Triage Consulting Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2014
Updated Oct 24, 2014

2.6

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

Hired after being an intern.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation phase. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in November 2013.

I applied through on-campus recruiting by sending in an application and a resume. I heard back and got an interview about a week later. The interview was a 30 minute behavioral interview that was really really casual. He only asked me one real behavioral question and the rest was kinda just saying why I wanted to work for Triage and what interested me about the work, which I bsed pretty well and said I loved working with numbers and the intricacies of the insurance industry and hospitals and patient synthesis.

Apparently I did well because I was contacted about 2 days later and was able to schedule a final round interview at their offices in San Francisco. They let me pick a flight reimburseable up to $250 from LAX and I had to send in a reimbursement form after the interviews.

I arrived at the office around 8:45 and they had me and 9 other candidates in the conference room. They had bagels and orange juice but I definitely should've eaten a real breakfast beforehand. Around 9:00, an associate and senior associate that you would be having lunch with later that day came in and introduced themselves and talked individually to us about the process. I then had 2 45 minute behavioral interviews that were very similar to my on campus one. Super casual and just why healthcare, why consulting, why Triage, so have lots of questions ready for them because there honestly isn't much to talk about. We then had a 15 minute break and then a 45 minute introduction to the case study. This is where we went through a sample of what the case study would be and pretty much gave us a template to follow along with when doing the actual 45 minute case study after. The case study was basically the work that Triage does. They gave you 3 different cases that included all of the billings for the procedures that the patient had, the insurance policy associated with that patient, and how the hospital decided to bill the insurance. In each of the cases, there was a way to charge the insurance more money to get more for the hospital. For example, if the hospital charged the insurance for the 3 days in the ER and it was a total of $12,000, and then you look on the patient procedures and see that implants were done, find that procedure in the policy associated with the patient, and see that this procedure can be billed $25,000 plus the $12,000 bill, then you say that this is how they should've done it. Basically, you're just searching for information that isn't necessarily apparent in the billings and policy but you just have to keep searching. I second guessed some of my decisions but just make sure you finish it.

After this case, the associate and senior associate I met at "breakfast" took me out to a nice lunch to just chat about anything and everything (they claimed to have no say in the decision process for Triage). We went to a great lunch and then I came back for another 45 minute behavioral interview. This one went the same as the rest.

After 2 days, I was notified by phone that I got the offer and they then forwarded me an email of the letter, but it didn't include much about the benefits and what not.

The process was overall pretty easy and only took about a month. Make sure you emphasize that you really are numbers orientated and are interested in the intricacies of health insurance and hospitals. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • In 5 years, what do you want to be saying to yourself on a Sunday afternoon about your past 5 years?   Answer Question

Salary wasn't as good as another offer I received and the work didn't seem as interesting to me

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

I interviewed on-campus and was invited back for a full-round interview. This consisted of two interviews with a principal, a "case" (essentially a toe-in-the-water exposure to identification of underpayments in hospital reimbursements), lunch with an associate and a senior associate, and a final interview with a manager. Overall, everyone is extremely friendly and accommodating.

Associate Consultant Interview

There were several steps in the interview process. I sent in my resume/cover letter and had a phone interview about a week later. I then had a one on one interview on campus. A few weeks later I was flown up to SF for final round interview which took about half a day. 3 Interviews, lunch, and a test.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral, asked about experiences from my resume. The test was not difficult, no need to stress about it.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in October 2013.

I attended multiple on-campus recruiting events, including both an information session and career fair, before applying to the firm. I was invited to a first round, on-campus interview. It lasted about 30 minutes and was very conversational. I was then notified the next day that I made it to the second (and final) round interview at the firm. That interview was about 4 hours, and included a lunch with two associates, two interviews, and a case study. The case study is pretty straight forward and involves their day to day work. The people at Triage were very friendly throughout the entire interview process, and took a genuine interest in getting to know you. I was notified a few days later about an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The case study is straight forward, requiring reading comprehension and basic math skills. It gives great insight into the day-to-day work of an associate.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in October 2013.

There was a 30 minute on-campus interview with a Manager that was very conversational. They mainly discuss your resume and try to get a feel for your personality. A couple days later I was notified that I was selected for an in-office final round in Atlanta. All of the people were extremely friendly, and the two behavioral interviews were very straightforward. There is a case study component, but I do not think it is that important in their decision. Awesome company with an awesome culture!

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. It was mostly conversational   Answer Question

I had another offer that was more competitive

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in October 2013.

Started with an on-campus interview. Spoke with a manager. Then was invited for the final round at their Atlanta office. Interviewed with a manager, then a principal. Behavioral questions, pretty conversational, nothing too out there. Then had a case study - which was generally pretty easy. Then went to lunch with an Associate and Senior Associate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in October 2013.

First step was an on-campus 30 minute behavioral interview. I was interviewed by a principal and it was much more of a conversation than anything else.

If your selected for the second step, the company flies you out to the office in San Francisco where you have three 45 minute interviews with upper-level management. I was interviewed by the CEO, CFO, and a manager. I was also taken to lunch by an Associate and Senior Associate. After lunch there was a case.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the conversations are about past experiences and how it can be applied to your future career.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Associate Consultant Interview

Did the off campus recruiting. brief phone interview, very conversational. then had webinar with useless info (biggest waste of 45 min). then skype interview-- really friendly person. then in person 4 hour day. lunch with current associates. 5 interviews total.

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in September 2013.

I submitted by application online (came from a non-core campus). I received an email setting up a phone interview with a current Associate a few days later. The interview was very conversational and relaxed - basic background information and going over my resume with a few questions about the work Triage did. Unfortunately I was not asked back for the second round of interviews.

At the time I thought I did okay, but in retrospect I don't think I was a good fit for the company. They are looking for very extroverted people. Additionally, I came from a non-business/finance background so that may have put me at a disadvantage. Be sure to demonstrate your passion for healthcare, being a team player, and competence in quantitative analysis skills.