TripAdvisor Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

I was recruited after on campus interviews which were a series of problems that I coded on paper. I was told to do some engineering challenges on their website, so I did, and I contacted them afterward. Got flown out to Boston two weeks later for an onsite. Four stage interview, with questions that seemed to vary greatly from interviewer to interviewer. Code on whiteboard questions only, no system architecture. Heard back in a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Needham, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2015.

I applied through a campus recruiting event, and after a week or two I got a phone screen. The questions were pretty easy, standard algorithms. Then after a couple weeks I got an onsite interview with them. It consisted of four interviews, around 45 minutes each. The questions were a bit harder, and a lot of them required you to actually write out code.

Interview Questions
    • Given an input stream of an indeterminate length, how do you return a random member of that stream (with equal probability for each), given that you're not allowed to store more than a constant number of inputs, and you can only go through the inputs once.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor in January 2015.

(1) A Skype interview with one interviewer. The interviewer introduced himself, then asked about my background skills, finally gave me two coding questions.

(2) A homework project that must be finished in 24 hours. There is no supporting code, and the requirement is stated in a document. The Email said the project could be finished in 2 hours, which I found difficult to complete in such amount of time.

Interview Questions
    • (1) Given a string, find the first char that only appears once. (both iterative & recursion way)
      (2) Given a csv file containing all the hotel deals, find the best deal according to the check date and stay nights.

Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tufts University, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Tufts University, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

They got my resume at the job fair and asked if I wanted to interview. The process took a really, really long time as they probably were dealing with a lot of potential candidates. After the first interview, I was asked to do a coding challenge, which took about 4 hours. it wasn't that hard either though, but thinking about how to make it really efficient was kind of fun.

I'm actually still in the interview process (it's taking so long) so I marked that I didn't get an offer below

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mostly about my resume, but there was one coding question: Given a string like " hi there do you like programming? " remove all the extra spaces and return the string.

Homework question: Given a tsv (tab separated value) file with hotels and their deals, write a program that takes in user input (day of check in, check out, hotel name) and return the best deal.

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

first of all theny come to our university and then they give me a brief face to face interview and then they give me a online test. the test is not difficult but I failed.

UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Just the first Skype call. Let me just say it, this company is obsessed with the data structures.

"How will you invent your own Hashtable? What is its bigO of Binary search", I know the answer but really? Really? OK I get it, it a B2C site, a lot of website performance and optimizations by relying on old archaic technologies, no libraries etc but the universe has a come a long way since then. They are not ready to consider new tech, so what does that mean? Its mainly a maintenance scenario. Best for new grads or 1-2 experience guys who want to get a "brand" name behind them. This brand names sets them up well for the big 4, Google/Twitter/Amazon/FB as they are the best B2C companies.

But not all optimizations are from reinventing data structures. Web and threaded Java has come a long way. And how about focusing on idea questions, thought process questions, top challenge situation, leadership examples?

Will not pursue further.

Interview Questions
    • CORS, is it better server side or client side   View Answer

I did not get an offer, but since there is no option for "Did not pursue further", I have to choose this.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

2 rounds of interview (in some cases they start with phone interview).
    In both rounds most of the questions were about data structures (hash tables, trees, etc.). Asked to write code (e.g count duplicates in a BST).

Interview Questions
    • No longer remember the actual questions, but most were about data structures and cost assessment.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in April 2014.

I was contacted a few days after I applied by a hiring manager. We set up a phone interview with a woman who would later turn out to be my manager. We talked for over an hour about the department, what I liked to do, and what I wanted to get from the internship. The questions weren't very difficult. She asked about my skills and to elaborate on my resume. Everyone I spoke to was extremely nice, helpful, and understanding.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in April 2014.

Phone screen, assignment, in-person round of interviews (4 associates)

The process began with a phone screen. Then I was asked to complete a design assignment over the weekend to assess design process and technical capabilities. After a week they requested an in-person interview. The interview went well. There were four interviewers, the first two went great and the next two went pretty well. I sent messages thanking and following up with information and questions. After about a three week process to get in there, despite how polite everyone seemed, I never heard a response back - which was off-putting for such a lengthy process.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite website   View Answer
    • What are some of the project management and organizational tools you enjoy working with and have experience using?   View Answer

Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Got a phone call on Monday to come in and interview on Thursday. When I arrived, I was sitting with my competition. There were 5 of us. We were all put in separate interview rooms and the interviewers moved from room to room. Met with 6 people on day 1.
    Got a call back Friday for a second interview on Wednesday. Met with 2 more people.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions asked during this interview. It seemed the group was more concerned with personality fit than actual experience.   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation, I tried.