TripAdvisor Intern Software Engineer Interview Questions

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

I applied for this company on our campus career fair, and in the next few days they scheduled me an on-campus interview. One person interviewed me for about 45 minutes. Only technical questions, didn't ask me about my project or something else. He asked me to write code in a white board and then asked me some question about the code.He also told me there would be 3 rounds of interviews.
Then I received an email telling me I passed the interview and then came up the 2nd round - telephone interview. It's a 30-minute interview asking a quite simple question and some extensions. Then he started to introduce the job and environment of their company.
And after maybe 2 weeks, there will be an on-site interview if you pass the previous one.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing difficult. The first question is about combination of HashMap and ArrayList, which the best answer should be LinkedHashMap but it's OK if you didn't know about this class.
    The second interview is to find the same element in two lists
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2013.

Originally met with a recruiter at a college career fair where I was asked why someone would want to use a linked list. I was offered an on campus interview where I had to reverse a linked list of characters, while keeping words in tact. I was invited to interview at their offices in Newton. I had two interviews there. Both questions involved recursion and linked lists. After the two interviews a head recruiter came in to let me know that they would not be offering me the position, but he spent about 15 minutes going through the interview process with me and talking about my strengths and weaknesses. Overall a very positive and helpful process.

Interview Questions
    • Reversing a linked list of characters while keeping words in tact.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2013.

I got the interview through on-campus career fair. They contacted me about three weeks after the career fair. It was a technical phone screen. They jumped right off to technical questions, including Big-O notations, Sorting algorithms, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2013.

I had applied through Campus Career Fair. I had
     - 1 campus interview
     - 1 telephonic
     - 3 onsite interview rounds

The interview process was very smooth and professional.
     - In every round, I had to write code to some problem.
     - Problems were a mix of coding problems and solving some real world design problem.
     - They focus a lot on data structures, complexity and problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • Some interesting design problems which I was not expecting. I enjoyed working on those though.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Amherst, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

Phone interview with coding on online whiteboard. First he asked about hash table and hash function, then he ask if there is any other kind of data structure that can give the same index function. I gave the answer of prefix tree but he said any kind of tree is ok there.
    Next question is about linked list: how to find the node that is odd, how to delete these nodes, providing the code in the online whiteboard. I gave him the code but he pointed out some corner cases that my code did not cover. Then he asked if I had any question. The whole process is about 30-40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Not really sure about the index data structure. I thought only array or hashtable can give the direct index to access. Still don't know why tree can give the same kind of indexing as hashtable.   View Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Dropped off resume at career fair - on campus interview

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

On campus interview for the first round. Then an online coding session for the second round where they ask you a question and expect you to code it in front of them . Then the last round is on onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given a root to a binary tree where each node holds an integer. Write a method that returns the sum of all the integers in the tree.   View Answers (2)
    • Given two sorted arrays. Write a method that returns the intersection of the arrays. Ex. [2,4,3,6] and [8,9,2,4] would return [2,4].   View Answers (4)

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

I met TripAdvisor at the career fair at my school. I talked with the representative about what I study and he asked me about how to implement a hash map and what it would be used for. Then I had an on campus interview followed by an on-site interview consisting of four different interviews.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at TripAdvisor in September 2013.

Talked to them at a school career fair and they came to my school for interviews the next week. process is careerfair/apply->interview->coding on virtual blackboard while talking to them on phone->they bring you in for an onsite interview(i only got the first interview. very long process).The interviewer was nice and a good guy. Asked me to write code to find the intersection of two unordered linked lists. Some other questions I didnt have to code were what a mySQL join statement is(had mySQL on my resume) and how networking works.

Interview Questions
    • When a address is typed into the browser and you hit enter, what happens and how does the data get to the server and then back to you.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in March 2013.

I received one technical phone interview in which a guy who didn't sound very excited to be interviewing me asked one technical question and then just asked if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!