Triage Consulting Group

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.6

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

- Submit through college recruitment service
    - Got a first and only round behavioral interview (5 people selected in total)
    - Will be getting a decision from them within the next 2 weeks

Interview Questions
    • If your roommate was here, what would he/she say about you?
      (Strength and Weakness type question)

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in February 2014.

Triage came to our university twice during this school year. Both times they had info session as well as a table at our job fairs. I applied online and was emailed a week later for a first round interview on campus.

The interview was thirty minutes long with a principle member from Triage at our career service center. It was pretty conversational and was focused on the resume, interest in Triage, and to get to know you more on a personal level.

They contact you the next week for a second round interview in San Francisco if you do get accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in February 2014.

Originally recruited out of college, was given first round interview. Interview was very relaxed, yet sincere. It would not necessarily easy, but rather low-key and communicative. First interview was about 30 minutes on campus. I thought it went very smoothly- mainly reviewed resume and talked leadership and passion about healthcare industry

Interview Questions
    • No question was completely unexpected at all. They asked a lot of general questions about my career ambition, resume, leadership experience, etc.   Answer Question

Was given better offer by other company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Triage Consulting Group in February 2014.

The resume drop and the interview process is very close together, so be prepared just in case you make it to interviews. The first round is behavioral based with some questions about Why Triage, Why Healthcare? Why consulting, etc. They want to know how you work in a team. I got to interview with the CFO which was really cool knowing that the most senior people at the company were still invested in the hiring process. The recruiting lead at each campus was super helpful and willing to answer any questions I had when I would email her. I really enjoyed the interview process. It was very comfortable and made me want to work for the company even more!
    Second round interview is all day at the SF office, started with breakfast and you met the two associates you were going to have lunch with later on, learned about triage with all the other interviewees, had lunch with the two associates (which let me learn more about the company, they were super cool and really nice) and then had 2-3 more behavioral interviews and the case study which you did at the same time as everyone else.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

Hired after being an intern.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation phase. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in January 2014.

I had an inside referral to Triage Consulting Group. The company is looking more for a cultural fit so I don't think work experience or skills matter as much. First, I had a skype interview with an associate. He was very friendly and advised me to provide better lighting for my next Skype interview. The second skype was with two associates. That went well, too. I was invited for a third-round interview at the office. It was a long day - there was four 45 minutes interviews and a lunch interview. For lunch, I was paired with two associates so I was able to ask them about the city of San Francisco, nightlife, and the nature of the work environment. I was given an analytical assignment to do where I calculated hospital reimbursement rates. The entire experience was pleasant. I come from a traditional public health background so my interviewers didn't think I was a good fit for the business role. I did not receive an offer.

The company culture seemed like a lot of fun. Lots of young people, happy hours, and volunteer opportunities. However, the work is like glorified auditing... not really consulting.

I was surprised at the lack of diversity of the company. Many individuals come from rich, WASP-y backgrounds. They was no employees of color working at the firm. That surprised me. Also, everyone seemed to be from the state of California.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in November 2013.

I applied through on-campus recruiting by sending in an application and a resume. I heard back and got an interview about a week later. The interview was a 30 minute behavioral interview that was really really casual. He only asked me one real behavioral question and the rest was kinda just saying why I wanted to work for Triage and what interested me about the work, which I bsed pretty well and said I loved working with numbers and the intricacies of the insurance industry and hospitals and patient synthesis.

Apparently I did well because I was contacted about 2 days later and was able to schedule a final round interview at their offices in San Francisco. They let me pick a flight reimburseable up to $250 from LAX and I had to send in a reimbursement form after the interviews.

I arrived at the office around 8:45 and they had me and 9 other candidates in the conference room. They had bagels and orange juice but I definitely should've eaten a real breakfast beforehand. Around 9:00, an associate and senior associate that you would be having lunch with later that day came in and introduced themselves and talked individually to us about the process. I then had 2 45 minute behavioral interviews that were very similar to my on campus one. Super casual and just why healthcare, why consulting, why Triage, so have lots of questions ready for them because there honestly isn't much to talk about. We then had a 15 minute break and then a 45 minute introduction to the case study. This is where we went through a sample of what the case study would be and pretty much gave us a template to follow along with when doing the actual 45 minute case study after. The case study was basically the work that Triage does. They gave you 3 different cases that included all of the billings for the procedures that the patient had, the insurance policy associated with that patient, and how the hospital decided to bill the insurance. In each of the cases, there was a way to charge the insurance more money to get more for the hospital. For example, if the hospital charged the insurance for the 3 days in the ER and it was a total of $12,000, and then you look on the patient procedures and see that implants were done, find that procedure in the policy associated with the patient, and see that this procedure can be billed $25,000 plus the $12,000 bill, then you say that this is how they should've done it. Basically, you're just searching for information that isn't necessarily apparent in the billings and policy but you just have to keep searching. I second guessed some of my decisions but just make sure you finish it.

After this case, the associate and senior associate I met at "breakfast" took me out to a nice lunch to just chat about anything and everything (they claimed to have no say in the decision process for Triage). We went to a great lunch and then I came back for another 45 minute behavioral interview. This one went the same as the rest.

After 2 days, I was notified by phone that I got the offer and they then forwarded me an email of the letter, but it didn't include much about the benefits and what not.

The process was overall pretty easy and only took about a month. Make sure you emphasize that you really are numbers orientated and are interested in the intricacies of health insurance and hospitals. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • In 5 years, what do you want to be saying to yourself on a Sunday afternoon about your past 5 years?   Answer Question

Salary wasn't as good as another offer I received and the work didn't seem as interesting to me

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

I interviewed on-campus and was invited back for a full-round interview. This consisted of two interviews with a principal, a "case" (essentially a toe-in-the-water exposure to identification of underpayments in hospital reimbursements), lunch with an associate and a senior associate, and a final interview with a manager. Overall, everyone is extremely friendly and accommodating.

Associate Consultant Interview

There were several steps in the interview process. I sent in my resume/cover letter and had a phone interview about a week later. I then had a one on one interview on campus. A few weeks later I was flown up to SF for final round interview which took about half a day. 3 Interviews, lunch, and a test.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral, asked about experiences from my resume. The test was not difficult, no need to stress about it.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in October 2013.

I attended multiple on-campus recruiting events, including both an information session and career fair, before applying to the firm. I was invited to a first round, on-campus interview. It lasted about 30 minutes and was very conversational. I was then notified the next day that I made it to the second (and final) round interview at the firm. That interview was about 4 hours, and included a lunch with two associates, two interviews, and a case study. The case study is pretty straight forward and involves their day to day work. The people at Triage were very friendly throughout the entire interview process, and took a genuine interest in getting to know you. I was notified a few days later about an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The case study is straight forward, requiring reading comprehension and basic math skills. It gives great insight into the day-to-day work of an associate.   Answer Question
    No negotiation