TripAdvisor

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

94 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

Phone interview with a manager. Asked me to write a code for Binary search and my class experience. Also been asked about the base knowledge of C++. I am also asked about const and the difference between reference and value. I guess I didn't prepare well for these questions.

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor in January 2014.

I was asked to explain what it is and why someone would use a Hash Table, a Heap, and Red and Black Trees. Aside from that I was also asked to write a program that, given a number n, would run the 'collatz' equation till 1 and print each number on the way.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions per say. It was all about whether or not I remembered how each data structure worked, and if I was comfortable enough with each one to give real reasons for using it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in December 2013.

Had an on campus interview, then a phone screen, and finally an on site in Newton. The interview's were fairly basic and didn't focus on a particular area, so just make sure your basics are solid. For the on-site I was in an interview room while people came in and introduced themselves for a total of four interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly tricky, just don't embarrass yourself by messing up something basic like I did   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

It's the first round phone interview. It took about 30 mins. The interviewer ask some basic stuff about data structure, and one coding question.

Interview Questions
    • Try to find the nearest common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Gave resume at uni career fair and got a call.
    why use Hashmap and more deep in to its implementation. collisions . basic understanding. not required to code this.
    Phone- collaborative coding. You need to explain the algorithm you write.

1. stack and heap.
    2. abstract class and interface
    3. Validate a BST
    few more questions which are basic, but I dont remember them, sorry!!,You should be able to find most of them on glassdoor already

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2013.

I first applied at a career fair in October. I received an email requesting an interview in a few weeks, and conducted an online interview using whiteboard and online coding.

Interview Questions
    • There were 2 questions, the harder one being: Given a singly-linked-list of characters, remove all numeric values from the linked list and return it. The other one was to accurately describe the workings of a hash map.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in November 2013.

TripAdvisor is very thorough in their interview process, but not so different from other software companies hiring for the same role. There was initial contact with a university recruiter, a phone interview, then an on-campus technical interview that involved writing some code. At each step the process was very positive, so it was disappointing to not get a final offer.

Interview Questions
    • Write a technically-correct program to do a binary search.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Met the guy at the career fair. 2 phone interviews in 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Detect if a string is a palindrome. Follow-up: if there is whitespaces in the string.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

I met the hiring team in one of the career fairs and got a call for telephonic round. The first telephonic round was quite simple with basic questions on runtime analysis of basic data structures and a small code on linked list

Interview Questions
    • Nothing as such was very difficult. There was a simple question asked on deletion of node in a linked list   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Telephone Interview: Question is about manipulation of the linked list.