TripAdvisor

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TripAdvisor in February 2014.

Interview Details dropped my CV at a carrer fair at the university, got an email about two weeks later for a phone interview. There were four questions, pretty easy if you know about data structures and algorithms.
1- write a program that would remove digits from a linked list
2- how does a Hash Table/Map work?
3- WHat's the diff b/w an Array and a Linked list and when would you use one over the other?
4- Why TripAdvisor?
About an hour later, I got an email for a seond phone interview but this time with some manager. Here are the questions:
1- What is a Binary tree? what's the difference between a Binary Search tree and a BTree?
2- Write a class to model a Binary tree.
3- what other attributes would you use in addition to the basic structure?
4- write a method that calculates the sum of all elements at a certain depth of the tree.
5- your method uses recursion, what is the problem with recursion and how can it be solved?
6- don't write the code but just tell me how you would do number 4 without recursion.
About an hour later, I was invited to fly to the Headquarters for an on-site 4-hours interview.
First on-site interview with a very kind and nice person:
1- given two sorted lists of integers, write a method to return a list that contains their intersection (integers that are on both lists). Optimize your method.
2- given a grid of 1s and 0s, write a method that calculates the number of islands in the grid. An island is any set of connected 1s horizontally or vertically.
Second Interview with a manager who seemed to not like my profile given I have a Ph.D. and teaching experience. He started asking questions not related to the job. He actually asked questions about Computer Networks because I have a Ms.C. in computer networks. He also sounded bossy and kind of mean, not very respectful and not friendly at all. He asked one question only:
1-I'll give you a dictionary of 7-letters words in any structure you want. Given 7 tiles, write an optimized method to find if a word with the 7 tiles exists in the dictionary.
Everyone else, including the guy who came to tell me that they were not moving on with me, was very kind and friendly. I loved the experience and the atmosphere at the office.
When I saw how the last interviewer was talking to me, I decided that I do not want to work under him and I actually did not put much effort into answering the question.
I was told it took me too much time to figure out a good solution in my second interview and this is why they decided not to take me.
I would definitely try again later and hope I will not be interviewed by the same manager.

Interview Questions