Tufts University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Staff Assistant Interview

Staff Assistant
Medford, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Tufts University in January 2009.

Interview Details – Online, can take up to six months for an interview

Interview Question – What do you like least of all duties   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Associate
Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Tufts University in May 2009.

Interview Details – I e-mailed the lab PI requesting to know if he has an opening for a postdoc in his lab and he would consider me for the position. I included my CV and the latest published paper. I got a positive response the following day. A date was agreed upon for a in person interview. I traveled to Boston (plane ticket and hotel paid for by the lab) and had an interview with the PI and all members of his lab. I also presented my PhD thesis work in an hour long talk to the lab. Everybody was frank with their answers regarding what they liked an disliked about Boston, Tufts and the PI.

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting to be asked about my research experience prior to my graduate school years   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Standard postdoc package offered, no negotiations.

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Senior Research Assistant
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tufts University in September 2012.

Interview Details – I found the people to be incredibly friendly and helpful. A guy from HR contacted me to schedule an interview, and made me feel really relaxed and comfortable (I'm usually much more nervous). I thought the interview with the PI also went well, he was really approachable and you could tell he cared about his research.

Interview Question – The PI asked me what I could bring to the table beyond my laboratory experience, which I hadn't given much thought to beforehand.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager - Technology Interview

Somerville, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Tufts University in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for this position over 2 1/2 months ago and the process was as slow as molasses. I don't know if the office of the CIO is just slow, or they don't really care what kind of impression they make on candidates. This university seems to have a "take it or leave it" attitude toward the recruitment process. The on-campus recruiter was very unhelpful with respect to dates, decision expectations, etc, and the departmental staff seemed unwilling to offer any progress reports either.

The process began with a recruiter interview over the phone, then 2 weeks later, I was invited in for a sit-down with the department. After nearly a month (yes, a full month), I was called back for a second interview with senior management. They seemed bothered by the whole process and although one of them took copious notes, the director in this department seemed to be on a totally different wavelength with respect to what she wanted than the hiring manager (I hate this more than anything in the world).

On neither of those occasions did Tufts offer to pay my bus ride fees down from NH where I live and work at another higher-ed institution - 2 other firms did this without being asked. So, 2 1/2 months into the process, and after two days off from work to interview, I have not a single word from them. My feeling is, if they treat management candidates like this, you can only imagine how they will treat you as an employee.

And to boot, their salaries are markedly lower than the rest of the higher ed institutions in the Boston area.

Interview Question – What kind of provisioning process have you worked with for automated provisioning of servers for end customers (hiring manage never brought this up; only the director put it on the table - it was a sandbag).   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Tufts University in May 2008.

Interview Details – Very rigorous; I met with HR and three potential supervisors.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had an issue with a coworker and how you resolved it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was so grateful and surprised to be offered the position; I wish I had negotiated but I did not.

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Tufts University in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through the website, requiring an essay and three reference letters, transcripts, and a fee. I was called after two months, and they screen approximately 20 applicants for 5 positions in the program. Interviewed with three professors, and a group interview.

Negotiation Details – n/a

Dentistry Interview

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Tufts University in July 2011.

Interview Details – we had to interview different professors from the department, each of them specialized in even: research, clinical training or education. On top of it,

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Medford, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Tufts University in January 2010.

Interview Details – They were very nice, understanding and helpful

Interview Question – What is your experience with teaching and programming in C++?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Adjunct Faculty (Instructor) Interview

Adjunct Faculty (Instructor)
Medford, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Tufts University in June 2010.

Interview Details – Department chair contacted me by email and invited me to visit the department. I spend several hours getting a tour of the facilities and meeting with several faculty members in a small group setting. We discussed a provisional syllabus I had brought and I asked questions about the student body and department instructional priorities.

Interview Question – What material will your course emphasize?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was reasonable; on the high side of the range the chair initially thought the dean might approve.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Medford, MA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Tufts University in February 2010.

Interview Details – Spoke with 2 professors about my educational and research background and their research.

Interview Question – Detailed knowledge the department's rather than just the professor's work.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Tufts University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tufts University interview questions and advice in Boston, MA. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Tufts University employees and interview candidates.