TripAdvisor Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 4, 2015
Updated Feb 4, 2015

3.4

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

The recruiter set up the phone interview based on my java experience with Trip Advisor. It was a skype telephonic interview where a programming question was present and I had to write the program on a shared board.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked to write a program to find common items between 2 lists.I used java to write the program. I wrote the program which was iterating the smaller array list and used contains. The Hiring manager argues with me saying that the code is not efficient enough because 'contains' method on arraylist would lead to o(n) and that would result in O(m*N)(which is incorrect)

In the interview, I was not able to google it and I was taken aback when he was talking so assertively as I assumed that he understands java. However, after I hung up the phone I realized that I am indeed right and that the algorithm I created was very efficient.

The interviewer came to the interview with a view to reject me. Its a waste of time. They should let subject mattter experts do the interviews, not the people with background in c/C++ interview java guys or the other way round. The hiring manager seemed very professorial background.

I tried to tell recruiter to let them know the problem, but I do not think even she has any clue on how to approach.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

2 rounds of interview (in some cases they start with phone interview).
    In both rounds most of the questions were about data structures (hash tables, trees, etc.). Asked to write code (e.g count duplicates in a BST).

Interview Questions
    • No longer remember the actual questions, but most were about data structures and cost assessment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

There was no smalltalk or soft skills question. They immediately went right to the hardcore computer science skills questions to test knowledge and thought processes. After meeting three engineers, an HR representative spoke to me and let me know they were not interested in pursuing me at the time, but that I was welcome to reapply in the future.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

one online test following by two phone interview, finally flought to newton office

Interview Questions
    • some NLP question and 234 tree and other complex tree structure   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in April 2012.

My resume was submitted by a friend of mine that was an employee. I had one phone interview and two onsite interviews. The office is two older buildings - I found the environment very friendly, although a bit dark. The interviews were all coding problems. At no time did they ask about any previous projects, experience, or specific designs. The people were pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary search tree, write code that finds a count of duplicate values (in other words, the number of nodes that would have to be removed to make the set unique).   View Answer
    • Design an alert system. You have 500,000 hotels you represent, and about 250,000 are visited each day. You want to track hotel page visits such that, if more than 10 visitors per a) 5 minutes, b) 1 hour, and c) 24 hours occur, then a (different for each time period) "alert" appears when someone visits one of those "hot" hotel pages. Don't worry about the UI part, just design the underlying alert system. Then optimize your solution for space.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2011.

Very aggressive interview stile - they grill you in technical questions, do not really care about your personality.
    I have heard from my friend (who quit TripAdvisor) that working there 8 hours is equals to working 10-11 at another place - they will wash you out and this actually happened during an interview.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor in April 2010.

Phone screen

Interview Questions
    • What is the efficiency of finding an element in an unsorted array of strings   View Answers (3)
    • What is the efficiency of searching in a sorted set or strings. Binary search   View Answers (2)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source – interviewed at TripAdvisor in December 2013.

Multiple Interviews

Interview Questions
    • After asking the details of my current role, he only gave me a simple coding question.

Write a function using C++ or Java that is passed an integer and it returns the number of bits set to 1.

Is there a way to improve your solution and make it faster and more efficient?

View Answers (3)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

A friend submitted my resume. They called once and asked some lightweight technical questions and got some general information about my search. Then they scheduled another technical interview which was more in depth about my knowledge of SQL, data structures and such. Finally, they scheduled an onsight interview that took about 6 hours and included lunch. There were 4 engineers from the team I was applying to, the manager of that team, and a higher level VP type person. They asked questions about simple operations with data structures, like reversing arrays, as well as some more open ended questions about how to approach a particular problem.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to write a threadsafe graph redundancy counting function on a whiteboard.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor in May 2012.

Whole day interview without lunch. HR and some of the people are very rude. Waste of time. When I interviewed there, I had two offers already. When HR asked about the salary requirement, I gave him a number that is$10,000 lower than my offers. He still gave me a look like you don't deserve that amount of money. And he compared his company with google. What a joke, I think google will pay much more than them.

Interview Questions
    • Randomly select distinct objects from a big array. What if you cannot change the order of the original array?   View Answer