Triage Consulting Group

Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.5

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

Went through off campus recruiting in the summer. I had a quick Skype call (about 20 min) with a Senior associate just to gauge my interest in the position and talk very briefly about my resume. He also told me about his background and experiences at Triage. This went well and they emailed me to schedule 2, 45 minute back to back Skype calls with two Senior associates. These interviews were very much the same as the initial one. Very conversational, we talked about college, going abroad, living in SF, ect. Definitely not a stressful interview. After this they emailed me and invited me to fly up to SF for an in office interview. They tell you beforehand exactly how the interview will go…3 45 minute interviews with 3 different Principals at the company, lunch with 2 senior associates, and a case study. The day was really straight forward, you meet the senior associates you will be having lunch with in the morning and they walk you through your day. Ask them questions to relieve any of the nerves you have about interviewing. The senior associates I met were both super cool and gave me and definitely helped to calm me down. My first 45 min interview was pretty easy going, we talked about my interest in the healthcare system and my involvement in on campus clubs/groups (mostly my sorority). The second 45 min interview was a bit more nerve wracking because he asked me a lot of questions about my quantitative skills/work experience and I felt like I rambled a lot. He then saw that I studied abroad and we talked about traveling so I felt the interview ended on a positive not. After these two interviews we had the case study. They spend about 45 minutes explaining how insurance contracts and billing works and then you do a practice problem. Pay attention here because they literally tell you exactly what you will be doing for the case study. You then have 3 insurance contract 'problems' to work out. Despite them outlining what you do beforehand, I was still super confused. I finished the first one no problem, got most of the second one and hardly started the third question before time was up. Just make sure that, even if you don't complete all of the math, you write something in the 'explanation' portion to show that you understood the bigger picture (i.e., why the bill wasn't paid correctly due to some stipulation in the insurance contract). After the case study we went to lunch at a really nice restaurant right on the water. Obviously you are still interviewing here and should be well mannered/professional, but remember that a huge part of this interview process is looking past your skill sets to gauge you as a person. A lot of the associate's work involves travel and when it comes down to it, the senior associates interviewing you want to make sure that you're a cool person to be around and someone they wouldn't mind being stuck in an airport or hotel room with. That being said, the conversation here is a lot more casual. We talked about college, family, living in the city, adjusting to the work world, ext. This is a good opportunity to ask questions about company culture, I remember they told me a lot about what Triager's do to have fun, the bonding activities they have and trips they go on. They definitely sold me on it being a fun group of people to work with. It seems arbitrary but order a soda or coffee at lunch. It's a really long day and, especially after eating, you might feel like dropping to the floor from exhaustion. The caffeine will help. After lunch we went back and had the last 45 minute interview. She mostly asked what kind of questions I had about Triage, the interview process, the type of work I'd be doing. The one major thing I noticed after the day in general is that they want you to ask A LOT of questions. The interviews are very conversational, they really didn't ask very many behavioral questions that I remember, maybe 2 or 3. That being said, make sure you're prepared to talk about yourself but realize that there may be 15 minutes at the end that they stop asking you questions about your qualifications and so you need to have plenty of questions ready to fill time. I brought a resume holder and a notepad with me with a list of questions written down because I knew I wouldn't remember everything I wanted to ask. Overall the day was pretty straight forward, everyone was incredibly friendly and excited to have you there, and the interviews were not necessarily difficult. Despite this I still felt really bad about the day but I think I was overanalyzing everything I said during the interviews. I was also the only one in my interview group to not finish the case study and so that really rocked my confidence. What I realized later though is that they aren't necessarily looking for someone who knows everything about insurance contracts. They teach you all that in training, they mostly look for well rounded people who are adaptive and pick up on things quickly.

Interview Questions
    Salary is pretty good for entry-level, non negotiable

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

One telephone screening with a manager. This was a casual interview where the interviewer told me a little bit more about their company. We went through my resume and got to know eachother's backgrounds better. The next week I had a 1-hour skype interview with the same manager. This consisted of many behavioral questions, then a final 1-hour skype interview with the principal. The final interview was actually the easiest, he asked a few behavioral questions and asked why I wanted to get involved in the healthcare industry.

Interview Questions
    • Could you tell me about a time when you performed under pressure in a team environment?   Answer Question
    Would not accept any negotiation.

Claims Resolution Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

Applied Online. They called back with an initial phone interview with one person. Asked standard behavioral questions. Got a call back to come in for an onsite interview. It consisted of interviews with three people as well as a lunch with two current employees. It was very professional. Two of the three interviewers were very personable.

Interview Questions
    • There were no technical/analytical or unusual questions. I did get asked about a time Iworked with others when they would not have been pleased with my work.   Answer Question

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

Resume and coverletter
    On Campus Recruiting at first: They were really nice! If you find a small talk point to connect to the interviewer with it makes a big difference
    On Site interview: Bring you to their office, take you out to a really nice lunch :) They give you a case interview to work on which each person fills out on paper individually. Not too difficult and they break it down for you in easy to follow ways.

