Turbine

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Needham, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Turbine in March 2013.

Interview Details – I got a call HR for the first phone interview, which she didn't know the exact job description then she mentioned that the company would split that position into two which are junior and senior level however I figured out she didn't know what she was saying after I've talked to 4 different people when I was there on site interview.

HR told me that I would be invited for an on site interview, and would a call from her secretary later that day or the following day at least. I waited for her call, but she didn't then I had to remind HR that I haven't got any invitation yet the following day afternoon. Probably HR's secretary forgot to schedule it which has been a bummer for me. Then she emailed interview time around 5pm, I don't think she would me send me the invitation unless I remind her

Anyway, I showed up the on time, someone took me to the conference room where I was supposed to meet with HR first, but she didn't show up so I waited 30 minutes there alone then somebody finally showed up which he wasn't supposed to according to the iteration.

The technical people who I've talked with seem very cool people, the only weird thing is they never asked me a direct technical question. Most of the questions are related with how am I approaching a problem which I never understood how could they estimate my technical skill by asking those kind of questions.

In addition, HR people do not give me good impression which I wouldn't consider their offer if they would.

Interview Question – Have you ever built and run a web site?   Answer Question

Content Designer Interview

Content Designer
Needham, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Turbine in October 2011.

Interview Details – I got connected to Turbine via a recruiter. They got me in touch with HR and HR got me set up for an initial phone interview with the team's design director. After talking with him, I was asked to fill out their design application. I was flown in for a face-to-face interview with the team (1-3 people at a time). It was interesting meeting the whole team, but it gave me a good chance to know the type of people I'd be working with and the company I'd be working for. It was a great experience.

Interview Question – Aside from gaming, what other hobbies do you have?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The company offers competitive salaries and good benefits. They also handle moving. There wasn't really much that needed negotiation.

Principal Engineer Interview

Principal Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Turbine in March 2010.

Interview Details – I had one of the best and fairest interviews at Turbine. They gave a couple of programming tests, focused on your area of expertise. There is no right or wrong answer, but it really determines your level of knowledge and experience in those areas.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Difficulty was based on experience level.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Quality Assurance Analyst
Norwood, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Turbine in October 2008.

Interview Details – Applied through Turbine's Website for a Job posting listed there, was contacted approximately 1 week later with a short phone interview, followed up with an email thank you, was asked in for a 2.5 hour on-site interview with several members of various QA teams, sent an email of thanks, was offered the position 2 days later.

Interview Question – I honestly don't recall as it was 7 years ago   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one. It was a temporary position for which the terms of employment were very clearly laid out at the interview.

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Boston, MA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Turbine in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was an internal candidate from another WB division interviewing for a job that I was ideally qualified for. The position was very similar to what I do in another division, the job title varied slightly.

I had what I thought was a decent interview, it lasted almost two hours. I promptly sent a follow up Thank you or two to everyone involved, and not a single person responded. HR never responded.

Based off of the questions I was asked and answered, I got the idea that people there were afraid of their merger into the Warner Brothers portfolio. They kept saying how corporate they weren't. I get it. Everyone thinks they're not corporate and can operate without defined policies. Also they seem to be actively avoiding aligning some of their infrastructure with Time Warner's as other divisons do. You are a software company that was about to go out of business so Warner Brothers bought you, guess what, it's coming boys.

I know there are some pretty screwed up divisions at Warner Brothers / Time Warner, but I think this one takes the cake in terms of HR.

If this is how they treat internal candidates, I'm glad I didn't hear back.

Interview Question – Name a difficult experience you had to deal with and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Turbine in August 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was well thought out and organized. Interviewers asked good questions that showed that they were competent and were looking for real industry experience. They did not ask stupid scripted questions. I would have joined this company, except the other offer that I got was too good to pass up.

Interview Question – They asked in-depth questions on Vertica database, which would be difficult for some candidates.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The competing offer from another company was too sweet.

Worked for Turbine? Contribute to the Community!