Travelzoo Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Travelzoo in July 2014.

Terrible interview process. The recruiter was awesome and passed me on for a face to face interview. When I went in for the interview the lady sat there asked me no questions and just stared at me. I think she was prejudice due to my nationality and didn't want to interview me in the first place. I hope no one has to deal with this type if experience in the future.

Interview Questions
    • I am 10 years removed from high school and was asked what was I doing while I was in high school?!?!?   Answer Question

Intro Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Travelzoo in July 2011.

Very quick - that's the nice part. From phone interview to first meeting and being hired, was only two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How would you differentiate Travelzoo from its competitors   View Answer
    Fairly quick and straightforward

Senior Web Developer Interview

The first interview was technical. When we scheduled it by email I was told that I should come for a couple of hours to meet the team. In fact there was one developer and we talked about an hour. He was super-friendly and I felt perfectly at ease. I liked the questions and the general tone of conversation.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Travelzoo in June 2013.

Management on the East Coast. Always available means likely long hours. Role acts a hub for partners, publishers and consumers to vet deals. They are very serious about getting the best deals for consumers. Turn around time seems like it could be tight to manage all deals.

Interview Questions
    • How do feel about multitasking in a very complex demanding high stress situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Travelzoo in June 2013.

While the staff members I interacted with were personable and friendly, I felt the company and interviewing process overall were a bit disorganized. There were long periods waiting for responses and I was forced to reschedule interviews and the writing test several times due to a number of issues that arose.

I was contacted within a day of submitting my application for the Associate Producer position asking my availability for a phone screening. I replied on a Friday afternoon (a little late notice, admittedly) suggesting a time the following Tuesday but did not hear back from the HR rep until the next Tuesday (HR was out of town). After agreeing on a time for later that week, the HR rep did not call at the scheduled time. An hour after our phone interview was supposed to start, I received an email explaining that meetings went over and the HR rep could not make the call (which is understandable).

The following week, I finally had my phone screening, after which I was asked to complete a writing exercise. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and the questions were fairly standard (pointers would include doing some research on company and its products).

When it came time to do my writing test (you let the HR rep know when you have an hour or so to complete the exercise, which is timed and takes place over email), there were more scheduling problems. The first night, the test never arrived. The second night, the test also did not arrive on time, so I started to get ready for bed and was surprised to find it in my inbox 45 minutes later. The writing assignment was fairly easy and short; all you have to do is demonstrate you can write in Travelzoo style (i.e., for the Top 20 or Newflash page).

I was then brought in for a face-to-face interview with a Senior Producer. The interview was pretty standard and the questions were not too challenging. Again, I would recommend doing some research on Travelzoo's services (local deals, travel deals, what goes on the Top 20, etc.) and how they measure up to their competitors.

After meeting with the Senior Producer, I was asked to interview with the Executive Producer. Not really expecting this, I felt I had exhausted most of my energy and froze up a bit at the end when asked if I had any questions, which ended the interview kind of abruptly. I figure this is the primary reason I did not receive an offer (or even hear back from anyone regarding the position).

Overall, the interview process was pretty easy compared to other places I've applied, though the company does not seem to be the most organized and is definitely lacking in the communication department. Side note: my roommate (who has multiple years in the travel industry) also applied at Travelzoo for the Producer position and experienced similar problems (i.e., writing assignment not arriving the first time), ultimately never hearing back after this step.

Interview Questions
    • Oddly, they also asked the Starbucks question (estimate how much Starbucks earns in revenue every year). I really didn't see how deducing this could demonstrate critical thinking ability (also, you would never go meet with a client without having done SOME research).

Another good question: How do you think our products/services compare to competitors' (i.e., local, travel, accommodation deals)?
        Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Travelzoo.

Flew to Chicago for in person interview after having initial phone interview with HR Representative. Very professional interview process, however not uptight and stuffy. That being said, I would recommend dressing very professionally and have a copy of your resume in hand... even if you already emailed it to HR or posted it elsewhere.

In person interview lasted about an hour and was notified by phone later that day that I'd be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What do you see happening to the future of the "daily deal" industry?   Answer Question
    I was happy with the offer and did not see a need to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Travelzoo in October 2010.

Applied online for Associate Producer position. Interviewed via phone and sent writing samples. Performed a writing test after phone interview. Called again for an in-person interview and an interview with the team. Interviewed on Halloween (people were dressed up, so office felt kind of fun) and felt very comfortable with the team members and hiring manager. Hiring manager asked me about my experiences traveling and looking for travel deals. She also had me estimate how much money Starbucks makes a year to see my problem solving skills. I felt very disadvantaged while interviewing because I was not financially able to travel abroad during college and travel experience/knowledge seemed to play a big role in the position.

The office is very open and seems to foster a collaborative, team atmosphere. Big windows and a ton of light, so it's not your typical 'cubicle-land.'

I interviewed on a Friday and heard back on Tuesday (in what seemed to be a copy/pasted rejection form) someone else matched the background and experience wanted. It sounds like the decision was already made before I interviewed. Followed up with a polite e-mail thanking them for their time asking a question and never received a response (after the e-mail explicitly stated to contact if I had any questions).

If you apply here, make sure you have experience traveling abroad! I feel that was a big reason why I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate how much Starbucks makes in a year.   View Answer

Associate Producer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Travelzoo.

Lots of questions about travel. Questions to test your morals. Know the competition (Groupon, LivingSocial, Expedia, etc...).

Also, two questions the bosses love to ask are:

-- How much does Starbucks make a year?
    -- How many stoplights are there in the US?

Most people do not know the correct answer and you don't need to either. You do, however, need to know how to answer it. They will give you a piece of paper and they will want you to work out your answer on paper. The goal is to see HOW you think. I was good friends with one of the recruiters and she hated these questions because she'd find an incredibly gifted person who she wouldn't be able to hire because they answered these questions incorrectly.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation (the offer seemed firm anyway). $50K a year and three weeks vacation. Had to fly out for interview on my own dime as the company refused to pay. Also, long lag in between interviews. By the time they got back to me to offer the job I only had a week and a half to start. Ended up leaving my previous job without two weeks notice.

Assistant Producer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Travelzoo.

I applied online and was contacted by Travelzoo shortly after. We scheduled a phone interview for the following week. I was emailed again after the phone interview to schedule another interview with an associate producer. There were some scheduling conflicts and I did not hear back from Travelzoo for a bit. I received an email later on saying they had found a more suitable candidate for the position.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were fairly basic. They asked what I thought the position duties entailed, why I would be a good fit for the company/position, what I though their business model was, etc. Be sure to sign up for Travelzoo's newsletter before applying to get a better idea of what they are selling and how they position themselves.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Travelzoo.

Before any in person interview, they have you do a 40 minute writing exercise via email. Not nearly enough time to complete effectively, but that may be the point. They want you to process a vast array of information and create two separate ads (including extra research) in that amount of time. One local deal, one international.

Interview Questions
    • None, position was eliminated before hiring process continued.   Answer Question

Worked for Travelzoo? Contribute to the Community!