Triage Consulting Group

Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.5

44 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in January 2014.

I had an inside referral to Triage Consulting Group. The company is looking more for a cultural fit so I don't think work experience or skills matter as much. First, I had a skype interview with an associate. He was very friendly and advised me to provide better lighting for my next Skype interview. The second skype was with two associates. That went well, too. I was invited for a third-round interview at the office. It was a long day - there was four 45 minutes interviews and a lunch interview. For lunch, I was paired with two associates so I was able to ask them about the city of San Francisco, nightlife, and the nature of the work environment. I was given an analytical assignment to do where I calculated hospital reimbursement rates. The entire experience was pleasant. I come from a traditional public health background so my interviewers didn't think I was a good fit for the business role. I did not receive an offer.

The company culture seemed like a lot of fun. Lots of young people, happy hours, and volunteer opportunities. However, the work is like glorified auditing... not really consulting.

I was surprised at the lack of diversity of the company. Many individuals come from rich, WASP-y backgrounds. They was no employees of color working at the firm. That surprised me. Also, everyone seemed to be from the state of California.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in November 2013.

I applied through on-campus recruiting by sending in an application and a resume. I heard back and got an interview about a week later. The interview was a 30 minute behavioral interview that was really really casual. He only asked me one real behavioral question and the rest was kinda just saying why I wanted to work for Triage and what interested me about the work, which I bsed pretty well and said I loved working with numbers and the intricacies of the insurance industry and hospitals and patient synthesis.

Apparently I did well because I was contacted about 2 days later and was able to schedule a final round interview at their offices in San Francisco. They let me pick a flight reimburseable up to $250 from LAX and I had to send in a reimbursement form after the interviews.

I arrived at the office around 8:45 and they had me and 9 other candidates in the conference room. They had bagels and orange juice but I definitely should've eaten a real breakfast beforehand. Around 9:00, an associate and senior associate that you would be having lunch with later that day came in and introduced themselves and talked individually to us about the process. I then had 2 45 minute behavioral interviews that were very similar to my on campus one. Super casual and just why healthcare, why consulting, why Triage, so have lots of questions ready for them because there honestly isn't much to talk about. We then had a 15 minute break and then a 45 minute introduction to the case study. This is where we went through a sample of what the case study would be and pretty much gave us a template to follow along with when doing the actual 45 minute case study after. The case study was basically the work that Triage does. They gave you 3 different cases that included all of the billings for the procedures that the patient had, the insurance policy associated with that patient, and how the hospital decided to bill the insurance. In each of the cases, there was a way to charge the insurance more money to get more for the hospital. For example, if the hospital charged the insurance for the 3 days in the ER and it was a total of $12,000, and then you look on the patient procedures and see that implants were done, find that procedure in the policy associated with the patient, and see that this procedure can be billed $25,000 plus the $12,000 bill, then you say that this is how they should've done it. Basically, you're just searching for information that isn't necessarily apparent in the billings and policy but you just have to keep searching. I second guessed some of my decisions but just make sure you finish it.

After this case, the associate and senior associate I met at "breakfast" took me out to a nice lunch to just chat about anything and everything (they claimed to have no say in the decision process for Triage). We went to a great lunch and then I came back for another 45 minute behavioral interview. This one went the same as the rest.

After 2 days, I was notified by phone that I got the offer and they then forwarded me an email of the letter, but it didn't include much about the benefits and what not.

The process was overall pretty easy and only took about a month. Make sure you emphasize that you really are numbers orientated and are interested in the intricacies of health insurance and hospitals. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • In 5 years, what do you want to be saying to yourself on a Sunday afternoon about your past 5 years?   Answer Question

Salary wasn't as good as another offer I received and the work didn't seem as interesting to me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in October 2013.

First step was an on-campus 30 minute behavioral interview. I was interviewed by a principal and it was much more of a conversation than anything else.

If your selected for the second step, the company flies you out to the office in San Francisco where you have three 45 minute interviews with upper-level management. I was interviewed by the CEO, CFO, and a manager. I was also taken to lunch by an Associate and Senior Associate. After lunch there was a case.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the conversations are about past experiences and how it can be applied to your future career.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Very pleasurable interview process in general. They came to campus recruiting, I got my name in through the info session, followed by a simple behavioral first round interview on campus (just went over my resume and relevant work experience). Was selected for a final round interview in San Francisco which was long, but a smooth process. Three 45 minute interviews with principals broken up by an hour lunch a senior and junior associate. All the interviews were very relaxed with only one asking tougher questions. Also included a case interview which was really just simple algebra, but be sure to pay close attention as they explain how it's done because if you miss something it can hurt your score. Not similar to other consulting firms case interviews, more of what the actual entry level work is like there, which is essentially just insurance report auditing for hospitals.

Interview Questions
    • The case interview was the most difficult part simply because I missed a few of the details as it was explained. Like I said, just pay close attention to the instructor and you should be fine assuming you understand algebra.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Triage Consulting Group.

They recruit from several main campuses. Generally, the campus recruitment lead is an associate that has graduated from there. They really want you to get hired so don't be afraid to talk to them and ask for advice. I highly recommend speaking/visiting them at all their events.

From there you do an on campus interview with an director/partner. If you pass, you move on to the in office all day interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in February 2013.

Submitted my application through on-campus recruiting. 30 minute on-campus interview followed by a 6-hour in office interview the next week. I found out I got the job about 2 weeks later, although others found out after a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • I actually messed up the case study pretty bad, so clearly that is not a deal breaker. The three interviews I had on-site were all conversational, only a couple standard interview questions were asked. Just be friendly and natural and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in February 2013.

I was an off-campus recruit so the process was a bit different for me. I had a skype screening with an associate there and we talked about basic stuff more or less—why I wanted to work for Triage, am I familiar with their business model, etc. I then flew in to interview with two managers. I nailed my first interview, it was behavioral, but the second partner specifically wanted to hear about passion for healthcare. Make sure you have passion for healthcare. And mentioning a remote interest in business school is a big no no.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Went through 2 interviews, a 30 minute on-campus interview and a 6 hour interview at the SF office. Interviewed with 2 principals and 1 manager and did a case interview. Had a really nice lunch with an associate and senior associate. Overall a really enjoyable experience, everyone was extremely welcoming and friendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Triage Consulting Group in January 2013.

I submitted application through school career website and was called for a phone pre-screen interview with a current Associate. The conversation lasted around 15 minutes and she gave me a long explanation of the work that Triage does since it is a very niche type of healthcare consulting. She also asked for my ACT/SAT scores. Two days later I was called into the next round which was a 30 minute interview on campus with a Principal of the firm. The interview was all conversational and they seemed to be looking for fit. He was friendly but seemed to be at a loss for questions he actually wanted to ask. I thought it went well but Triage was far from my first choice and it was probably clear that I wasn't a good fit for the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Triage Consulting Group in October 2012.

Two rounds of interviews. The first round is typically on your university campus, 30-minutes and painless. I was asked questions about my interest in Triage and leadership/ teamwork experience while in college. The final-round was in their office in San Francisco. Beautiful office and great location. Experience was pretty painless, they do a great job pairing you with associates that would relate to you. I had a wonderful lunch and the "test" was not hard if you have basic math and reading comprehension skills. Met with 3 senior level executives. Overall very pleasant, just not the work I am interested in. A great job for someone looking to get experience and to a manager level soon after graduation.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly why I wanted to go into healthcare auditing given my background was not even related.   Answer Question

The work seemed to be unchallenging and boring.