TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015
Updated Apr 6, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

This was a phone interview lasted one hour. The interviewer is too silent and hardly talked with me. Also there is little guidance on how to answer the question and just ask you to work on your own. It was just like if you know the solution then you can answer it. If you don't know such area, you will not get any hints on how to solve it.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of coins and the a total amount. Calculate the minimum number of coins can be used to reach the total amount.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

I had a phone interview so far, but am continuing to the second round interview. The interviewer was very nice, and understanding because I had gotten back from an all night bus ride from a hackathon just half an hour before the interview started (at 9 am!)

Interview Questions

• Given an array of values, how do you check if there is a combination of them that add up to an integer, n.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Got interview from campus recruiting event. Interviewed on-campus for 45min. Asked me some brief behavioral question. Asked me to implement a function on a binary search that receives two nodes and returns its common ancestor.

Interview Questions

• implement a function on a binary search that receives two nodes and returns its common ancestor.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

I submitted my resume at a campus career fair to the recruiters in attendance and got an email back about a week later to schedule an on campus interview. I did the interview on campus a couple days after receiving the email and had the option to pick between two days. I received a rejection email several weeks after my interview.

Interview Questions

• Some array searching question. I can't remember it exactly. He had me code on a whiteboard and stated pseudocode was acceptable. The interviewer seemed like he didn't want to be there and I could tell he was unimpressed with my performance. He asked about time complexity for the solutions I provided. He did not ask any background or personality questions and the interview consisted entirely of the coding question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA).

Interview

I was recruited after on campus interviews which were a series of problems that I coded on paper. I was told to do some engineering challenges on their website, so I did, and I contacted them afterward. Got flown out to Boston two weeks later for an onsite. Four stage interview, with questions that seemed to vary greatly from interviewer to interviewer. Code on whiteboard questions only, no system architecture. Heard back in a week.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Needham, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through a campus recruiting event, and after a week or two I got a phone screen. The questions were pretty easy, standard algorithms. Then after a couple weeks I got an onsite interview with them. It consisted of four interviews, around 45 minutes each. The questions were a bit harder, and a lot of them required you to actually write out code.

Interview Questions

• Given an input stream of an indeterminate length, how do you return a random member of that stream (with equal probability for each), given that you're not allowed to store more than a constant number of inputs, and you can only go through the inputs once.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

It is a campus interview. Introduce the company, and ask the questions about your resume. Talk about your projects. Basic knowledge about sorting, graph, binary search tree. And do a coding problem on whiteboard.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter to discuss possible opportunities. After we exchanged several emails, we set up a time to talk by phone. This initial conversation was focused mainly on exploring more what each of us was looking for, and was not yet a technical interview. The next steps would have been a follow-up, more technical phone interview with the hiring team lead.

Interview Questions

• TripAdvisor is refreshingly up-front with it's interview process and goes out of it's way to let you know what to expect and make sure you prepare ahead of time. There is a very good TripAdvisor blog post on the subject that I highly recommend reading.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

2 phone screens on skype, then a homework then came on campus for a day of 5 interviews. In the end no offer because of a lack of Java experience. They didn't ask any Java questions in the interview so I'm not sure what the deal is...

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

(1) A Skype interview with one interviewer. The interviewer introduced himself, then asked about my background skills, finally gave me two coding questions.

(2) A homework project that must be finished in 24 hours. There is no supporting code, and the requirement is stated in a document. The Email said the project could be finished in 2 hours, which I found difficult to complete in such amount of time.

Interview Questions

• (1) Given a string, find the first char that only appears once. (both iterative & recursion way)
      (2) Given a csv file containing all the hotel deals, find the best deal according to the check date and stay nights.

Answer Question