TripAdvisor

Average Difficulty
78 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview Details – Met with a representative at my college career fair. Was asked a few basic comp sci questions in person. Dealt with sort algorithms and their complexity/big O analysis. Also was asked about heap sort and how heaps in general work. Then asked to come to an official interview on campus.

Interview Question – Write code for a binary tree who find the lowest node and bubbles it up to the root.   View Answer

Newton, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in September 2013.

Interview Details – two phone interviews and one onsite interview
phone interviews asked a lot of hash table questions, consistent hashing etc.
onsite interview:
1. number of 1's islands in a 2-d matrix (dfs)
2. level print binary tree (queue)
3. get number of 1's in the binary presentation of an integer.
4. behavior questions and discussion with vp.

Interview Question – get number of 1's in the binary presentation of an integer.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – visa status problem

Amherst, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

Interview Details – If you read this review, you should not take mine as a typical one, for I'm new in software. TripAdvisor sent senior engineer to interview, however questions are basic. The first one is related with hash table, "what data structure do you use to store (or look up) telephone numbers?", and then topic was related to conflict handling (usually we use chaining one). Then at the real-time coding test, I was asked to dealing with the duplicate spaces among words, and the output should be only one space among word (or non between word and delimiter). I think I messed up when using pointer (I use C++), but I still think it is a basic one. One more thing, if you choose C++, it should not be different from C when dealing with a short question.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, just because I'm new to software.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

Interview Details – Met them at a career fair, was asked to describe hash map. Was invited to an on-campus interview the next day. Questions on binary search and finding the LCA in a tree. Interviewer was very helpful with the last one.
Got email with "homework" assignment in 2 weeks or so. The homework is described here on Glassdoor at some for an intern position I believe. The whole point was to see how you would treat unexpected user input (it was about sorting, but you're allowed to use the sort from the library). Passed that and got invited to an on-site interview a week or so later.
Interviewed a month later (on my request). They flew me to Boston and put me in a nice hotel. I had interviews with 4 people (it is my understanding that there were supposed to be 5, but the last one didn't make it, though I may be wrong). Questions were basic. I thought I did well (very well on 3 of them, well enough on the other). Didn't get the job :( Still hoping for some feedback on that (they sort of promised that, but I just got a standard rejection).

Interview Question – Design a LRU cache.   View Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Software Engineering
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through university career fair. They give me an interview in my campus, which last about 30 minutes. The recruiter asked me 2 technical questions: 1, binary search. 2, find least common ancestor

Interview Question – 1. find the least common ancestor is the binary search tree   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2013.

Interview Details – TripAdvisor is very thorough in their interview process, but not so different from other software companies hiring for the same role. There was initial contact with a university recruiter, a phone interview, then an on-campus technical interview that involved writing some code. At each step the process was very positive, so it was disappointing to not get a final offer.

Interview Question – Write a technically-correct program to do a binary search.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

Interview Details – on campus recruiting, then get phone interview, 30 min. Asked some basic questions like what is big-o notation, and complexity of quick sort, what is the worst case for quick sort. what is hash-map and what is hash-function, what is difference between array and list. Then write code in online write board.

Interview Question – A coding question about how to find the LCA of two nodes in a binary tree   View Answer

Interviewed at TripAdvisor

Interview Details – Contacted by a recuriter agent. Then technical phone interview. Stopped at this round.

Interview Question – Nothing is unexpected   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at TripAdvisor in January 2014.

Interview Details – I was asked to explain what it is and why someone would use a Hash Table, a Heap, and Red and Black Trees. Aside from that I was also asked to write a program that, given a number n, would run the 'collatz' equation till 1 and print each number on the way.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions per say. It was all about whether or not I remembered how each data structure worked, and if I was comfortable enough with each one to give real reasons for using it.   Answer Question

Newton, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in December 2013.

Interview Details – Had an on campus interview, then a phone screen, and finally an on site in Newton. The interview's were fairly basic and didn't focus on a particular area, so just make sure your basics are solid. For the on-site I was in an interview room while people came in and introduced themselves for a total of four interviews.

Interview Question – Nothing particularly tricky, just don't embarrass yourself by messing up something basic like I did   Answer Question

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!