TripAdvisor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

It is a campus interview. Introduce the company, and ask the questions about your resume. Talk about your projects. Basic knowledge about sorting, graph, binary search tree. And do a coding problem on whiteboard.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

I was referred by an employee for the summer internship program and was called for in-person interview in Newton HQ about two months later. However, the interview process was a mess - the recruiter forgot to include me in the interview scheduling and also didn't notify me of the position I am interviewing for. (It was general application and I asked the recruiter more about the position but never got an answer.) I had to randomly choose two people from different departments based on their availability during interview process after waiting for hours. This was years ago and I hope they improved their recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• There were pretty standard, questions like Tell me about yourself, Why did you apply to the company, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

The Interview process was very exciting, it included good questions and felt as though it encapsulated a check for all aspects that the job required, good team work, effective communication, test for the basics of Algorithms, approach towards problem solving. All-in-all a very well rounded interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a numerator and a denominator provide the quotient and a remainder with using the division and multiplication operators.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with a recruiter, a technical phone screen with an engineer, and an on-site interview where I met with about 5 engineers for 45 min-1 hr sessions each and had to do whiteboarding. On the whole, it was fine, but a few of my interviewers were pretty rude/jerk-y to me, which was discouraging. I would ask clarifying/follow-up questions about the coding problems they'd given me and they just wouldn't answer or would be really snide and snarky. I left with a really negative impression of the culture... especially because I am female and they were all male. It also seemed like their codebase was a mess and that they weren't into mentoring at all, which wasn't the type of environment I was looking for.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Normally, there are two round but I ended up receiving an offer after the first round (I believe this is actually fairly common). For the most part, quite standard and fair interview process and they were quick to respond to everything. The offer came quickly and I had about a week to make a decision.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

2 phone screens on skype, then a homework then came on campus for a day of 5 interviews. In the end no offer because of a lack of Java experience. They didn't ask any Java questions in the interview so I'm not sure what the deal is...

Interview Questions

• Intersect two sorted lists   1 Answer
    • Get a sub list of a linked list indexed by fibanocci numbers   Answer Question
    • Count number of islands of 1s in a 1/0 matrix   Answer Question
    • Given an array of positive integers, find how much water it would hold (twitter waterfall question)   Answer Question
    • Some rapid fire machine learning   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter to discuss possible opportunities. After we exchanged several emails, we set up a time to talk by phone. This initial conversation was focused mainly on exploring more what each of us was looking for, and was not yet a technical interview. The next steps would have been a follow-up, more technical phone interview with the hiring team lead.

Interview Questions

• TripAdvisor is refreshingly up-front with it's interview process and goes out of it's way to let you know what to expect and make sure you prepare ahead of time. There is a very good TripAdvisor blog post on the subject that I highly recommend reading.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

(1) A Skype interview with one interviewer. The interviewer introduced himself, then asked about my background skills, finally gave me two coding questions. (2) A homework project that must be finished in 24 hours. There is no supporting code, and the requirement is stated in a document. The Email said the project could be finished in 2 hours, which I found difficult to complete in such amount of time.

Interview Questions

• (1) Given a string, find the first char that only appears once. (both iterative & recursion way) (2) Given a csv file containing all the hotel deals, find the best deal according to the check date and stay nights.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I was offered a preliminary technical interview after meeting with recruiters at a career fair, which was difficult. I had a subsequent onsite interview with 3 managers and a director. The interviews were all technical and ranged greatly in difficulty, but tended to be somewhat tricky. I was told I would hear back with a decision within a week and then never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would implement the singleton design pattern   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Met TripAdvisor at the campus job fair at UW Madison and after a couple of questions on complexity analysis of basic data structures, was asked to meet for an on-campus interview the next day. For the interview, I was asked questions based on divide-conquer recurrences and some more complexity analysis- nothing unexpected. I think my solution worked and even the interviewer thought so, but I got a message from the HR saying they had decided to move forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Not any, just basic recurrences and complexity analysis.   1 Answer