True Value

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Systems Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at True Value.

Interview Details – The hiring process was great. True Value asked me behavorial questions, and were very straight forward on what they expected. The HR staff here is extremely helpful and answers questions completely without being evasive. Great company to work for without a doubt. Take full advantage of the college recruiting and DO NOT pass up mock interviews at your college.

Interview Question – As long as you are prepared to answer any sort of questions, you'll be fine. I suggest thinking about how you were an impact on previous jobs or during group work in college.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Retail Associate Interview

Retail Associate
Selah, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at True Value in December 2012.

Interview Details – Generally you're interviewed by the owner and the "HR" manager, they ask very broad and general questions that anyone can answer if you've had any kind of experience. Be sure to talk to only the "HR" manager as the other managers will blow you off. Be sure to talk to him personally or your application will get lost on his desk

Interview Question – Name your strengths and weaknesses and explain why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you either take their offer or you wont get the job. They assume they can find anyone to do the job and quality doesn't matter to them.

DeKalb, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at True Value in October 2013.

Interview Details – sat asked for resume and asked many behavior questions

Interview Question – tell me a time when you disagreed with an employee and how did you go about it ?   Answer Question

Inventory Planner

I applied through college or university and interviewed at True Value.

Interview Details – One of the recruiters was very rude. I didn't feel comfortable because of their attitudes during the interview.

Interview Question – It's pretty typical, tell me about yourself, how do you maintain/develop relationship with other professionals, etc   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at True Value in December 2012.

Interview Details – Initially chosen for an interview through college recruiting. Went through a 1-on-1 interview with HR on campus, entirely behavioral questions, and was then contacted several weeks later for a day of interviewing at corporate. I interviewed with several directors in inventory planning, followed by several business process managers - everyone was very clear about their expectations and what they were looking for. They were also honest with opportunities for movement within the company and the structure of the job. Overall pleasant experience! I received a call a week later with an offer and accepted.

Interview Question – How are you analytical - what sort of skills do you use, how do you analyze a difficult situation or set of numbers?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Cashier Interview

Western Springs, IL

I applied in-person - interviewed at True Value in January 2009.

Interview Details – I showed up answered a few question and I got the job unfortunatlly. The interview to get this job was not hard. After working there I found out why and that is because it had the number one turn around rate for teenagers of any business in Western Springs because of how rude and disrespectful the owner is. I have nothing good to say about her.

Interview Question – No but the boss was a slave driver   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was paid min. wage for 4 years. When I asked for a raise she refuse to give me one. Though she gave an obese girl a raise who had been there less months then I had years and called in sick more times then I did.

Very Difficult Interview

Cashier Interview

Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at True Value in June 2012.

Interview Details – this company discriminates so if you are from another country and have an accent please dont apply here! the guy call me and told me to come down for an interview but as soon as he notice my accent he told me you know what this is not going to work out and hang on me! I was shock in all my years as a worker nobody ever did that to me! if you want to be consider and respected in a job this is not the kind of job!

Interview Question – is wasn't a question it was more like they didn't like my accent   View Answer

Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at True Value in October 2010.

Interview Details – Campus Interview: They scheduled me for a campus interview and they had 13 interview slots on-campus. Interview lasted about 45 minutes (6-7 behavioral questions) with the director and another inventory planner in the room. At the end of the interview I was told they will let me know within 1-2 weeks if they want me to go further in the interviewing process. 3 Weeks went by and I had to contact them to ask if they had decided on me. They should let candidates know if they want them or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to tackle a problem and solve it.   Answer Question
  • Describe a situation where you had to do something beyond your responsibility to finish a task.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at True Value in January 2010.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, one on campus and one at the corporate headquarters. 3 panel interviews at corporate, had to basically say the same thing to each group of people. No skills test or anything objective. Also got a tour of the building and met a recent grad who was working at the position I was applying for

Interview Question – When did you display leadership?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They offered me 43,000 per year and refused to negotiate. That is honestly pretty insulting considering what the typical offer is for that position in other companies (usually between 55,000 and 60,000) and the extremely high standard of living in Chicago and Cook County in general.

General Merchandise Handler Interview

Manchester, NH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at True Value in March 2009.

Interview Details – I applied and they gave me a call back a couple of days later to set up the interview.
I went in and took a test it was mostly math problems.
I sat down with 2 people I think they were supervisors. They told me there were no right or wrong answers. They asked me What I like most and least about my last or current job. they asked me to tell them my most respected and least respected people were and why. They asked me to describe a typical day of work at my last job. One question was what do I think I need improvement on. What makes a good supervisor? Why I would be a good person to work at true value? They then gave me a tour of the warehouse talking about how the work was done. They then talked about safety and programs they had to make more money if you work harder. Then they told me if I was the right fit they would let me know in a few days. I got a letter in the mail saying they took someone else.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for True Value? Contribute to the Community!

True Value Videos

True Value – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​​​​Join a company that values the best Headquartered in Chicago, True Value Company is one of the world's largest member-owned hardware cooperatives. With Destination True Value we've created a compelling shopping… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at True Value interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by True Value employees and interview candidates.