TripAdvisor

Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

2 rounds of interview (in some cases they start with phone interview).
    In both rounds most of the questions were about data structures (hash tables, trees, etc.). Asked to write code (e.g count duplicates in a BST).

Interview Questions
    • No longer remember the actual questions, but most were about data structures and cost assessment.   Answer Question

Software Engineer/Team Lead Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in May 2014.

First off, don’t be fooled by any of their job posts. They have a specific interview process and are looking for a specific type of person - and it is not what is in their job posts. For example, the first line of the job post I received from an external recruiter was “Driven results within a strong, talented, opinionated team, and have a solid track record of project delivery”. In the roughly two hours I spent in two phone screens, there was not one questions tailored toward figuring out if I fit the description posted. Or any other soft skills, it’s purely technical and they are looking to see that you won’t question their existing processes.

I was initially contacted by an internal recruiter a year back and turned down the opportunity to interview as I did not think I would be a cultural fit for their fast paced “speed wins” culture, which I suspected is leading to a deteriorating code base with tons of code duplication.

A year later an external recruiter sent me a team lead job description that seemed in line with my beliefs. When he revealed it was for TripAdvisor, I was surprised because the description did not match the culture. So I decided to give it a shot. Within a couple days I had my first phone screen scheduled.

During my first phone screen the interviewer asked what I was doing currently. Then I was immediately asked to do a coding problem on a virtual white board, which took up most of the interview. He allowed me to ask some questions at the end. He dodged any questions related to code maintainability. He did not even know what position I was interviewing for, which I thought was a bit odd. Overall, I thought I did poorly on the technical question and did not expect a callback.

To my surprise they contacted me the next day for another phone screen. It was exactly the same format as the first phone screen. A single question on what I was currently doing followed by a virtual coding question and then some technical questions related to caching (How do you size your cache? How does an LRU cache work? Are objects serialized in the cache?). The virtual white board question was to write code to determine if two binary trees where equal. Again, I was given the opportunity to ask questions at the end. And again, questions around code complexity and maintainability where dodged. And I even stumped the interviewer when I asked what the current technical challenges they are facing.

I thought as if I did extremely well on the second phone screen, at least technically. And considering I got called back after doing poorly on the first one I thought there was no doubt they would continue the process. Instead I received an e-mail three days later stating that they were not moving forward.

Overall, if you brush up on your data structures (hashtables, lists, sets, trees, etc.) and practice a bunch of algorithm questions (like those found on CareerCup) and also understand Big O, then you can very easily ace the technical portion of the interview.

In terms of culture, your best bet is to come across in a manner that you agree with the “speed wins” mantra as the best process for developing applications. And definitely don’t question any of their existing processes. I suspect this hurt me the most as they had recorded my comments I made to the internal recruiter a year before and in the end was probably used against me. Unlike their posts, they really are not looking for someone that can think on their own.

Interview Questions
    • Given two Strings see if the second String contains an anagram of the first String.   Answer Question
    • Write a function to see if two binary trees are equal.   Answer Question

UI Designer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Very long interview process

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, just a lot of repetitive questions from different teams   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer/Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in April 2014.

I interviewed in March 2014 for Android engineering position in their Palo Alto office. The interview process is very thorough, but they are not interested in your personality or the experience you are bringing in. You will be given back to back programming questions and asked to solve it on white board.

I had the first phone interview with the hiring manager, who after talking about experience and background for about 15 minutes, went to collabedit and was given a program to solve. After 2 days
    I had another phone interview with an Android engineer, who went over some basic android questions and a simple program to solve.

After a week I went onsite for "face-to-face" interview. The office is kind of small and very clumsy I felt. I was taken to a room where the first interviewer asked me some Android questions, nothing out of ordinary. The next interview was a remote interview, someone from Boston office came online and asked few android questions and a coding question involving linked list. The third one was also remote, was asked Android questions and also was given a program to solve. The forth one was with an iOS engineer who asked a programming question and asked to solve it on white board.

The next I had an interview with another company from whom I received an offer the very next day. Meanwhile at TripAdvisor I was left in the wild, the recruiter did not have any clue as what was going on, the hiring manager was out of country. They did not have any courtesy to say if I was selected or not even after sending email after emails. So I accepted the other I already had in hand. After 3 days the hiring manager called and said they wanted to give me an offer, but the offer was lesser than what I had already accepted. So I rejected the offer.

They were not courteous towards the candidate, and they were treating me as if they were doing a favor in considering me for their job. The hiring manager was arrogant and also sounded like he was doing a favor in giving me the offer. At the end even if the offer had been higher I wouldn't have worked for him. Looks like they are still interviewing for the position as I am still getting 3rd party recruiter calls/emails for the same position, even after 3 months.

Interview Questions
    • Given a LinkedList that contains both integer and alphabets, remove all the alphabets.

Given three character arrays, merge them together without any duplicates.

View Answer

Did not like the culture and attitude of the people there.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in April 2014.

I was contacted a few days after I applied by a hiring manager. We set up a phone interview with a woman who would later turn out to be my manager. We talked for over an hour about the department, what I liked to do, and what I wanted to get from the internship. The questions weren't very difficult. She asked about my skills and to elaborate on my resume. Everyone I spoke to was extremely nice, helpful, and understanding.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in April 2014.

Phone screen, assignment, in-person round of interviews (4 associates)

The process began with a phone screen. Then I was asked to complete a design assignment over the weekend to assess design process and technical capabilities. After a week they requested an in-person interview. The interview went well. There were four interviewers, the first two went great and the next two went pretty well. I sent messages thanking and following up with information and questions. After about a three week process to get in there, despite how polite everyone seemed, I never heard a response back - which was off-putting for such a lengthy process.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite website   View Answer
    • What are some of the project management and organizational tools you enjoy working with and have experience using?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Handed in my resume during my university career fair and got an email scheduling phone interview after. After that they gave me a coding problem, which I need to complete in 24 hours and email back to them.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Basic stuff but easier than some other interviews   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Met with a recruiter at the career fair, who immediately asked me to describe a hash table. Received a call a few days later to schedule a phone interview.

Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Got a phone call on Monday to come in and interview on Thursday. When I arrived, I was sitting with my competition. There were 5 of us. We were all put in separate interview rooms and the interviewers moved from room to room. Met with 6 people on day 1.
    Got a call back Friday for a second interview on Wednesday. Met with 2 more people.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions asked during this interview. It seemed the group was more concerned with personality fit than actual experience.   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation, I tried.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

I applied for this company on our campus career fair, and in the next few days they scheduled me an on-campus interview. One person interviewed me for about 45 minutes. Only technical questions, didn't ask me about my project or something else. He asked me to write code in a white board and then asked me some question about the code.He also told me there would be 3 rounds of interviews.
    Then I received an email telling me I passed the interview and then came up the 2nd round - telephone interview. It's a 30-minute interview asking a quite simple question and some extensions. Then he started to introduce the job and environment of their company.
    And after maybe 2 weeks, there will be an on-site interview if you pass the previous one.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. The first question is about combination of HashMap and ArrayList, which the best answer should be LinkedHashMap but it's OK if you didn't know about this class.
      The second interview is to find the same element in two lists

Answer Question