Tufts University

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.5

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Tufts University in January 2014.

Very fast interview process, interviewed by phone and then shortly thereafter asked for a in-person interview. Nice office, sort of friendly staff, neutral interviewers. Did not really describe job tasks, just asked me questions. Said they would get back to me either way-- never did. Will not be applying to this particular office of Tufts again. Thought the office was very monotone, which concerned me. Nice campus, close to Davis Sq. and cultural activities. Nice area.

Senior Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tufts University in September 2012.

I found the people to be incredibly friendly and helpful. A guy from HR contacted me to schedule an interview, and made me feel really relaxed and comfortable (I'm usually much more nervous). I thought the interview with the PI also went well, he was really approachable and you could tell he cared about his research.

Interview Questions
    • The PI asked me what I could bring to the table beyond my laboratory experience, which I hadn't given much thought to beforehand.   View Answer

Manager - Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tufts University in June 2012.

I applied for this position over 2 1/2 months ago and the process was as slow as molasses. I don't know if the office of the CIO is just slow, or they don't really care what kind of impression they make on candidates. This university seems to have a "take it or leave it" attitude toward the recruitment process. The on-campus recruiter was very unhelpful with respect to dates, decision expectations, etc, and the departmental staff seemed unwilling to offer any progress reports either.

The process began with a recruiter interview over the phone, then 2 weeks later, I was invited in for a sit-down with the department. After nearly a month (yes, a full month), I was called back for a second interview with senior management. They seemed bothered by the whole process and although one of them took copious notes, the director in this department seemed to be on a totally different wavelength with respect to what she wanted than the hiring manager (I hate this more than anything in the world).

On neither of those occasions did Tufts offer to pay my bus ride fees down from NH where I live and work at another higher-ed institution - 2 other firms did this without being asked. So, 2 1/2 months into the process, and after two days off from work to interview, I have not a single word from them. My feeling is, if they treat management candidates like this, you can only imagine how they will treat you as an employee.

And to boot, their salaries are markedly lower than the rest of the higher ed institutions in the Boston area.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of provisioning process have you worked with for automated provisioning of servers for end customers (hiring manage never brought this up; only the director put it on the table - it was a sandbag).   View Answer

DENTISTRY Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tufts University in July 2011.

we had to interview different professors from the department, each of them specialized in even: research, clinical training or education. On top of it,

Adjunct Faculty (Instructor) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Tufts University in June 2010.

Department chair contacted me by email and invited me to visit the department. I spend several hours getting a tour of the facilities and meeting with several faculty members in a small group setting. We discussed a provisional syllabus I had brought and I asked questions about the student body and department instructional priorities.

Interview Questions
    The offer was reasonable; on the high side of the range the chair initially thought the dean might approve.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tufts University in February 2010.

I applied through the website, requiring an essay and three reference letters, transcripts, and a fee. I was called after two months, and they screen approximately 20 applicants for 5 positions in the program. Interviewed with three professors, and a group interview.

n/a

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Tufts University in February 2010.

Spoke with 2 professors about my educational and research background and their research.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed knowledge the department's rather than just the professor's work.   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tufts University in January 2010.

They were very nice, understanding and helpful

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with teaching and programming in C++?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tufts University in May 2009.

I e-mailed the lab PI requesting to know if he has an opening for a postdoc in his lab and he would consider me for the position. I included my CV and the latest published paper. I got a positive response the following day. A date was agreed upon for a in person interview. I traveled to Boston (plane ticket and hotel paid for by the lab) and had an interview with the PI and all members of his lab. I also presented my PhD thesis work in an hour long talk to the lab. Everybody was frank with their answers regarding what they liked an disliked about Boston, Tufts and the PI.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't expecting to be asked about my research experience prior to my graduate school years   Answer Question
    Standard postdoc package offered, no negotiations.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Tufts University in January 2009.

Online, can take up to six months for an interview