TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015
Updated Apr 6, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with a recruiter, a technical phone screen with an engineer, and an on-site interview where I met with about 5 engineers for 45 min-1 hr sessions each and had to do whiteboarding. On the whole, it was fine, but a few of my interviewers were pretty rude/jerk-y to me, which was discouraging. I would ask clarifying/follow-up questions about the coding problems they'd given me and they just wouldn't answer or would be really snide and snarky. I left with a really negative impression of the culture... especially because I am female and they were all male. It also seemed like their codebase was a mess and that they weren't into mentoring at all, which wasn't the type of environment I was looking for.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Met TripAdvisor at the campus job fair at UW Madison and after a couple of questions on complexity analysis of basic data structures, was asked to meet for an on-campus interview the next day. For the interview, I was asked questions based on divide-conquer recurrences and some more complexity analysis- nothing unexpected. I think my solution worked and even the interviewer thought so, but I got a message from the HR saying they had decided to move forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Not any, just basic recurrences and complexity analysis.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Applied in Career Fair. Got an interview scheduling request after 2 days. It was a 30 min interview comprising of a single technical question. Yet to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Find number of pairwise elements in an array with difference k.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

takes more than a month, unlimited phone interview, no any response more than 2 weeks. the online test is not hard but 40 mins is short for the long question describe .

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through college. Got an on-campus interview, probably the easiest interview of my life. I think they just wanted to make sure I wasn't lying on my resume? The interviewer said I passed that part, then it took them a month to proceed with the process, at which point they gave me 24 hours to complete an online coding challenge. They responded a few weeks later saying we will not be moving forward. No positive/negative feedback despite asking for it.

Overall, TripAdvisor seems like a pretty needy/beggy company. Always putting "tripadvisor.com/careers" everywhere, and advertising over the city to apply...

Interview Questions

• Write a function to remove repeated spaces from a string (ex: "one two three four" -> "one two three four")   3 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Tufts University, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

They got my resume at the job fair and asked if I wanted to interview. The process took a really, really long time as they probably were dealing with a lot of potential candidates. After the first interview, I was asked to do a coding challenge, which took about 4 hours. it wasn't that hard either though, but thinking about how to make it really efficient was kind of fun.

I'm actually still in the interview process (it's taking so long) so I marked that I didn't get an offer below

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly about my resume, but there was one coding question: Given a string like " hi there do you like programming? " remove all the extra spaces and return the string.

Homework question: Given a tsv (tab separated value) file with hotels and their deals, write a program that takes in user input (day of check in, check out, hotel name) and return the best deal.

1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

first of all theny come to our university and then they give me a brief face to face interview and then they give me a online test. the test is not difficult but I failed.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

interviewed at TripAdvisor (Springfield, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied on campus career fair, got interview few days later on campus. The interviewer is very professional, asked some behavior questions and give a white broad test: find the common number in two linked lists, then return with a new linked list.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2014.

Interview

I got the interview through a career fair. The interviewer was extremely nice and friendly. The entire process was over Skype and took about one hour. I hadn't done a technical interview before, and this was a great first experience for me.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that counts the number of enabled bits in an Integer.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied at college career fair. Got asked several technical questions at the career fair. A few days later, a recruiter contacted me and set up a technical phone interview. I did not pass the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing special. Just coding questions about basic computer science.   Answer Question