TripAdvisor

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Newton, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interview (in some cases they start with phone interview).
In both rounds most of the questions were about data structures (hash tables, trees, etc.). Asked to write code (e.g count duplicates in a BST).

Interview Question – No longer remember the actual questions, but most were about data structures and cost assessment.   Answer Question

Newton, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview Details – There was no smalltalk or soft skills question. They immediately went right to the hardcore computer science skills questions to test knowledge and thought processes. After meeting three engineers, an HR representative spoke to me and let me know they were not interested in pursuing me at the time, but that I was welcome to reapply in the future.

Interview Question – Code a BST insert algorithm   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview Details – one online test following by two phone interview, finally flought to newton office

Interview Question – some NLP question and 234 tree and other complex tree structure   View Answer

Newton, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in April 2012.

Interview Details – My resume was submitted by a friend of mine that was an employee. I had one phone interview and two onsite interviews. The office is two older buildings - I found the environment very friendly, although a bit dark. The interviews were all coding problems. At no time did they ask about any previous projects, experience, or specific designs. The people were pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary search tree, write code that finds a count of duplicate values (in other words, the number of nodes that would have to be removed to make the set unique).   View Answer
  • Design an alert system. You have 500,000 hotels you represent, and about 250,000 are visited each day. You want to track hotel page visits such that, if more than 10 visitors per a) 5 minutes, b) 1 hour, and c) 24 hours occur, then a (different for each time period) "alert" appears when someone visits one of those "hot" hotel pages. Don't worry about the UI part, just design the underlying alert system. Then optimize your solution for space.   View Answers (2)

Newton, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2011.

Interview Details – Very aggressive interview stile - they grill you in technical questions, do not really care about your personality.
I have heard from my friend (who quit TripAdvisor) that working there 8 hours is equals to working 10-11 at another place - they will wash you out and this actually happened during an interview.

Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at TripAdvisor in April 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen

Interview Questions

• What is the efficiency of finding an element in an unsorted array of strings   View Answers (3)
  • What is the efficiency of searching in a sorted set or strings. Binary search   View Answers (2)

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source - interviewed at TripAdvisor in December 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple Interviews

Interview Question – After asking the details of my current role, he only gave me a simple coding question.

Write a function using C++ or Java that is passed an integer and it returns the number of bits set to 1.

Is there a way to improve your solution and make it faster and more efficient?
  View Answers (3)

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview Details – A friend submitted my resume. They called once and asked some lightweight technical questions and got some general information about my search. Then they scheduled another technical interview which was more in depth about my knowledge of SQL, data structures and such. Finally, they scheduled an onsight interview that took about 6 hours and included lunch. There were 4 engineers from the team I was applying to, the manager of that team, and a higher level VP type person. They asked questions about simple operations with data structures, like reversing arrays, as well as some more open ended questions about how to approach a particular problem.

Interview Question – Asked to write a threadsafe graph redundancy counting function on a whiteboard.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at TripAdvisor in May 2012.

Interview Details – Whole day interview without lunch. HR and some of the people are very rude. Waste of time. When I interviewed there, I had two offers already. When HR asked about the salary requirement, I gave him a number that is$10,000 lower than my offers. He still gave me a look like you don't deserve that amount of money. And he compared his company with google. What a joke, I think google will pay much more than them.

Interview Question – Randomly select distinct objects from a big array. What if you cannot change the order of the original array?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was very technical and comprehensive. I met with 3-4 engineers.

Interview Question – Difference between an array list and a linked list.   View Answer

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!