Tumblr Interview Questions

3.2

Systems and Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Tumblr.

submitted resume online and asked to talk to recruiter on in a few days
    the call is not pleasant. the recruiter from Barnard sounds cocky and indifferent. questions are why tumblr, why leave the current firm, technical background, previous project, salary expectation. The process is like interrogating.

Sales Interview

Very informative, fast and easy!

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tumblr in March 2014.

I received initial communication back from Tumblr on the second business day after submitting my application online, wherein we setup a time for an initial phone screening two days later. The initial phone screen went very well. The recruiter was very pleasant to speak with and the conversation flowed quickly. The phone screening took about 15 minutes and covered the basics including, desired salary, work experience, why tumblr, and when I'd be ready to start.

I shortly received another email from tumblr asking to setup a technical phone interview and the following week I spent about an hour on the phone with one of the engineers. The engineer was surprisingly very patient and even encouraging when I got stuck on one of the questions. We did basic coding challenge (brush up on basic algorithms) and it went very well. We talked a bit about some of the challenges I'd dealt with in past work experience and the questions went from mild to moderately difficult. Regardless, there were no tricks and the interviewer did a very thorough job.

I received an email from tumblr that same day, just a few hours after my technical phone screen, inviting me out to Tumblr HQ in NYC to do a round of in-person interviews. Since I wasn't located in NY they offered to pay for my flight and arrange for transportation. I flew out to New York city the following week and did about 4 rounds of interviews that lasted roughly 3 hours. I met with 7 different engineers/managers during that time. We did everything from code reviews to coding challenges, and architectural/design challenges. It was a pretty grueling 3 hours, to be honest, so be sure to do your prep.

Everyone I met with was extremely nice and inviting. The conversations were pretty casual and encouraging. I was offered cool Tumblr swag, free food and drinks. So overall my impression of Tumblr was pretty good.

A few days after my final round of interviews I got a phone call with a generous offer that included stock options and a signing bonus. I was very happy with the offer and accepted right there. I received a start date two weeks from signing my offer letter and relocated to NYC.

Interview Questions
    • If you have 50TB of access log files on a shared network storage device. You also have 50 servers with basic 500GB disks, 16 GB RAM, dual/quad core CPUs. What's the best way to use these servers to sort all 50TB of access logs by timestamp (assuming you have unlimited storage capacity on the shared network storage device).   View Answer
    The salaries are pretty competitive, but if you have other offers on the table be sure to make that know as it is a valuable negotiating chip. My offer was contingent on responding within a set time frame, but I was already very happy with the offer and didn't feel that I needed to renegotiate anything as they gave me exactly what I asked for. I think they're pretty firm on the stocks as they're restricted, but you may be able to renegotiate your signing bonus if you can justify any placed burden such as relocation, etc...

Director of Site Reliability Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tumblr in March 2014.

HR phone screen.
    Tech phone screen

Interview Questions
    • code in the language of your choice:

A site has 4,320,000 users. The users are sequentially numbered -- each user has a user_id between 1 and 4320000.

You want to slowly roll out a new feature to all users, at a consistent rate of X users per second. The roll-out should start at noon today, beginning with the newest user (id 4320000). The rollout should last two days, so user_id 1 gets the feature around noon two days from now.

$Write a function to determine whether the feature is currently enabled for a given user_id:

can_use_new_feature(int user_id) -> bool.

View Answer

BI Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tumblr in March 2014.

Applied on their website. Contacted by the recruiter right away. Talked to her first on the phone. Mainly about my background and why I am interested in Tumblr. After a couple day, she set up a phone interview for me to talk to one of the team member. I had to do some online coding during the interview. Not too hard, but I made some stupid mistake. Guess it ruined the whole game.

The whole experience is pretty smooth and fast. I hadn't heard back from them more 2 weeks after the phone interview so I shot an email and was told they were not going to continue.

Dev Ops Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tumblr.

What a mess. I went through two rounds of interviews. The first interviewer missed the first interview because he was sick, missed the second one because he was called away to another office and then was late for the 3rd call. The second interviewee had to interview me immediately very late in the day, and then was a no-show. He then called me direct an hour and a half after the call was scheduled and asked me two nonsensical questions. Not once during any of these interviews did they tell me in advance that the plans are changed, and they never followed up with me to tell me that i wasn't going to go further in the process. This was literally the worst conducted interview i have ever been on in my life. They spent more time talking about their own roles than they did probing my technical background.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have time to read your resume so tell me something about your background that i wouldn't get from this piece of paper.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tumblr.

An initial phone interview

Interview Questions
    • If you were to implement an online, global marketplace, what technology stack would you use?   Answer Question

Dev Ops Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tumblr.

Worst interview I've ever dealt with. I canceled after two interviews which took 5 weeks to setup. The first interviewer missed the first call because he was sick (an never bothered to reach out to the recruiter) and then was 45 minutes late for the second. He then just talked all about how amazing the company was and asked me one question. The second interviewer was an hour late. Opened with ..i read your resume so tell me something else about you that i wouldn't know .. and then asked me two questions that were basically comsci with no relation to the job.

Interview Questions

Wouldnt work at this mess of a company if they doubled my salary.

Community Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Tumblr.

I found the position open on Tumblr and immediately was contacted for an interview. I replied the following day for a potential time but received no response. After many attempts at reaching out again, the woman ignored all of them. Completely unprofessional.

Spanish Support Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tumblr in November 2013.

I found the position and applied immediately via their /jobs page. One day later, I was contacted by their lovely recruiter to set up a 30 minute phone interview. The following day, we were on the phone and it was all pretty standard. She asked me to tell her more about my work experiences, how much I would expect salary wise and checked to see if I knew about the basics needed for the job. After, she told me she'd pass my resume on to the manager in the Support department and that they'd be in touch to set up a 1:1 interview if he thought I was a good fit. Two days later I heard back and was set up for an interview in less than a week with three different members of the team I would be a part of. When I went in, the recruiter came to greet me and then later I met with each member one by one. I found the questions to be pertinent to the position I was applying for and every one of the members was pleasant to speak with. I felt very comfortable answering their questions.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find this difficult at all, but to answer this question, the "hardest" thing was being put on the spot to translate some support paragraphs from English to Spanish. And also, being tested on my Portuguese reading skills (which I mentioned in my phone interview). I did very well in both tests.   Answer Question
    When I received the offer call, I was very satisfied with the offer and accepted it as it was.