TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014

3.1

83 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied at college career fair. Got asked several technical questions at the career fair. A few days later, a recruiter contacted me and set up a technical phone interview. I did not pass the phone interview.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing special. Just coding questions about basic computer science.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewers asked me to tell them something about the project experience in the resume and ask a few questions that they are interested in . And then ask a technical question: explain a HashTable. After that, they told me something about their company and said they will contact me if we can move to the next step.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

I interviewed for a new graduate full-time position for software engineering. We spoke about my resume (asked questions about my previous internship experience) for first 15mins and then the remainder of the interview was technical.

Interview Questions
    • -Difference between array and linked list
      -What type of data structure would you use to store a dictionary of words and what is the runtime
      -Code writing: write a function to reverse a linked list
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at TripAdvisor in September 2014.

Went to a career fair and gave them my resume. They called that night and offered me an interview for the next day. The interview consisted of a couple questions about my resume then it went to the tech interview

Interview Questions
    • You have String 1: "abcdefgh". Write a code to remove "ad" so that you are left with "bcefgh".   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Met with a representative at my college career fair. Was asked a few basic comp sci questions in person. Dealt with sort algorithms and their complexity/big O analysis. Also was asked about heap sort and how heaps in general work. Then asked to come to an official interview on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Write code for a binary tree who find the lowest node and bubbles it up to the root.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Contacted by a recuriter agent. Then technical phone interview. Stopped at this round.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

on campus recruiting, then get phone interview, 30 min. Asked some basic questions like what is big-o notation, and complexity of quick sort, what is the worst case for quick sort. what is hash-map and what is hash-function, what is difference between array and list. Then write code in online write board.

Interview Questions
    • A coding question about how to find the LCA of two nodes in a binary tree   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

Met them at a career fair, was asked to describe hash map. Was invited to an on-campus interview the next day. Questions on binary search and finding the LCA in a tree. Interviewer was very helpful with the last one.
    Got email with "homework" assignment in 2 weeks or so. The homework is described here on Glassdoor at some for an intern position I believe. The whole point was to see how you would treat unexpected user input (it was about sorting, but you're allowed to use the sort from the library). Passed that and got invited to an on-site interview a week or so later.
    Interviewed a month later (on my request). They flew me to Boston and put me in a nice hotel. I had interviews with 4 people (it is my understanding that there were supposed to be 5, but the last one didn't make it, though I may be wrong). Questions were basic. I thought I did well (very well on 3 of them, well enough on the other). Didn't get the job :( Still hoping for some feedback on that (they sort of promised that, but I just got a standard rejection).

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Amherst, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

If you read this review, you should not take mine as a typical one, for I'm new in software. TripAdvisor sent senior engineer to interview, however questions are basic. The first one is related with hash table, "what data structure do you use to store (or look up) telephone numbers?", and then topic was related to conflict handling (usually we use chaining one). Then at the real-time coding test, I was asked to dealing with the duplicate spaces among words, and the output should be only one space among word (or non between word and delimiter). I think I messed up when using pointer (I use C++), but I still think it is a basic one. One more thing, if you choose C++, it should not be different from C when dealing with a short question.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through university career fair. They give me an interview in my campus, which last about 30 minutes. The recruiter asked me 2 technical questions: 1, binary search. 2, find least common ancestor

Interview Questions
    • 1. find the least common ancestor is the binary search tree   Answer Question

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!