TripAdvisor Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.3

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

I had wanted to work for TripAdvisor for a long time and have applied to a lot of positions with them over the last 3 years. I had applied for a marketing position a few weeks before hearing back from someone on the TripAdvisor recruiting team. I had a 35 min phone interview a few days later with the hiring manager, and about 1 week after that I had a brief phone call with the recruiter to talk salary and expectations. I was also invited in for a 4 hour interview that Friday. I met with 5 different people, one at a time, on the marketing team and was given a tour of their amazing new office building in Needham. Most of the hiring team spoke to me as if I had the job already and gave me a lot of specifics. They were all extremely nice and engaging so the interview itself was pretty smooth to get through. I had really done my homework so I had a lot of questions and ideas that I thought they seemed interested in but now I think I must have looked too eager. I was told I would hear back by Monday, so essentially right away. I felt like I did everything right and that I had the job so I was really crushed when I didn't get picked. At least they don't drag you on with a long wait period.

Web Developer - Email Coder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Needham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted via email for a hour long skype interview. This was has some technical questions, but the interviewer inquired a lot about my background in the field. Then I asked to complete a programming assignment. There was a 24 hour time limit on this. Lastly, I was invited for a 3 hour long technical interview. Few things stuck out to me as unprofessional. The first interviewer showed up 30 minutes late. I wasted half an hour sitting in a room because nobody had told him I was there for the interview. Otherwise this interview went fine and he asked general questions HTML/CSS/Javascript questions. The second interviewer's first question was if I was there for the Software Engineering position. (Which I was not) His first technical question was implementing Binary Search, and the other was regarding Node elements. He seemed like he did not want to be there, and was reluctant to answer the questions I had regarding the questions he posed to me. Considering how this was a Web Dev position I asked how I would be using these algorithms for the role (HTML emails) and his response was along the lines of "Oh you just need to know backend too" Lastly, the third interviewer explained that he was less technical than the last too, but however wanted to know my coding level. He then proceeded to ask me to write code for yet another technical algorithm based problem. There are a few positives though. Their new office is beautiful. There is special parking for candidates right next to the building. Emma, the technical recruiter that greeted me in person, was so nice and appeared to be the only one there that knew I was going to be there. I explained how I felt the questions were unrelated to the position and she offered to try to get a another interview. Unfortunately that didn't happen, I assume higher ups killed that. Overall, I was not pleased with the level of preparedness the interviewers had. Seemed like nobody really was aware they were going to interview me that day. I ultimately heard back 6 days later from a technical recruiter I had never worked with. I had 3 different technical recruiters email me throughout this whole process which appeared extremely unorganized to me.

Interview Questions

• Implement Binary Search Algorithm. What is the algorithm efficiency?   Answer Question
    • Implement a method that prints prime number from 1 to the passed number.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA).

Interview

Typical recruiting department phone screen followed by a hiring manager phone screen. From that point you are either invited in for an interview or told otherwise. There was an analytical exercise to be completed at home. In person there was no consistency of interview style between the people I met with.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were easy, it felt as though the decision (to hire) was made prior to my in person interview. Everyone was welcoming and friendly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA).

Interview

One technical phone screen, then I was invited for an onsite interview. The phone interview wasn't too hard, and the interviewer was very friendly and engaging, asking a few personal questions and inviting me to ask whatever I wanted as well as asking a coding question. If you get onsite, get ready for the gauntlet. I was put in a room and 4 engineers came in for about 45 min each. They were friendly but mostly focused on technical stuff, I filled two whiteboards several times over. They seemed to care a bit more than average about getting the syntax correct on the whiteboard, but were ok with helping me out on a few questions that I could easily have referenced via google in a real programming environment. They'll send you a somewhat helpful blog post to help you prepare for the interview. Above all, remember that this is intentionally a high pressure situation and they're not expecting you to write perfect code on the first try. Always be thinking out loud and discussing your thought process.

Interview Questions

• I'm not going to give specific questions for reasons, but questions ranged from various "trivia" type questions about Java and design principles (e.g. "What does 'static' mean?") to "write a function that..." questions (i.e. 15-20 min coding questions that don't relate to each other) to "how would you design a program that..." questions to more generic puzzle questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Got set up with a technical phone screen first with a member of one of their engineering teams. The engineer was helpful during the interview and did give me a few hints along the way. Even when I didn't get the main question they were asking, the engineer asked me a couple other questions to test my knowledge of algorithms which I thought was nice. I didn't get any farther than the technical phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Java: Given an array of non negative integers, and a non negative sum, write a method that returns the total number of pairs of integers that add up to the sum. The array can contain repeated numbers   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I got referred by the recruiter who told me TripAdvisor was interested in my mathematical background. We scheduled the Skype interview for a week from the date we heard from TripAdvisor. I read the reviews here on GlassDoor and figured that there will be a lot of Data Structures and Algorithmic questions. Unfortunately, it's been a while that I had a chance to work with them so I read the books/articles and watched videos to refresh my memory about those topics as well as complexity and programming knowledge. After the interview I did not have any news for a week or so. Then, they said they were not interested which is fine. The bad part was that I wasn't able to learn why.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Newton, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Their recruiter reached out to me, asking if I would be interested in a tech leader / manager position. Ask my Salary requirement and set me up with an initial interview. After initial interview with good feedback I moved onto a technical interview. Recruiter called me right away about how good the interview went and how impressed the interviewer was. And they'll set up a face to face interview. 10 days gone by with no response from them. Email the recruiter and got a response that my Salary requirement was too high and they decided not to move forward. Why did they waste my time since I gave them my salary requirement right from the state.

Interview Questions

• Implement parseInt() without using Integer Class.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA).

Interview

I was recruited after on campus interviews which were a series of problems that I coded on paper. I was told to do some engineering challenges on their website, so I did, and I contacted them afterward. Got flown out to Boston two weeks later for an onsite. Four stage interview, with questions that seemed to vary greatly from interviewer to interviewer. Code on whiteboard questions only, no system architecture. Heard back in a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through a campus recruiting event, and after a week or two I got a phone screen. The questions were pretty easy, standard algorithms. Then after a couple weeks I got an onsite interview with them. It consisted of four interviews, around 45 minutes each. The questions were a bit harder, and a lot of them required you to actually write out code.

Interview Questions

• Given an input stream of an indeterminate length, how do you return a random member of that stream (with equal probability for each), given that you're not allowed to store more than a constant number of inputs, and you can only go through the inputs once.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

The Interview process was very exciting, it included good questions and felt as though it encapsulated a check for all aspects that the job required, good team work, effective communication, test for the basics of Algorithms, approach towards problem solving. All-in-all a very well rounded interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a numerator and a denominator provide the quotient and a remainder with using the division and multiplication operators.   Answer Question