TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

78 interviews

3.1

78 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Met with a representative at my college career fair. Was asked a few basic comp sci questions in person. Dealt with sort algorithms and their complexity/big O analysis. Also was asked about heap sort and how heaps in general work. Then asked to come to an official interview on campus.

Interview Questions
  • Write code for a binary tree who find the lowest node and bubbles it up to the root.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in September 2013.

two phone interviews and one onsite interview
    phone interviews asked a lot of hash table questions, consistent hashing etc.
    onsite interview:
    1. number of 1's islands in a 2-d matrix (dfs)
    2. level print binary tree (queue)
    3. get number of 1's in the binary presentation of an integer.
    4. behavior questions and discussion with vp.

Interview Questions
    • get number of 1's in the binary presentation of an integer.   View Answer

visa status problem

Anonymous Employee  in  Amherst, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

If you read this review, you should not take mine as a typical one, for I'm new in software. TripAdvisor sent senior engineer to interview, however questions are basic. The first one is related with hash table, "what data structure do you use to store (or look up) telephone numbers?", and then topic was related to conflict handling (usually we use chaining one). Then at the real-time coding test, I was asked to dealing with the duplicate spaces among words, and the output should be only one space among word (or non between word and delimiter). I think I messed up when using pointer (I use C++), but I still think it is a basic one. One more thing, if you choose C++, it should not be different from C when dealing with a short question.

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

Met them at a career fair, was asked to describe hash map. Was invited to an on-campus interview the next day. Questions on binary search and finding the LCA in a tree. Interviewer was very helpful with the last one.
    Got email with "homework" assignment in 2 weeks or so. The homework is described here on Glassdoor at some for an intern position I believe. The whole point was to see how you would treat unexpected user input (it was about sorting, but you're allowed to use the sort from the library). Passed that and got invited to an on-site interview a week or so later.
    Interviewed a month later (on my request). They flew me to Boston and put me in a nice hotel. I had interviews with 4 people (it is my understanding that there were supposed to be 5, but the last one didn't make it, though I may be wrong). Questions were basic. I thought I did well (very well on 3 of them, well enough on the other). Didn't get the job :( Still hoping for some feedback on that (they sort of promised that, but I just got a standard rejection).

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

I applied through university career fair. They give me an interview in my campus, which last about 30 minutes. The recruiter asked me 2 technical questions: 1, binary search. 2, find least common ancestor

Interview Questions
    • 1. find the least common ancestor is the binary search tree   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2013.

TripAdvisor is very thorough in their interview process, but not so different from other software companies hiring for the same role. There was initial contact with a university recruiter, a phone interview, then an on-campus technical interview that involved writing some code. At each step the process was very positive, so it was disappointing to not get a final offer.

Interview Questions
    • Write a technically-correct program to do a binary search.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

on campus recruiting, then get phone interview, 30 min. Asked some basic questions like what is big-o notation, and complexity of quick sort, what is the worst case for quick sort. what is hash-map and what is hash-function, what is difference between array and list. Then write code in online write board.

Interview Questions
    • A coding question about how to find the LCA of two nodes in a binary tree   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Contacted by a recuriter agent. Then technical phone interview. Stopped at this round.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at TripAdvisor in January 2014.

I was asked to explain what it is and why someone would use a Hash Table, a Heap, and Red and Black Trees. Aside from that I was also asked to write a program that, given a number n, would run the 'collatz' equation till 1 and print each number on the way.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions per say. It was all about whether or not I remembered how each data structure worked, and if I was comfortable enough with each one to give real reasons for using it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in December 2013.

Had an on campus interview, then a phone screen, and finally an on site in Newton. The interview's were fairly basic and didn't focus on a particular area, so just make sure your basics are solid. For the on-site I was in an interview room while people came in and introduced themselves for a total of four interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly tricky, just don't embarrass yourself by messing up something basic like I did   Answer Question

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!