TubeMogul Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015

2.9

Lead Database Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TubeMogul (Oakland, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a very good experience with the professional people. The entire process lasted about 2 weeks from the day their internal recruiter contacted me first to the onsite round. The first technical interview required you to be on a computer so you can code and architect a solution on their test servers created for the purpose of interview. The guy here was very cool and patient. Next he invited me for an onsite interview. When I reached there I had trouble finding a parking spot and the entrance. A guy who was parking his BMW in the alley offered help. He said he worked at TubeMogul and he could escort me in. Well, he turned out to be the CEO of the company - very polite and a modest guy.

Once inside I was offered tea/coffee/snacks if I liked and then I proceeded to the interviews that I was scheduled with a few people. Interviewed three different rounds of 1-1 interviews. The questions were very legitimate and relevant although not easy to crack including some questions on tricky scenarios and their resolutions. Everyone was very professional and friendly and I felt comfortable during the entire three hours process. It was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Very complex scenarios and its resolution on MySQL issues with rare configurations.
      Write a trigger to insert a record in Table B if a record is inserted in Table A.
      Configure Master-Master replication on their test servers setup.
      Where do you see yourself in five years from now?

Answer Question

Account Management Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TubeMogul.

Interview

Initial contact with recruiter was pleasant and professional. I was called into the HQ in Emeryville and met with an Account Director (?). I was surprised that I didn't meet with anyone else in the office considering the fact that I was fairly well qualified for the position with 10+ years of experience. Generic and fairly lackluster interview, typical questions such as "how do you stay motivated" and "how do you deal with difficult clients". I followed up a few times before the recruiter got back to me, I found it strange and inconsiderate that the original interviewer wouldn't at least send a reply email.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what I would do to motivate a team of younger colleagues and asked to give specific examples, such as "cool off-site happy hours".   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TubeMogul.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to setup an initial phone screen with a recruiter. The phone call lasted maybe 10 minutes and seemed very unauthentic. I went in for an interview and I could tell that the first individual who interviewed me was very nervous and seemed unprepared and dazed. The next individual that interviewed me was a little more intelligent. We discussed the position, he asked multiple questions about my sales background, education, interests, and recent work. Overall, the interview went well, but the office culture seemed like a morgue.

Interview Questions

• Name one time you went above and beyond. I know this is any easy question, but I have always gone above and beyond for all of my employers. However, it is very difficult to translate the authenticity of that fact to prospective interviewers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was present for an on-campus interview and interviewed by an engineer and a product manager. The interview was pretty standard with background about the company, some behavioral questions, and the engineer was very helpful and patient during the technical questions. I was pretty slow on the uptake but I asked a lot of questions and with his help I eventually got the question.

Interview Questions

• Two trains cars are parachuted from the sky onto a set of tracks. They cannot communicate with each other. After falling on the tracks, the parachutes fall off and stay at their position on the tracks, and we may call a helper function to determine whether a train is next to a parachute. We must use the same program on both trains. How might we get the two trains to hit/connect to each other?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TubeMogul (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I had a phone screen with HR and as next step in the process, called in to meet the team. I first met with the account director and she was a spitfire. I couldn't even finish my sentences and she would move on to the next question. I also had a "case" to think through, not sure how an offline related case is relevant to a digital video company though. Next was an account manager who chewed gum throughout the entire interview. And interviewees are always taught to be professional! His questions were straightforward.

Lastly, was another account manager and he was on his laptop the entire time, barely looked up (even when asking questions) to engage with me. He could've at least had a preamble he would be on his laptop taking notes. Worst 2 hours of interviewing with unprofessionals.

Interview Questions

• There are 2 bookstores in the same mall, should one of the stores close down?   Answer Question

Senior Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TubeMogul (Emeryville, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Recruiter missed first phone interview and did not follow up for a few days. A few days later she emailed apologizing and once again set up phone interview. The 2nd phone call that was scheduled, you guessed it, she missed it again. This time she immediately followed up and rescheduled. I let her reschedule but figured she'd never call again. 3rd time phone screen was complete, check.

After 1 week of not hearing back, I emailed her asking "Hey is this position still open"? She immediately responded that it was and that she would pass my resume. She emailed the same day trying to set up call with hiring manager who was interested. I didn't respond immediately and she sent another email saying they wanted an in person instead.

Fast track -- I'm at the in-person. They had just recently IPO'd but the atmosphere was glum...

Interview with hiring manager was unprofessional. He went over his 30 min time slot and spoke with me for OVER an hour. He told me how someone was fired recently for the junior am position. He then asked me at the end if I would be interested in the Jr. position instead. I said no. Then he backtracked. Awkward.

Bottom line-- I didn't get a job offer but I was not impressed by the quality of the team, their interview process, or the structure of their team. Also Emeryville location isn't ideal.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at TubeMogul (Emeryville, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Their internal recruiter started off on a good foot. I was contacted due to particular experiences I had rather than as random spam.

During the technical part of the interview they seemed enthusiastic about me coming to work for them. They said they would get back to me with next steps, but after over a week I still hadn't heard back from them. This was extremely disrespectful and I would not recommend anyone bother to interview with them.

I suspect that the reason I was not asked back was the cultural question. I mentioned that I would not like to work in a place with a "frat boy programmer" culture, and that diversity and respect for women and intersectionality are very important to me. The interviewer seemed surprised by that answer, and I think it didn't sit well because most of the guys at the company know each other from college. I did not get the impression that they had a culture of respect and this would likely be a hostile place for women or minorities to work.

Interview Questions

• There were not really any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Senior PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TubeMogul (Emeryville, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Phase 1: Initially screened over the phone by Technical Recruiter for about 30 minutes. Standard questions regarding experience and cultural fit were asked.

Phase 2: Screened over the phone by the Director the following day for about 40 minutes. Technical questions were asked to assess level of experience.

Phase 3: Asked to visit on site for a 3-hour interview. I was individually interviewed by the Project Manager, two Developers, and the Director. I was also surprised and honored to meet the President, who also asked me a few questions. The two developers assessed my Web Development skills by asking questions about PHP, CSS, and Javascript.

Everyone was very respectful, courteous, and welcoming. This is a mature start-up environment, so don't expect to see people dressed in suits and ties. The culture is right in between casual and business-casual, but people are still expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner. I had a very positive experience with the entire process.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question, only because I couldn't answer the question due to my failure to review this topic, was, "List and describe three object oriented design patterns."   1 Answer

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TubeMogul (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

Initial phone call screening, in-person interview (met with 3 people - co-worker, manager, and recruiter) - met with them separately, received a call a few days later with offer.

Vice President of TV Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TubeMogul (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

They have had this job posted since August 2013. Why have they not been able to fill it?

Interviewed with head of Sales. Interview lasted about 20 min. before the exec had to leave for another meeting. Job posting on the company website and on Glassdoor indicated the job was at the Emeryville HQ. After about five minutes into the interview I was asked if I would be willing to relocate to NYC because that was where the job was located. Pointed out to the exec that was not what his website said. "Oh, HR must have made a mistake." Well, nothing has been changed in the wording of the post about NYC, going on six months later.

This is an old ploy of a way to blow someone off, rather than being honest and direct...say the job is 3000 miles away.

They wanted someone with experience in TV sales, and I have 20+ successful years in the space. "Oh, well what about selling Online ads?" No? Next move was to ask if I had a possible interest in a non-VP level sales job, in SF. Exec asked me to check back in a week for further discussion. After several emails and phone calls to the exec to follow-up, there was never any sort of response back. Total unprofessional BS experience.