TripAdvisor Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Newton, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Their recruiter reached out to me, asking if I would be interested in a tech leader / manager position. Ask my Salary requirement and set me up with an initial interview. After initial interview with good feedback I moved onto a technical interview. Recruiter called me right away about how good the interview went and how impressed the interviewer was. And they'll set up a face to face interview. 10 days gone by with no response from them. Email the recruiter and got a response that my Salary requirement was too high and they decided not to move forward. Why did they waste my time since I gave them my salary requirement right from the state.

Interview Questions

• Implement parseInt() without using Integer Class.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

The recruiter set up the phone interview based on my java experience with Trip Advisor. It was a skype telephonic interview where a programming question was present and I had to write the program on a shared board.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a program to find common items between 2 lists.I used java to write the program. I wrote the program which was iterating the smaller array list and used contains. The Hiring manager argues with me saying that the code is not efficient enough because 'contains' method on arraylist would lead to o(n) and that would result in O(m*N)(which is incorrect) In the interview, I was not able to google it and I was taken aback when he was talking so assertively as I assumed that he understands java. However, after I hung up the phone I realized that I am indeed right and that the algorithm I created was very efficient. The interviewer came to the interview with a view to reject me. Its a waste of time. They should let subject mattter experts do the interviews, not the people with background in c/C++ interview java guys or the other way round. The hiring manager seemed very professorial background. I tried to tell recruiter to let them know the problem, but I do not think even she has any clue on how to approach.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Newton, MA).

Interview

2 rounds of interview (in some cases they start with phone interview). In both rounds most of the questions were about data structures (hash tables, trees, etc.). Asked to write code (e.g count duplicates in a BST).

Interview Questions

• No longer remember the actual questions, but most were about data structures and cost assessment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Newton, MA).

Interview

There was no smalltalk or soft skills question. They immediately went right to the hardcore computer science skills questions to test knowledge and thought processes. After meeting three engineers, an HR representative spoke to me and let me know they were not interested in pursuing me at the time, but that I was welcome to reapply in the future.

Interview Questions

• Code a BST insert algorithm   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

one online test following by two phone interview, finally flought to newton office

Interview Questions

• some NLP question and 234 tree and other complex tree structure   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Newton, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

My resume was submitted by a friend of mine that was an employee. I had one phone interview and two onsite interviews. The office is two older buildings - I found the environment very friendly, although a bit dark. The interviews were all coding problems. At no time did they ask about any previous projects, experience, or specific designs. The people were pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary search tree, write code that finds a count of duplicate values (in other words, the number of nodes that would have to be removed to make the set unique).   1 Answer
    • Design an alert system. You have 500,000 hotels you represent, and about 250,000 are visited each day. You want to track hotel page visits such that, if more than 10 visitors per a) 5 minutes, b) 1 hour, and c) 24 hours occur, then a (different for each time period) "alert" appears when someone visits one of those "hot" hotel pages. Don't worry about the UI part, just design the underlying alert system. Then optimize your solution for space.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Newton, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

Very aggressive interview stile - they grill you in technical questions, do not really care about your personality. I have heard from my friend (who quit TripAdvisor) that working there 8 hours is equals to working 10-11 at another place - they will wash you out and this actually happened during an interview.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in April 2010.

Interview

Phone screen

Interview Questions

• What is the efficiency of finding an element in an unsorted array of strings   3 Answers
    • What is the efficiency of searching in a sorted set or strings. Binary search   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in June 2015.

Interview

I took 2 interviews, both on the skype. First one took 1 hour, ask basic questions on CV. Following a whiteboard question. Second interview took another 1 hour, ask two white board coding questions. Neither of them asked very basic questions like data structure. But I think you can find the questions on glassdoor or geeksforgeeks.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of ordered number, choose 6 unique number randomly.   1 Answer
    • Find the number of islands in a 2-d array (or a matrix). Descriptions are too long, google then you will find.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online. They send a email want to schedule a skype call. The call take 60 min, the first half, we talking about my experience and how tripadvisor works, and the second half hands on. This is on Tuesday, and they reply via email on Friday that I was not selected for the next phase.

Interview Questions

• Give a range of numbers, return 6 different numbers randomly. In O(n).   3 Answers