TubeMogul Interview Questions & Reviews

19 interviews

2.9

Senior Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TubeMogul in July 2014.

Recruiter missed first phone interview and did not follow up for a few days. A few days later she emailed apologizing and once again set up phone interview. The 2nd phone call that was scheduled, you guessed it, she missed it again. This time she immediately followed up and rescheduled. I let her reschedule but figured she'd never call again. 3rd time phone screen was complete, check.

After 1 week of not hearing back, I emailed her asking "Hey is this position still open"? She immediately responded that it was and that she would pass my resume. She emailed the same day trying to set up call with hiring manager who was interested. I didn't respond immediately and she sent another email saying they wanted an in person instead.

Fast track -- I'm at the in-person. They had just recently IPO'd but the atmosphere was glum...

Interview with hiring manager was unprofessional. He went over his 30 min time slot and spoke with me for OVER an hour. He told me how someone was fired recently for the junior am position. He then asked me at the end if I would be interested in the Jr. position instead. I said no. Then he backtracked. Awkward.

Bottom line-- I didn't get a job offer but I was not impressed by the quality of the team, their interview process, or the structure of their team. Also Emeryville location isn't ideal.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at TubeMogul in May 2014.

Their internal recruiter started off on a good foot. I was contacted due to particular experiences I had rather than as random spam.

During the technical part of the interview they seemed enthusiastic about me coming to work for them. They said they would get back to me with next steps, but after over a week I still hadn't heard back from them. This was extremely disrespectful and I would not recommend anyone bother to interview with them.

I suspect that the reason I was not asked back was the cultural question. I mentioned that I would not like to work in a place with a "frat boy programmer" culture, and that diversity and respect for women and intersectionality are very important to me. The interviewer seemed surprised by that answer, and I think it didn't sit well because most of the guys at the company know each other from college. I did not get the impression that they had a culture of respect and this would likely be a hostile place for women or minorities to work.

Interview Questions
    • There were not really any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Senior PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at TubeMogul in May 2014.

Phase 1: Initially screened over the phone by Technical Recruiter for about 30 minutes. Standard questions regarding experience and cultural fit were asked.

Phase 2: Screened over the phone by the Director the following day for about 40 minutes. Technical questions were asked to assess level of experience.

Phase 3: Asked to visit on site for a 3-hour interview. I was individually interviewed by the Project Manager, two Developers, and the Director. I was also surprised and honored to meet the President, who also asked me a few questions. The two developers assessed my Web Development skills by asking questions about PHP, CSS, and Javascript.

Everyone was very respectful, courteous, and welcoming. This is a mature start-up environment, so don't expect to see people dressed in suits and ties. The culture is right in between casual and business-casual, but people are still expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner. I had a very positive experience with the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question, only because I couldn't answer the question due to my failure to review this topic, was, "List and describe three object oriented design patterns."   View Answer

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Emeryville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TubeMogul.

Initial phone call screening, in-person interview (met with 3 people - co-worker, manager, and recruiter) - met with them separately, received a call a few days later with offer.

Vice President of TV Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at TubeMogul.

They have had this job posted since August 2013. Why have they not been able to fill it?

Interviewed with head of Sales. Interview lasted about 20 min. before the exec had to leave for another meeting. Job posting on the company website and on Glassdoor indicated the job was at the Emeryville HQ. After about five minutes into the interview I was asked if I would be willing to relocate to NYC because that was where the job was located. Pointed out to the exec that was not what his website said. "Oh, HR must have made a mistake." Well, nothing has been changed in the wording of the post about NYC, going on six months later.

This is an old ploy of a way to blow someone off, rather than being honest and direct...say the job is 3000 miles away.

They wanted someone with experience in TV sales, and I have 20+ successful years in the space. "Oh, well what about selling Online ads?" No? Next move was to ask if I had a possible interest in a non-VP level sales job, in SF. Exec asked me to check back in a week for further discussion. After several emails and phone calls to the exec to follow-up, there was never any sort of response back. Total unprofessional BS experience.

Anonymous Employee  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at TubeMogul in September 2013.

I met them at the career fair and got an email the following day for an interview

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TubeMogul in December 2013.

- Applied through company website
    - contacted by HR
    - Telephonic interview round

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TubeMogul.

1. On Campus Career Fair - Resume Screened
    2. On -Campus Intern : Basic sorting questions, hash tables
    3. On-Site interview: Talked to 3 different engineers including project lead for web development

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at TubeMogul in October 2013.

I first contacted TubeMogul in April looking for a summer software engineering internship position, but all positions filled up. I found TubeMogul at my university's career fair in September and met with the recruiter I had been in contact with in April and received an invitation for an on-campus interview.

The on-campus interview lasted 30 minutes. I was given a PHP code snippet and asked to show what the function would return. I was also asked high-level MVC design questions.

One week later, I was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site lasted 3 hours and I spoke with 4 employees. One employee asked general programming questions involving analyzing code snippets, OOP, DB queries, and writing functions. The second employee asked front-end web dev questions involving javascript, CSS, and jQuery. The third and fourth employees did not ask technical questions, but instead evaluated me for a cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here specifically, rather than at another East Bay software company?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TubeMogul.

This took awhile with lots of emails and a couple of face to face.

Interview Questions
    Offer letter, which I signed right away.

Worked for TubeMogul? Contribute to the Community!