Trion Worlds

Relevance Date Difficulty

Game Designer Interview

Game Designer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Trion Worlds.

Interview Details – I submitted my information via Gamasutra's job boards. The recruiter contacted me soon after and set up a phoner with the design leads. I don't remember this interview very well but it was fairly informal and pleasant. Was quickly contacted about flying out for an on-site interview. Trion flew me in (San Diego) and set up an all-day meeting schedule (9a-4p) with all key department leads. Everyone I met was very nice and really smart. Many team members had come from SoE, Rock Star and other notable devs in the area. A bunch of really bright and talented people. They gave me a top-down overview of the product and had insightful questions. I was asked to solve some hypothetical design problems on the fly using a whiteboard, which was somewhat stressful but also fun. Likewise, the team took questions from me and had thoughtful answers. I played an early build and was convinced that they knew what they were doing. End of the day was 30 mins with the studio head, who was a little guarded/less candid with me and was probably just trying to make sure I was a personality fit.

The offer came before I left town, which was a nice surprise. Trion was being aggressive (always nice) and eager to get me on board. I ended up declining, largely because I was concerned about being tied to a job that would live or die based on the success of a single product (this was the only project in development at the studio at that time, not sure what the current situation is). There were a few other "cons" that were less important but still influenced my decision: 1) The offices were located in a boring corporate park in a sterile and depressing part of town. Inside there were few windows and the place was as dark as a crypt. No physical amenities within walking distance. Not a good environment, at least for me. 2) I think I met two women total while at Trion: the recruiter and the woman who brought me water when I arrived at the office. Not very progressive. I like working with both men AND women. There were probably other women around, but it seemed like a sausage fest. 3) Work/life balance was unclear. Many of the guys I met had families and claimed to work reasonable hours, but my "spider sense" was tingling and I got the impression that this was a crew used to crunching.

Interview Question – Describe a complicated design challenge that you have faced and explain how you solved it.   Answer Question

Senior Animator Interview

Senior Animator
San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Trion Worlds in October 2010.

Interview Details – very swift and fast hiring process, the interview was a breeze

Interview Question – nothing tricky really, just a simple interview amongst the key people from each team   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Trion Worlds in April 2010.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview and waiting

Interview Question – How to increase performance of web app   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Trion Worlds in March 2010.

Interview Details – Asked questions such as what is your biggest AH Hah moment as a manager

Interview Question – What was your biggest ah hah moment as a manager   Answer Question

An Executive Role Interview

An Executive Role

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Trion Worlds.

Interview Details – I felt that Trion did a good job of coordinating and conducting my interview. I met with all the people I expected to meet, and their interviewing skills were fairly good. There was a bit of good cop / bad cop, but this is normal, especially in tech oriented bay area based companies. I think that they didn't really think through the starting position for the game I was interviewing for, and instead were hoping to salvage something that was clearly about to collapse, so the interview questions spoke more to the situation the company was in and the disagreements between devs and managers.

Interview Question – I loved this one, it was fun for banter: "what do you want to be when you grow up?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer was less than I indicated my salary requirements were in prescreening calls.

Worked for Trion Worlds? Contribute to the Community!