TripAdvisor

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview Details – Gave resume at career fair, got emailed for a phone interview about a month later. 30-45 minute phone interview, asking how to merge two sorted lists in linear time. Interviewer seemed to be just a regular guy, wasn't a bad experience.

Question:
Merge two sorted lists (of ints) in linear time. Make sure to account for possible duplicates. The way to answer it is like how you sort lists in mergesort. (In other words, if x[0]>y[0], list_to_be_returned[0]=x[0], x=x[1:] and repeat.)

Interview Question – TripAdvisor's motto is "speed wins" so do it quickly   Answer Question

Software Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor.

Interview Details – Phone interview, ask about experience and background. Then asked me to implement a merge sort. About a week later, I was given a homework problem to do over the weekend, which was writing a console program that allows user to sort data according to their specifications. A week after that they informed me that I did not pass the homework problem.

Interview Question – Console program that sorts data according to user specification   Answer Question

Newton, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TripAdvisor in October 2011.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone screen, followed promptly by an in person visit which consisted of 4 one hour interviews back to back and got a decision on the same day.

Interview Question – Finding the depth of any arbitrary node in a binary tree   Answer Question

Worked for TripAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!