Interview Questions
    • They give a case study to test your understanding of basic math/logic/reasoning   Answer Question

I happened to get the chance to work abroad, which was my top choice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

Applied online, went through a phone screen, then had two Skype interviews with managers. Flown out to the SF office for an on-site interview. The interview day was very structured: breakfast, two interviews, went out to lunch with an Associate and Senior Associate, case study, and a final interview. Overall, I was very impressed by how organized and seamless the entire process was. My interviewers were extremely professional and personable--they actually responded to my thank you emails with advice. Seem to be very invested in their employees! The only thing that worried me during the process was that there seemed to be a lack of diversity (mainly Caucasian, seemed to be middle-upper income young folk--likely because the company has been recruiting from mainly UC schools).

Interview Questions
    Base pay + signing bonus (non-negotiable). Option of 5 different start days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

found through someone who went to the same school, applied, got first round phone interview, then second round skype interview then final round on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • very general interview questions, nothing difficult or unexpected   Answer Question
    still in interview process

Associate (First Year) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

On campus, casual interview followed by a full day on site

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, mostly asked about past experiences and interest in the company   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

Triage came out to my school for a recruiting event. I talked to a lot of their employees and got a first round interview. It was very conversational. I was asked to go to their office in SF for a final round. All 3 interviews were pretty similar to the first round. Case study was not hard. They tell you how to do it very well.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Triage Consulting Group in March 2014.

Made it through the second round of Skype interviews, didn't make it to the third. The first was really relaxed, I think she was a senior associate. The second round was a bit longer and more in depth, with managers. They ask standard questions, and fill up a lot of the time telling you about themselves. My mistake was downplaying my strengths to try to match what I thought they wanted. They really just want someone who has a genuinely good attitude, professional word choice, and gives confident answers without stumbling. Knowing a lot about the company through the website will set you apart too. They want people who are curious about the company., and people who will contribute to, not just appreciate, the friendly culture. They will give you a fair chance, just got to be in the moment and have the answers ready to go.

Interview Questions
    • What are five different words would your friends would use to describe you?   View Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in November 2013.

I applied through on-campus recruiting by sending in an application and a resume. I heard back and got an interview about a week later. The interview was a 30 minute behavioral interview that was really really casual. He only asked me one real behavioral question and the rest was kinda just saying why I wanted to work for Triage and what interested me about the work, which I bsed pretty well and said I loved working with numbers and the intricacies of the insurance industry and hospitals and patient synthesis.

Apparently I did well because I was contacted about 2 days later and was able to schedule a final round interview at their offices in San Francisco. They let me pick a flight reimburseable up to $250 from LAX and I had to send in a reimbursement form after the interviews.

I arrived at the office around 8:45 and they had me and 9 other candidates in the conference room. They had bagels and orange juice but I definitely should've eaten a real breakfast beforehand. Around 9:00, an associate and senior associate that you would be having lunch with later that day came in and introduced themselves and talked individually to us about the process. I then had 2 45 minute behavioral interviews that were very similar to my on campus one. Super casual and just why healthcare, why consulting, why Triage, so have lots of questions ready for them because there honestly isn't much to talk about. We then had a 15 minute break and then a 45 minute introduction to the case study. This is where we went through a sample of what the case study would be and pretty much gave us a template to follow along with when doing the actual 45 minute case study after. The case study was basically the work that Triage does. They gave you 3 different cases that included all of the billings for the procedures that the patient had, the insurance policy associated with that patient, and how the hospital decided to bill the insurance. In each of the cases, there was a way to charge the insurance more money to get more for the hospital. For example, if the hospital charged the insurance for the 3 days in the ER and it was a total of $12,000, and then you look on the patient procedures and see that implants were done, find that procedure in the policy associated with the patient, and see that this procedure can be billed $25,000 plus the $12,000 bill, then you say that this is how they should've done it. Basically, you're just searching for information that isn't necessarily apparent in the billings and policy but you just have to keep searching. I second guessed some of my decisions but just make sure you finish it.

After this case, the associate and senior associate I met at "breakfast" took me out to a nice lunch to just chat about anything and everything (they claimed to have no say in the decision process for Triage). We went to a great lunch and then I came back for another 45 minute behavioral interview. This one went the same as the rest.

After 2 days, I was notified by phone that I got the offer and they then forwarded me an email of the letter, but it didn't include much about the benefits and what not.

The process was overall pretty easy and only took about a month. Make sure you emphasize that you really are numbers orientated and are interested in the intricacies of health insurance and hospitals. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • In 5 years, what do you want to be saying to yourself on a Sunday afternoon about your past 5 years?   Answer Question

Salary wasn't as good as another offer I received and the work didn't seem as interesting to me