Trillium Trading Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2014

2.2

Summer Trading Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Trillium Trading.

I applied by emailing the firm directly through the email they provide on their website. I come from a non-target school for most financial firms but they recruit at my school anyway. I was contacted very quickly by email and set up a 1 on 1 interview on campus. A week after the on campus interview they contacted me for final round interviews at their New York office, however I turned them down due to getting offers at more established proprietary trading firms in Chicago.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too hard...paper math test that you should be able to get 100% correct. It had expected value and arithmetic questions and you were given 2 minutes.   Answer Question

Better offers

Equity Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Trillium Trading in October 2014.

I applied online through my university, was contacted via email for an initial phone screen fairly shortly afterward. The phone screen went fairly well, with a few expository "soft" questions followed by a couple of probability questions and then two logic brainteasers. Interviewer was pretty friendly, however I had already seen both of the brainteasers that were asked, so it was somewhat awkward that I gave the correct answer and the reasoning behind it pretty much immediately, while I think they'd rather see you struggle a little bit and figure it out on your own. Waiting to hear back in the next few days.

Interview Questions
    • You have 25 horses and can race 5 of them at a time. What is the minimum number of races required in order to find the three fastest horses?   View Answer

Junior Trader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Trillium Trading.

Pretty basic Junior Trader interview. Expect a lot of questions about probability. The first questions were basic probability, the next two medium level questions were a little more advanced probability, and then the last two were a statistics question and a calculus question. The person interviewing me gave me immediate feedback and was very cool and polite. I stumbled on the calculus question and didn't get invited back for the second round interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Trillium Trading.

2 interviews in NYC office - speed math test on first visit - must apply early in the season to be considered. I ended up entering the process too late and was eliminated due to them meeting their quotas before I could truly be considered.

Interview Questions
    • n/a...typical questions asked about markets, trading experience, etc.   Answer Question

Equity Trader Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Trillium Trading.

I submitted my resume through my university's career website and was contacted several weeks later to schedule a phone interview. I was interviewed by someone in HR who read me a list of questions and wrote down my answers. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and was very to the point.

Equity Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Trillium Trading in March 2014.

First part of the interview was a 1 on 1 interview. Set an appointment online. The interview was mostly behavior questions. Talked about resume, why I want to be a trader, etc. Afterwords, there was a timed math quiz portion. Basic math such as percentages and multiplication. Afterwords, some market questions and more behavior questions.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Just be confident in yourself. It's important for a trader to be confident.   Answer Question

Equity Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Trillium Trading.

First round on campus was very conversational so the interviewer could see if you're a good fit. He is a very nice guy and wants to explain the position to you so he knows if you would be comfortable

Equity Trader Interview

interviewed at Trillium Trading in October 2013.

Trillium recruits annually for new traders with a strong focus on college seniors looking to begin their trading careers post graduation. Trillium is on campus at 20+ schools (with a top tier school focus). Trillium also accepts applications via their website if you do not attend the schools which they visit. I believe Trillium also has a summer internship program focused on college juniors entering their senior year. From what I know, there are usally 2 to 3 rounds of interviews, and include testing at every level of interview. Don't be a rookie interviewee! Be prepared. Know what to expect, do your homework. Although the meetings have a friendly tone, you better know the business well and be very convincing that trading is your passion.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected questions....What are the top 5 headlines moving the equities markets right now? In a minute or less, can you give me the market recap from yesterdays session?   View Answer

Proprietary Equity Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Trillium Trading in October 2013.

I applied to Trillium through campus recruiting. I received an email for scheduling my interview. It was the most relaxed interview I have ever had. We just went over my resume and he asked the typical "Why trading?" and "What do you want to do in your career?"

Equity Trader Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Trillium Trading.

I applied through my school's career services website and sat down with the head of their HR. He was a very nice guy and had previously been a trader so he knew what makes a good trader. He also has been with the company since it started (sometime in the 90's) so he definitely appreciates if you know a decent amount about the company.
    The interview itself was pretty standard, just going over my resume as well as asking my why I wanted to be a trader. He also asked me about the major indexes, so you should know those as well.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what kind of companies make up the NASDAQ   View Answer