Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
  www.amazon.com

Interview Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview Seattle, WA

Traverse nodes in a binary tree

Answer

Interview Answer

10 Answers

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

void traverse(Node node){
   if(node == null) return null;
   System.out.println(node.data);
   traverse(node.left);
   traverse(node.right);
}

devsathish on May 6, 2012

It can't be that this candidate really serves on a language committee. I find it difficult to believe that someone who serves on a language standards committee doesn't care about the difference between an O(N^2) and an O(logN) solution, for that would be horrifying indeed. And in defense of the employee conducting the interview, if I did see a candidate that didn't care about the difference between the two, I really wouldn't care what they have on their resume. They could be a Turing award winner for all I would care.

There's a valid point about spatial locality, etc, but for something like N = 10^6 (for example), I'll take even O(logN) disk reads (*gasp*), over N^2 quick register operations any day..

Anonymous on Jul 24, 2012

Well, I do serve on language committees, two to be precise (though one is mostly in a feed forward role). And I do care about the difference between O(N^2) and O(log N)! I gave a complex answer to the interviewer because there is so much "it depends on the situation and circumstance". Other companies had interview processes which coped far better with the ambiguity, but from what I saw Amazon's are very "by the book" black and white. Look, I interviewed for four roles within Amazon and all four interview experiences ranged between bad and truly awful, which is why I chose neither the worst nor best experience and wrote up a review of it here as representative of *my* personal experience. Some of my experiences with other Fortune 500 companies were equally awful, and there are reviews for those on here too. However, I did also have many very good interview experiences, and I begin work with one Fortune 500 company in the Fall with whom my interview experience - over 20+ hours over twelve interviewers - couldn't have been better. Tip to interviewers: it *really* helps if you at least read the abstracts of the academic papers the interviewee has written. You could easily segment those companies which do this from those which don't, and Amazon from my four experiences with them don't or didn't.

Original poster on Jul 25, 2012

I hope you weren't offended too much by my earlier comment. Your explanation just now puts things into better context. I have to admit that upon initially reading your original review it wasn't very clear to me that you understood or cared about the difference between O(logN) and O(N^4). If the company was also unclear on that, you have to admit that one can see why they wouldn't extend an offer.

Of course not everything is about big-O, but you should still be able to give answers in terms of it when needed. It's great if you know about data locality and caches, but you should still be able to show the basic analysis too. On another point, of course you should try to reuse code, but you also need to demonstrate (in an interview more than ever) that you have the skills to write new code when necessary, not by pointing them to some open source project you did, but by writing some nice, clean code for them right on the spot. A demonstration of your high skill level is more impressive than a description. It's a proof-by-demonstration sort of culture.

You might ask why anyone should re-invent the wheel, but I'll leave you with this: if you can't prove to them that you *can* reinvent the wheel, why would they believe you have the creativity needed to invent a motorcycle?

Anonymous on Jul 26, 2012

Wasn't offended at all - in fact, your comment is by far the best made on this thread (as you can tell from everything else being deleted by glassdoor). And besides, caustic opinions of your opinions are part of publishing an opinion, I'm well used to it.

My issue with Amazon - and it's one shared by my buddies within Amazon too - is there is too much box ticking of standardized procedures in the recruitment process. That rewards rote pre-learning the answers to the live programming tasks you do over the telephone (search google, you'll find precompiled cheat sheets for Amazon and indeed many of the big tech companies). That's hardly "writing some nice, clean code for them right on the spot" as you suggest. A github repo with 40,000 lines of code stretching over a decade is much harder to fake. Amazon ought to hire on that in preference, but their recruitment process requires a standardized approach.

The company I start with in the Fall used a completely unstructured process. They interview you on things that THEY don't know anything about let alone you, and topics which have absolutely nothing to do with compsci or technology, so for example one topic was on mining copper on the Mongolian steppes. I know very little about that, and neither did they. But as the elite of the elite team (within the company) said at the start of the interview, "we're not going to talk at all about anything to do with code during this interview. We'll know if you're a good hire by seeing how you think on topics both you and us know nothing about".

That company offered the lowest compensation of any offers I received. But boy, what a great interview experience, so I had to accept. I hope working there is even 10% as good as they came across during the interviews. If so, I'm more than happy with lower pay.

I'm no 10x programmer, maybe a 4x, so I'm not the perfect recruit. But I don't think Amazon should have failed me on stage 1 of each of the four roles I interviewed for. Hence the review.

Original poster on Jul 26, 2012

Mining copper on the Mongolian steppes, huh? That must be a very unique company.

Anonymous on Jul 26, 2012

They're actually a multinational quite similar to Amazon - well known to consumers, occasionally known for moments of brilliance, otherwise fairly dull and dependable.

