Tufts Health Plan

Updated Sep 3, 2014
Updated Sep 3, 2014

2.7

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tufts Health Plan.

The initial interview was with the sales manager. The second interview was a group interview with the sales and account management staff. A third interview was conducted by the human resources department.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you versus the other finalists?   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was not difficult as it was handle primarily by human resources.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Tufts Health Plan in December 2013.

I applied online for the Program Coordinator position with the THP Foundation at the beginning of November 2013 and was invited to interview just before Christmas. I arrived at 9 AM and met with the HR staff which had me complete paperwork before the formal portion of the interview began at 9:30 AM.

I was escorted to a meeting room by a manager who explained that the interview would involve meeting individually with three other members of the department (the entire department consists of 6-7 people) in addition to herself. She also described the position and asked the standard questions about my background, why I was interested in the position and career plans. Once we wrapped up, she handed me off the next person who covered more or less the same ground. She then retrieved the third individual for the next round and I got the same questions. The fourth person entered once the third left and we had a more productive exchange since she was the most junior member of the department (and had performed the job before moving into her present role). We discussed differences between how Tufts operates and how the foundation that I worked at previously operated. At the end, the manager returned and described the next phase of the process (conducting more interviews and making a decision in early January).

Although I was told by one of the interviewers that she did not doubt I could do the job, I felt that I had to "justify" my interest in the position since I already have a master's. Each person found it "odd" that I would want to be a Program Coordinator with a graduate degree. I haven't heard back and can only assume that they saw me as "overqualified". Not sure why they would waste my time and theirs when that should have been apparent from a review of my resume? It was a strange dynamic for an organization that is purportedly focused on philanthropy and improving life for senior citizens.

I thought that my past experience was a good fit and the opportunity to be of service as well as more involved with the evaluation of proposals (something I didn't get to do in my previous job) outweighed any concern about the nature of the tasks to be performed but I guess they felt differently. The job is still posted on their website.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. The job was primarily administrative and I had past experience. I was stumped by the question "What do you think would be most challenging about the job?"   View Answer

Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Tufts Health Plan.

I applied on line, supplying a resume and cover letter. I received a phone call to set up a phone interview with a recruiter from the Tufts (contract working in their HR dept). That interview was a basic getting to know you call.

I received a request to interview in person. I met with the Director of Training. I was asked to then come back for a second interview and be prepared to make a presentation. The topic could be anything from the Tufts Health Plan website, 30 minutes, for 10 people. Turns out they had 15 show up. The audience of your presentation fills out a survey afterward.

Before and after the presentation I met individually with 3 other training team members. Each had their own list of questions they wanted answered. All were pleasant.

I was told I would receive a call the following week and was asked to only contact the recruiter, not the director. After no call was received I called the recruiter who asked for another week as the outlook was promising, but they had not yet made a decision. I called back again after not hearing for another week and found my recruiter no longer worked there. I had to call the Director to find out who I should be contacting. Her lack of enthusiasm providing me with that information told me I didn't get the job, but no one would actually say it.

Through the new recruiter I found the position had been filled.

I also found out when I saw the same position posted multiple times, they were actually multiple training positions for different divisions that I could have been applying to. There is no indicator in the job posting what division the posting is for, and each reports to a different director.

Interview Questions
    • After my presentation I was asked why I had chosen that particular topic from the website. I thought that was an interesting question.   Answer Question

Broker Compensation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tufts Health Plan in May 2013.

Was contacted by an outside recruiter who quickly got me in the door for an onsite. I was relocating to the area from Michigan, and they were very helpful timing everything so I would not have to make multiple trips to the area. I met first with the Dir. of HR, who asked me very basic questions about my resume and history, nothing too out of the ordinary for an initial screening.
    Then I was taken upstairs to meet with the Finance Ops manager and director who were very pleasant and interesting to talk with. After about an hour, I met with the Director of Finance for a very brief interview. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. I received an offer the following week with the comment of "they absolutely loved you."

Interview Questions
    • There we no questions that seemed out of the ordinary for a financial analyst position.   Answer Question
    Since I was relocating, I negotiated for a small signing bonus to assist with relocation costs. They were happy to accept the terms and were very supportive during the process. Probably the easiest negotiation process I've ever had.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Got in contact through a third-party headhunter. First step was a phone interview with the hiring manager. She was very interested in technical things. Asked me if I constructed any models, which programming languages I knew, and examples of things I did with analysis. Asked if I used analysis in my IBNR, trend, etc... Didn't seem to be interested in anything other than technical things.

Interview Questions
    • Quite straight forward. Give me an example of a time you did some analsis.   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tufts Health Plan.

Applied online, waited four months and finally the HR called to verify my resume. Go to an on site a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to explain some cause for the medical trend.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Tufts Health Plan.

Internal recruiter phone-screened me, then invited me to interview with two separate people for a position.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn’t articulated – at least not to me – until the first actual interview that what they were most looking for included one key area of experience that I generally lacked. Once the interviewer/hiring manager established this, she soon became downright curt for the rest of the interview.

At the end of our scheduled half hour, she went to check with the second person I was to interview with. Upon returning, she said he had something unexpected come up and their recruiter would get back to me to reschedule the second part of the interview.

This was the only time this interviewer was pleasant to me. As it turned out, this was strictly an excuse to end the interview process.

I followed up with the recruiter a few times over a couple weeks, but she was never forthcoming with me, either. In fact, her first response was that she should have more word within the week.

To make matters more pathetic, a few weeks after the aborted interview, I saw and applied for a different HR position for which I was strongly qualified in all requirements and responsibilities. Although I emailed the recruiter to let her know I’d applied and that I recognized the first position wasn’t a full match, I never heard back from her.

Answer Question

Member Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tufts Health Plan in September 2011.

Started out with a typing test. If you pass the typing test you move on to a 2-3 supervisor interview that lasts about an hour. Then you move onto a multiple choice call center test. The whole interview lasted about 3 hours but the process was very stress free and everyone is very easy going.

Provider Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Tufts Health Plan in August 2010.

I came in based on a friends recommendation. The Manager already new who I was and the interview was very easy going. She did have me answer some questions that were about how you would handle different situations. They did have me take a typing test and meet with HR. Overall it was a positive experience.

I did not negotiate

Nurse Case Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tufts Health Plan in June 2010.

They recruited me, I met with a talent acquisition person. We reviewed my skill sets. Set up interviews with HR, and the team leaders. Negotiatiated salary, all went fairly smoothly. Took longer than I wanted to actually get on the job. They had some unexpected problem with a team leader suddenly getting ill and I had to interview with her supervisor which, actually, turned out better for me because we had and still do have a good connection.

Interview Questions
    ask for more than you think you can get, ask for a sign on bonus etc.
    Negotiation of salary was handled in about an hour with me with a calculator in one hand and the hr person consulting with someone else and coming back to talk to me several times before we sealed the deal.