TripAdvisor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2015
Updated Mar 12, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

Applied through college. Got an on-campus interview, probably the easiest interview of my life. I think they just wanted to make sure I wasn't lying on my resume? The interviewer said I passed that part, then it took them a month to proceed with the process, at which point they gave me 24 hours to complete an online coding challenge. They responded a few weeks later saying we will not be moving forward. No positive/negative feedback despite asking for it.

Overall, TripAdvisor seems like a pretty needy/beggy company. Always putting "tripadvisor.com/careers" everywhere, and advertising over the city to apply...

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to remove repeated spaces from a string (ex: "one two three four" -> "one two three four")   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tufts University, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Tufts University, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

They got my resume at the job fair and asked if I wanted to interview. The process took a really, really long time as they probably were dealing with a lot of potential candidates. After the first interview, I was asked to do a coding challenge, which took about 4 hours. it wasn't that hard either though, but thinking about how to make it really efficient was kind of fun.

I'm actually still in the interview process (it's taking so long) so I marked that I didn't get an offer below

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mostly about my resume, but there was one coding question: Given a string like " hi there do you like programming? " remove all the extra spaces and return the string.

Homework question: Given a tsv (tab separated value) file with hotels and their deals, write a program that takes in user input (day of check in, check out, hotel name) and return the best deal.

View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

first of all theny come to our university and then they give me a brief face to face interview and then they give me a online test. the test is not difficult but I failed.

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

Applied on campus career fair, got interview few days later on campus. The interviewer is very professional, asked some behavior questions and give a white broad test: find the common number in two linked lists, then return with a new linked list.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

I got the interview through a career fair. The interviewer was extremely nice and friendly. The entire process was over Skype and took about one hour. I hadn't done a technical interview before, and this was a great first experience for me.

Interview Questions
    • Write a method that counts the number of enabled bits in an Integer.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer/Data Scientist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me, said TripAdvisor would be interested in my profile and, in case things go well, sponsor a working visa (I am not a US citizen).

I had a technical interview on Skype with a Technical Manager. He made me feel extremely comfortable during the whole call. He first asked me why I wanted to join the company, then wanted to know more about my previous job as Data Scientist.

Theoretical question: Hash Table and its complexity.
    Practical questions (answered on shared, real-time text editor): Intersect two sorted arrays/lists; Linked List + Fibonacci indexes. For each solution I was asked the complexity of it.

Pro: it is possible to choose between many programming languages, such as Java, Python, JS, …

Unfortunately, I kinda screwed up the Fibonacci question. Everything was quite easy. Anyways, it's been 20 days since I was interviewed, haven't received any news neither by the recruiter, nor the company.

Interview Questions
    • // Given a singly linked list without values defined by:

class Node {
          Node next
      }

// Write a function that removes all elements from the list whose _index_ is a fibonacci number
      // o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o
      // 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
      // x x x x x
      // becomes
      // o ----------------> o ------> o -> o ------> o -> o -> o
      // 0 4 6 7 9 10 11

View Answer
    • # Q1: Write a function to intersect two *sorted* lists (find common elements)
      # Write a method taking two lists as input, and returning a new list
      # You can assume you have a reasonable array/list class available (ArrayList, vector, python list, etc)
      # Ex:
      # l1 = [1,2,3,4,5]
      # l2 = [1,5,7,11,100]
      # result = [1,5]

View Answers (2)
    • # Q2: Same as Q1, but now assume there can be duplicates. The output should not have duplicates
      # Ex:
      # l1 = [1,2,3,4,5,5,5]
      # l2 = [1,5,7,11,100]
      # result = [1,5]

View Answers (2)

Content Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

Went through several interviews - first a phone interview, two Skype interviews, followed by an in-person interview. I was scheduled to do a 4th interview via Skype, but never heard back.

Questions were pretty standard, based on my past job history and qualifications. Some more general travel questions, such as where I would go if I could visit any country in the world.

I was pretty offended I never heard back. One minute we were discussing times for my 4th interview, and then they dropped off the face of the earth. I e-mailed twice and called, but never heard a peep. I thought this was very rude, especially considering I had already been through three interviews and spent a lot of time talking with them. A simply email saying they went with someone else with have sufficed. It definitely soured an otherwise decent interview experience.

Human Resources Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

I did not apply to Trip Advisor, I was approached via LinkedIn with an opportunity. I had a phone interview with a recruiter and it went well. I was brought in for an interview a few days later. I met with 4 different people during the interview and was told by everyone that I had the exact skillset they were looking for. As I left the interview, I was told by the recruiter to keep an eye out for a possible offer in the next day or two. Well, I never heard back from anyone at the company. No phone call. No e-mail. Nothing. I feel as though they completely lied to me and wasted an entire afternoon that I had to miss at my current job.

Don't waste your time interviewing with a company that will not even follow up after in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Know the details of your resume and read about TripAdvisor before you go.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied at college career fair. Got asked several technical questions at the career fair. A few days later, a recruiter contacted me and set up a technical phone interview. I did not pass the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing special. Just coding questions about basic computer science.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewers asked me to tell them something about the project experience in the resume and ask a few questions that they are interested in . And then ask a technical question: explain a HashTable. After that, they told me something about their company and said they will contact me if we can move to the next step.