TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

78 interviews

3.1

78 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2013.

I first applied at a career fair in October. I received an email requesting an interview in a few weeks, and conducted an online interview using whiteboard and online coding.

Interview Questions
  • There were 2 questions, the harder one being: Given a singly-linked-list of characters, remove all numeric values from the linked list and return it. The other one was to accurately describe the workings of a hash map.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

It's the first round phone interview. It took about 30 mins. The interviewer ask some basic stuff about data structure, and one coding question.

Interview Questions
    • Try to find the nearest common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Gave resume at uni career fair and got a call.
    why use Hashmap and more deep in to its implementation. collisions . basic understanding. not required to code this.
    Phone- collaborative coding. You need to explain the algorithm you write.

1. stack and heap.
    2. abstract class and interface
    3. Validate a BST
    few more questions which are basic, but I dont remember them, sorry!!,You should be able to find most of them on glassdoor already

Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2013.

Textbook technical interview, all questions are to be expected. I mentioned this below, but be sure to be rock solid on your basic data structures and algorithms (trees and tree traversal, arrays, heaps, linked lists, hash tables, O-notation... you name it). This is a very fair interview that you can completely own with enough preparation.

That being said, I had a net negative experience. I'd think that how a company treats its interviewees is indicative of how it'd treat its employees, and compared to how other similar caliber companies will treat a potential tech hire: TA's not great.

Remember that if you're a qualified candidate, the company's not just interviewing you, but you're interviewing them. Take a look around (though they won't give you a tour), get a feel for the culture. Most importantly, ask questions of your interviewer and gauge their personalities. See if these are people you'd really want to work with before making a decision. And if the company treats you poorly or is unfair to you, take note and move on.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Met the guy at the career fair. 2 phone interviews in 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Detect if a string is a palindrome. Follow-up: if there is whitespaces in the string.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2013.

I talked to an engineer at a campus job fair and got scheduled for an interview the next day. It was a 30 minute interview and completely technical. No behavioral questions were asked.
    I was asked about HashMaps, Principles of Object Orientation, Binary Search Trees, lots of runtime questions (best, worst, average case). These were all just questions where I was asked about how I would implement them and other general java conceptual questions.

They got back to me within the next week.

Interview Questions
    • Part 1) Write a function that checks if a string is a palindrome.

Part 2) What if the string has a bunch of spaces, but if the same letters are still in the string, it is still a palindrome? ie) _ _ _ a _ b _ _ _ a _ -> true
      Constraint: you can't trim the spaces out or pull anything out of the string. Must be checked in place.
        View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in January 2013.

People were very nice to talk to. The technical interview over the phone was a bit intimidating. Lots of term definitions, algorithm talk, and virtual white board coding in real time.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about polymorphism and creating a data structure.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

I met the hiring team in one of the career fairs and got a call for telephonic round. The first telephonic round was quite simple with basic questions on runtime analysis of basic data structures and a small code on linked list

Interview Questions
    • Nothing as such was very difficult. There was a simple question asked on deletion of node in a linked list   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2013.

Sucks. I'm from California and they're based in the east coast, so when they scheduled my interview, they assumed I knew that it was going to be EST instead of PST and didn't mention the time zone (even though they recruited me at my school's career fair in California).

The question was extremely open ended and the interviewer gave me about only 15 minutes to answer it. After 15 minutes, he said, sorry but I don't think you're right for this position and hung up.

Interview Questions
    • add a node to a Linked List.

class LinkedList{
        void add(){
        }
      }

and that's all he gave me.
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Telephone Interview: Question is about manipulation of the linked list.