Turner Broadcasting

2.9

Dsr Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in May 2013.

Once passing the media math exam I was asked to come in for an interview with CNN for an available DSR position. I met with 2 younger aged executives - one male one female. They seemed very ill prepared for the interview. They asked me to tell them a bit about myself and then asked if I had any questions for them. In my questions for them, I flat out asked if they wanted to know anything else about me and they said no. It didn't seem like they had previously viewed my resume before meeting, and it was very early in the morning and they seemed very tired and overall uninterested. After the interview, I was escorted out by the male interviewer. He was heading to a different floor while I was heading to the lobby. When the door opened, he walked right out without acknowledging me or saying goodbye as I was preparing for another handshake and thank you. It was very awkward.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in May 2013.

Applied online. For a phone call from a recruiter at Turner after about a month. She asked a few basic questions regarding my experience and emailed me back with a request for phone interview with the manager. The phone interview went well, recruiter called back in 2 days requesting for an in-person interview with a 6-person group. The interview panel was great, they were very respectful and asked questions relevant to the position and my experience. They did not ask me syntax and coding questions like I was a rookie. After meeting with the team, I also met with the hiring manager (that I had the phone interview with) and the director, all of which went pretty well. Overall, I felt very good about all the interviews.
    I was hoping to hear back from them with a status/feedback. I called the recruiter after 5 business days and for a feedback she said that the team very much enjoyed meeting with me but that she did not have any other update at that point. After that I have not heard back from the recruiter, its been more than 3 weeks now. I am not entirely sure what to make of this especially after a good interview. I am not expecting a call after all these days, but I wish they were professional enough to provide me some kind of a feedback after 4 rounds of interview.

Business Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Turner Broadcasting in April 2013.

Several phone interviews and in-person interview. During the in-person interview I was asked the same questions that I had answered over the phone. Hiring manager and director showed up in jeans and hiring manager had on a sweatshirt -- so very unprofessional. Couldn't wait to leave the interview and didn't want to work there -- a waste of gas and parking fees.

Interview Questions
    • tell about a time you made a business decision you regret (my answer should have been: showing up to this interview)   Answer Question

unprofessional at in-person interview.

Sales Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Turner Broadcasting.

Very short phone interview. Recruiter was late calling. Usual questions and felt really good about my answers. Said that we would "be in touch". Never called. I attempted to call the recruiter and left a message to please call back regarding where they were in the hiring process. Still did not get a call back. Only realized I did not get the position because I saw that the online position listing was gone. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • What would your past supervisor say about you?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Turner Broadcasting.

This was a fairly easy interview. Make sure to speak well and know about the station you are applying to.

Interview Questions
    They gave me an offer and I accepted. Interns can't negotiate.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Turner Broadcasting.

I had met the hiring manager about a year before my desired position was posted. I was given a heads up to keep my eyes open for something, and also that once the position was posted, they couldn't talk to me any more. After I applied for the position, I was asked to submit a case study on whether or not the company should launch online games, and if so, should they be built in house, or out sourced, and why, in two pages or less. After submitting the case study, I was invited in for a day of interviews where I met with an HR representative, two SVP executives, the CTO and a peer. A few weeks later I was made an offer. End-to-end from the time the position was posted till I started working was probably three months.

Interview Questions
    Several of us in the newly formed group were underwhelmed with the level of support and information coming from the HR representative, and felt that the information we were given was misleading. Had I to do it again, I would want to negotiate directly with the hiring manager and get things in writing.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Turner Broadcasting in February 2013.

Very very technical interview, from language specifics to problem solving.
    Asked the "1 mile south, 1mile west, 1 mile north question"
    Asked the "5 people max in bathroom question"
    Asked to pseudo-code Factorial method.

Interview Questions
    • Asked where on planet can you go 1mi South, 1mi West and 1mi North and end up at same point.   Answer Question

Got a better offer elsewhere

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Turner Broadcasting.

I submitted my resume and created a profile on the Time Warner website. Then I emailed the production manager/intern coordinator to follow up on the position. I got a phone interview during which they asked me what shows I watched, what I wanted to get out of the internship, and what my availability would be. Pretty standard I guess. Then I was invited in for an in-person interview. They rehashed the phone interview questions and discussed what my job duties would be. Then we just talked about animated shows and a local heavy metal band. That was about it. It really just seemed like they wanted to see if I was cool enough to work there, which I guess I was because they hired me.

Encoding Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Turner Broadcasting in June 2012.

I was contacted by the recruiter, who asked some questions on my employment background. She determined I was qualified and informed me someone will be contacting me to schedule a phone interview w/the Hiring Manager.

Interview 1 (phone) - 30 min phone interview. Went well, established a good rapport.

Interview 2 (in-person) - Cancelled because the hiring manager called into work. Re-scheduled for 2 weeks later because the Hiring Manager was scheduled to go on vacation. When I finally met her in person, she met with me 15 mins after my scheduled time. She didn't remember anything about me, so I had to go over EVERYTHING we went over at the last interview. I also met with her Director, which was fine. He was very professional.

Interview 3 (in-person w/VP) - Contacted 2 weeks after interview 2, to be scheduled for another 2 weeks. I was contacted the day before interview 3 to change the time, no big deal. The VP was awesome. The Hiring Manager was in the room as well, but was playing with her phone the entire time. At the end of the interview the VP informed me that they were pushing the Hiring Manager to hurry and make a decision because the process was going longer than they wanted. They both assured me I would know their decision in 2 weeks or less.

2.5 weeks later, I still hadn't heard. I emailed the Manager and she never returned my email, so I decided to call her. When I spoke to her she seemed surprised that I called her and told me I'll find out in 2 more weeks. The next day I was contacted by HR letting me know that 3 people already accepted offers for the jobs they were hiring for.

I'm a former Turner employee and have never dealt with a process that was so disorganized and unprofessional. It was very obvious how inexperienced the hiring manager was.

Billing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Turner Broadcasting in June 2012.

Very interesting concepts and strategies used by hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you faced a challenge at work?   Answer Question
    • What is your best learning style and how will it effect your work?   Answer Question