Turn

Updated Oct 11, 2014
Updated Oct 11, 2014

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Turn.

Applied online and got an email from HR. Had a phone interview with one of their engineer. Question was easy but I wasnt prepared so I couldnt get an offer.

Sales Interview

Following a lengthy recruitment cycle from sales management, there were seven in-person interviews, with multiple departments across several regions. The people I interviewed with were all very intelligent and eventually sold me on taking the position. The process ended with a final interview over the phone with the CEO.

Front End Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Turn.

applied through job score and got mail from site manager for 1:1 interview.started explaining about the company and went on to technical interview.questions were easy at beginning about algorithms and went on to difficult level where I gave up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Turn.

The interview process is ok but I still see room for improvement.

Before the interview, the recruiter sent me a document about the interview process. It states clearly they don't ask brain teaser. However, one of the interviewers started with "let's begin with a brain teaser". This interviewer needs to learn more about the process.

I didn't even mention in my resume about database experience. One of the significant reasons I was rejected is that I don't have database experience. The hiring team needs to review my resume carefully before inviting me for on-site interview. Otherwise it will be a waste of time for both.

Anyway, they can make decision very fast.

Interview Questions
    • Here is the brain teaser question:
      Given integers as 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., N. Every time you remove an alternative element until only one is left. If you reach the end, just do a rounding. Return the remaining element. For example, given 1,2,3,4,5,6, you remove 1, 3, 5 and then 2, 6. So the remaining element is 4. What is the remaining element if N is 2000?
        View Answers (5)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Turn.

I applied online through the campus job board, and had two technical phone interviews and one on-site interview. The office has a nice location in the downtown area, and I liked the open atmosphere within the building. The interviewing process was quite intense. They even squeezed in a technical question during the lunch period. On a positive note, the interviewers had a lot to say about the company, which gave a better idea of what it would be like to work there. I was told near the end of the day at the office that they were still unsure of whether to move forward with my application. I appreciated the quick feedback, disappointing as it was. They then had a recruiter come out and criticize me about my attitude during the interview. She told me I was being flat and inexpressive, then criticized me further for not being more expressive in response to her criticism. I suppose at this point they didn't care to keep me interested in the company anymore.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was during lunch. I was asked a technical question literally mid-bite and asked to write the solution on the white board.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Turn in February 2014.

The hiring process is smooth and fast. I took two rounds of phone interviews, and then was invited for an onsite interview. I met with 5 people there, four of them focused on technical questions, the SVP just poped up to say HI to me. After that, the recruiter came to discuss the offer with me. I felt comfortable, and enjoyed speaking with everyone. The interviewers are quite smart and open-minded. Sometimes, I provided answers which were different from theirs, but they were totally OK with it. Actually, they also taught me something during the interview. That's really impressive.

The recruiting team is the best I've ever seen. They are quite professional and considerate. They are always trying to help candidates, and make them happy. After I accepted the offer, they even mailed me a gift to celebrate with my family. That's so sweet!

I strongly recommend Turn, for it's culture(people), business model, and technology.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a wide range of questions related with web development, both front end and back end. It's better to have some hands-on experiences.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, but they gave me an offer exceeding my expectation.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Turn.

Two phone interviews, one with HR, then one with Director. After phone interviews, interviewed in person with 4 people at the office. Gave a presentation during the in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were fairly straight forward, what do you know about the industry, about the company, how would you react to this, that ect.. The presentation is an old case study, it's were you can shine and show how well you will work.   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation, Turn tries to offer you the best package they can.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Turn in January 2014.

I got to know Turn at the university's job fair. After having a great talk with one of their engineers, I learned that Turn is a pre-IPO company and they are hiring people to help build huge-scale distributed system. So I decided to drop my resume and have a try. On the Friday of that week, I got an on-campus interview. The questions are interesting but really hard. However, the interviewer is nice and gave a lot of hints to help me solve the problem. After that, I got two phone interviews requiring online coding in a Google doc. Nothing too difficult. Then followed by an onsite interview. I really enjoyed the whole experience in the onsite interview. The recruiter called me one day before the interview to give me some tips which helped me a lot during the interview. During the interview, all interviewer are very nice. They asked fair questions and gave you enough time to attack the questions. There are 5 round technical interviews in total. They provided the lunch, which is also great! You will probably got the decision by the end of the day, which is super fast!

Overall, Turn is a fast-growing company and I will recommend people to have a try.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to difficult except the first on-campus round. Questions are related to basic data structure, graph, dynamic programming, design and etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

A phone interview and failed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Turn.

After a phone interview, I was asked to schedule an on-site interview with their director of engineer and senior software engineer. After the interview, I was told that I would be hearing back from them in a 2-3 days. Unfortunately, Turn is one of those companies that just leaves their candidates hanging and not tell them that they're not interested anymore.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. Merge 2 sorted arrays, merge them into 1 sorted array. What are cookies, sessions, etc.   Answer Question