Mining copper was one of many curve ball interview topics. Off the top of my head other topics included the technology policies of Kim Jung Il in North Korea, something about water and Tar Sands in Canada which I forget now, whether and how Russians are naturally good at science and math, how would you go about reconciling quantum physics with relativity, conflict resolution strategies between culturally disjunctive teams - and the list goes on much further (all this was many months ago now, so I'm forgetting). All this for a standard software engineering role, so I'm expected to be in a cubicle coding, not organizing world peace. Looking back on it now, it should have freaked me out much more than it did at the time. I suppose I was interviewing with so many companies at the same time it all just blurred.

Anyway, we're getting off topic from Amazon's interview strategies. Amazon *are* a great company. They've soaked up the best and brightest from Microsoft particularly and it's a much less dysfunctional working environment than Microsoft where something went wrong a long time ago, but no one can agree exactly what, and even if they could agree, top management don't seriously think it's a problem. However Amazon is naturally silo-ized, where the consumer goods division is quite different to consumer services which is quite different to cloud provision and even cloud reliability provision. The problem, I think, is that Amazon's HR would prefer every engineer to be hired according to similar criteria, and that's where this box ticking standardized list of coding exercises comes from.

As a comparison, Google's silo structure and hiring process is not dissimilar, though Google do run an elite expedited recruitment pathway which skips all the normal hoop jumping nonsense at the cost of fast tracking only those with the very best academic grades from the best US universities, or are famous. I have pretty terrible grades with a lot of bare scraping passes, none from Ivy League anything, and I'm not Dennis Richie or Rob Pike or Guido van Rossum famous. Still, it's interesting how companies start to struggle so hard with high skilled recruitment as they get bigger. It's not like there aren't very good HR books on the topic, yet no one in the HRs of these big famous tech multinationals seems to ever read them (or if they do, they sure don't implement them).

I guess what I'm saying is that tech recruitment is hard, but it's not NP hard. Just be organized and constantly reflect on your hiring system. A very good start for Amazon would be to read these reviews on Glassdoor, and proactively enact changes so they're not failing candidates like me at stage 1 in the interview process (fail me later for lack of fit sure, but not on the initial programming exercise when I have 40k lines of open source contributions and I serve on ISO - that sort of indicates I'm not an incompetent programmer). Amazon also ought to knock some humility into some of their engineers, as a minority of them were rude and ignorant (I had one storm out during the telephone interview after giving a torrent of invective about me personally after I showed him up on a series of technical mistakes, and his colleague was clearly very embarrassed. As I said to him, "really, honestly don't worry about it, I've heard far worse said about me. But you can forget me ever working for Amazon after that"). I haven't posted a review of that interview on glassdoor because it was probably not representative of Amazon in general and the guy in question was probably just having a really bad day, though as I mentioned earlier, all four of my interviews did not go well.

I just hope my review here has some effect within Amazon one day. As I said earlier, it *is* a great company.

Original poster on Jul 27, 2012

I agree with you. You have to focus on the person's ability to find answers not re-invent the wheel. If I were interviewing someone...as long as he can google a problem take me to an answer which perfectly fits the needs and then explain the solution (instead of blindly copying/pasting it) to me clearly, that would be the perfect candidate for the job.

These kind of questions are only suitable for fresh out of college grads not people who have been in the industry for a long time.

NikB on Jul 29, 2012

@NikB: Thanks for the comment. Certainly when I've been interviewing others, I'm generally fairly shocked at how awful the average candidate is - I mean, I catch an easy third who have lied on their resume and that's with five minutes of googling (depending on the lie, if they admit it in the interview, I actually give them a pass on it because I know what it's like to have poor grades from no name universities). About two thirds clearly have no integrity and will tell you whatever they think you want to hear, and I personally can't have that on my own teams (I won't veto hires for other teams on this though). About three quarters have no evidence that they seriously self-engage in continuing professional development e.g. teaching themselves new skills not directly needed for work.

I would *far* prefer a poor programmer who continually self improves over a rock star programmer. I would *far* prefer a programmer who uploads even crappy non-reusable bits of personal script to github than someone who claims they have always been too busy to get round to it. It gives me extra information to evaluate that candidate. Less information = more uncertainty = much higher chance of me choosing elsewhere.

A true coder codes all the time including people and social structures, and I want those on my team irrespective of skill. I agree only about half of those are willing to share their work with others, so lack of sharing does exclude a lot of worthwhile hires.

But I guess we all have our personal preferences on what we think works best. Some colleagues of mine who I respect greatly think my hiring philosophy bananas!

Original poster on Jul 30, 2012

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.