Trek Bicycle Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2015

2.8

Video Interview

Interview

I was abroad while I was interviewing so they were nice enough to let me Skype. The connection was terrible but they still liked me enough to let me go on to where I just had to edit a few videos to show them my skills.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember but nothing stuck out as particularly "out there."   Answer Question

Internshiop Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Trek Bicycle (Nashua, NH) in April 2015.

Interview

After getting an interview with HR, I was put in contact with the Bontrager engineering group. Two engineers interviewed me asking what seemed to be the standard questions about myself, and school. Although the interview was only supposed to last a half hour, the call went on for an hour total. After they had finished asking their questions I asked about their favorite projects, places to live if I was hired, and what they liked about the Trek community.

Interview Questions

• What was the most valuable lesson you learned while in college?   Answer Question

Warranty Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

Meet with managers and then sit with a current employee to get an idea of what you would deal with on a daily basis and get an idea of what the job would be

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI).

Interview

First started off with a phone interview with the person from HR who was in charge of hiring this position. She asked a lot lot lot of questions about my current positions. One tip is to only put things in your current job descriptions on your resume that pertains to the position you are applying for. To be honest, after getting off the phone I thought for sure I was not going to get another interview. Questions were a bit odd and a lot of concern about my current position and what it had in common with what I would be doing at Trek. I received a call 3 days later for a second (in person) interview. I did a lot of research on the company prior to attending the second interview. The day of the interview I showed up 20 minutes early... and was brought back right on time. I received a tour of the amazing facility by the same HR representative I spoke to during the first interview. I then met with 7 different individuals that I would be working with. They all focused on asking me about concerns that they had with how my current position would relate to the position at Trek. Do not be afraid to address concerns they have. I think it was great that they were able to address these concerns right away, so I wasn't shocked later on. After several hours of interviewing they offered me to stay for lunch, which I decided to pass on- looking back I should have taken them up on the offer. After leaving I felt confident that I blew the interview out of the water! I followed up with thank you letters to each individual that were hand written and personalized. I had not heard anything by the date they promised (2 weeks later)... and thought that maybe I did not get the position. I emailed to HR representative to follow up and was informed they were still making a decision. 4 days later I received an email from the director who asked me to address some concerns she had with my previous positions. We set up a third interview on the phone so I could chat through some of her concerns and I asked her several follow up questions about what she wanted from me and how her concerns may hinder my role. The next day I was offered the position. Trek goes through this intense interview process for a good reason. They want to make sure they have the right people for the right positions. I came in the the position knowing how to avoid some of the concerns they had, which was great and I learned what was expected of me within the roll. BE YOURSELF- ADDRESS CONCERNS- BE GRATEFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO INTERVIEW

Interview Questions

• On a scale from 1- 10 how happy are you? On a scale from 1-10 how smart do you think you are?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no room for negotiation

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI).

Interview

Good. No complaint. This is not an easy question to answer in fifty words or more. The process was fairly standard. I met a human recourses person and then met the head of the department. We both had a good feel for the potential position. I felt at home and got the job.

Negotiation

Smooth

Ascend Support Tech Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Trek Bicycle in April 2014.

Interview

I had to apply several times before getting a call back. Started with phone interview, then had 2 interviews on site. It seemed like over kill for a phone support position, but after being there it made more sense. I got to meet with a lot of people on the team and get a good understanding of the job. Pretty informal while there.

Interview Questions

• If you had 3 months to do whatever I wanted, what would you do?"   1 Answer

Spouse got another job and we decided to move to the west side.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied online, had two phone interviews and one day long on-site interview with 10+ people. The face to face interviews were done either one on one or in groups upto three. I first received a tour of the facility which was very impressive. The interviews were very conversational and pretty easy.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in June 2013.

Interview

Process took about a month total from application to hire. One phone call from HR, then follow up call from dept. a week later, anther week for first interview, Sent an email letting me know I was hired about 10 days later. Friendly, standard questions, Relaxed atmosphere in the interview, 1:1 then group interview.

