TripAdvisor Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015
Updated Apr 6, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviewers asked me to tell them something about the project experience in the resume and ask a few questions that they are interested in . And then ask a technical question: explain a HashTable. After that, they told me something about their company and said they will contact me if we can move to the next step.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TripAdvisor

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

I interviewed for a new graduate full-time position for software engineering. We spoke about my resume (asked questions about my previous internship experience) for first 15mins and then the remainder of the interview was technical.

Interview Questions

• -Difference between array and linked list
      -What type of data structure would you use to store a dictionary of words and what is the runtime
      -Code writing: write a function to reverse a linked list

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TripAdvisor in September 2014.

Interview

Applied in career fair. Got an email scheduling a Skype technical interview after 5 days. Then it took them 10 days to get back to me, asking if the next day worked. Then until 45 minutes before the interview, the HR sent me the link to an online whiteboard I would do all the coding on. My interviewer is pretty nice and overall the interview is very casual. I got one data structure question and one coding question. After I finished coding, the interviewer suggested a better algorithm.

Interview Questions

• How to find the closet common ancestor of two nodes in a binary search tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Atlanta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

Went to a career fair and gave them my resume. They called that night and offered me an interview for the next day. The interview consisted of a couple questions about my resume then it went to the tech interview

Interview Questions

• You have String 1: "abcdefgh". Write a code to remove "ad" so that you are left with "bcefgh".   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at TripAdvisor in September 2014.

Interview

Sending my resume on university career fair. They give me an interview on the next day. Interview question is not that hard, convert user input to Roman Numbers. After writing my algorithm, the follow up question is the time-complexity.

Interview Questions

• Convert user input to Roman Number   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in August 2014.

Interview

two phone technical interviews followed by onsite interview in Newton. During onsite, there were two technical interviews, 15 minute discussion (cultural fit) with the VP, and a brief chat with a recruiter at the end.

Want to be in SF

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview

Met with a representative at my college career fair. Was asked a few basic comp sci questions in person. Dealt with sort algorithms and their complexity/big O analysis. Also was asked about heap sort and how heaps in general work. Then asked to come to an official interview on campus.

Interview Questions

• Write code for a binary tree who find the lowest node and bubbles it up to the root.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at TripAdvisor in June 2014.

Interview

I was submitted through a recruiter. First round was a technical phone screen over collabedit, focused on algorithms and SQL. Also many trivia questions on data structure, algorithmic, and database performance, as well as knowledge of statistics/ML. The next round was a take home assignment on a common machine learning/prediction problem, which can be completed in any open source language of your choice.

Interview Questions

• Sort an array of integers.   Answer Question
    • Select the elements from a SQL table where an aggregate function meets a certain condition.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by a recuriter agent. Then technical phone interview. Stopped at this round.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TripAdvisor (Boston, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

Met them at a career fair, was asked to describe hash map. Was invited to an on-campus interview the next day. Questions on binary search and finding the LCA in a tree. Interviewer was very helpful with the last one.
    Got email with "homework" assignment in 2 weeks or so. The homework is described here on Glassdoor at some for an intern position I believe. The whole point was to see how you would treat unexpected user input (it was about sorting, but you're allowed to use the sort from the library). Passed that and got invited to an on-site interview a week or so later.
    Interviewed a month later (on my request). They flew me to Boston and put me in a nice hotel. I had interviews with 4 people (it is my understanding that there were supposed to be 5, but the last one didn't make it, though I may be wrong). Questions were basic. I thought I did well (very well on 3 of them, well enough on the other). Didn't get the job :( Still hoping for some feedback on that (they sort of promised that, but I just got a standard rejection).