Interview Questions

• tell us about yourself, challenging situations, design questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

take it or leave it

PHP Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trek Bicycle.

Interview

5 hour long interview process with the entire team plus HR and another web manager. Most of the time was spent talking about the company and position and not asking me questions so it was a very easy interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Sent an email with offer

Business Solutions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in October 2010.

Interview

I had applied for the position several months before and actually forgot about the application because it had been quite a while. HR Phone screening. The HR rep contacted me and communicated that they were interested in moving forward. At that time, he conducted a mini phone interview which asked -Why I wanted to work at Trek -What attracted me to this position -What specific skills could I offer that would be fitting to this position. We then set up a time to interview with the hiring manager over the phone. Phone Interview- Hiring Manager That interview was scheduled for 45 minutes but went almost 1.5 hours, which was good. It was an open format with the questions relating directly to experience from my resume. I appreciated this format because I think it helped give a good picture of the experience that I could bring to the team. At the end of the call, the hiring manager invited me for an in-person interview for the following week, stating that they were on a tight timeline for this position and would like to have a decision by the following Friday. In Person Interview The on-site interview was nearly 5 hours long. It consisted of a Tour of the facilities and individual meetings with the with HR Rep, Hiring Manager, CIO, Product Manager, and IT Manager. Tour The facilities are very impressive. The culture comes out very clearly just by walking in the building. Very open, collaborative, creative. Bikes are on display everywhere. They have a state of the art workout facility on-site with various workout classes that can be taken during work hours and after. They have a commuter room in which to store bikes for those who ride in to work, along with a mechanic for tune-ups. There's also a vast amount of bike trails on-site for employees to use. Culture The environment is very casual. The breakdown of age groups seems pretty balanced, but minimal diversity, (not that much diversity can be found in Waterloo. WI in general.) Their credo focuses on minimal bureaucracy and the organization is quite flat (reinforced by the fact that I was interviewed by the CIO) It seems to be a truly medium-sized firm with all of the growing pains that medium-sized firms face. Not large enough to have an extreme amount of structure, but too big for a lassiez faire approach. so it seemed that there is an absence of overall strategic vision across teams. Individual Interviews None of the interviews has an extreme amount of structure or order to them. They poked around at my resume and asked a few planted questions. The Product Manager gave me a BA scenario to talk through; the CIO asked culture-related questions like how I structure my day, what was the best criticism I've ever gotten; The Hiring Manager asked me to describe what made me unique, and how I would handle communication and relationship conflicts within teams. The IT Manager did not have a plan at all and mostly just looked at my resume and asked about things I had done. The Hiring manager had promised several times throughout the day that they were planning to make a decision the next day and that they would let me know either way. He described that they would meet to do a ranking of the candidates and even if I was runner up and they needed more time, he would call me to give me a status update the next day. I thought this was quite a strange and unnecessary promise to make, because knowing how those decision processes go, 1) it is not easy to make a decision so quickly when 4 other decision-makers are involved 2) it is not wise to let your runner up know that he or she is runner up in case things don't work out with your first candidate 3) it is generally accepted that companies do not follow up immediately after an interview. But at the time, I appreciated their earnest effort to be forthcoming about their decision process. I had felt that the interviews went well and that I would be considered for the position. However, it has been a month and I never did receive the follow-up that they had planned on giving so quickly. I did follow up via email once to say thank you and once to check in, but received no response. Overall the process was a positive one, and the company is impressive. I appreciate that they have moved forward with a different candidate and I chalk the lack of follow-up to the standard hiring procedures; however I was dismayed to have actually believed that they would follow up like they had promised. Or maybe that's just the rejection talking :) Best of luck to whomever was hired!

Interview Questions

• Why would I hire you instead of the 9 other candidates? What makes you unique?   Answer Question