Turner Broadcasting Interview Questions & Reviews

108 interviews

2.9

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in April 2012.

My first interview was a phone screen with one of the recruiters. They focused on determining whether I met the basic requirements of the job. I then had a phone interview with the VP. He was very personable and wanted to find out more about my skills. We had an in person interview shortly thereafter, and it went very well - but it came down to me and one other candidate who simply had stronger qualifications. I was told that the interviewer would gladly be a reference for me for another position at the company. All-in-all, a good experience despite not getting the offer.

Producer/Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in March 2010.

Straight-forward. Through networking, met hiring manager. Established rapport and showed interest in and knowledge of the company. Followed with thank you letter the next day...this is always memorable.
    Always know the company; show you've given thought to their products/direction. Tie that knowledge to the experience you offer.

Interview Questions
    I countered once; my fee was accepted.

Digital Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in March 2012.

I was initially contacted by HR via email notifying me that my credentials matched for two possible job openings at Turner, but I had to take a basic math test before I could advance to an interview. Although math is not my strength (and I scrambled a bit at the end when I found out we only had ten minutes left), I got a call about four days later letting me know I passed. While on the phone with HR, they gave me a brief screening asking basic questions such as, why would I be interested in the DSR position, do I like sports (Sports Illustrated is a main focus of the job), how does my previous professional endeavors relate, etc. I was then told that I was officially submitted for the position and if the department supervisor felt that I was a fit for an interview, I would get a call. Sure enough, later that day I received an email from the supervisor requesting an interview that week. I went in at the end of the week and met with the Digital Services Supervisor and they asked me questions regarding my work experience. I was asked where I see myself in five years, and how i thought I would fit into the organization based on my previous experiences. The interview lasted about an hour and I was told that they would be in touch. Later that same day I received an email from the other supervisor requesting a phone interview with that supervisor and their manager the following day. They called me the next day and we chatted for about 20 minutes, asking questions about my experience, why would I thrive in digital services and a curveball--what was my favorite movie. At the end of the conversation I was told that they would have a decision within 7-10 days as there was an immediate need to fill the position. The next week on Monday I received an email from the supervisor requesting that I come in and meet with the Director and possibly another supervisor or manager. I went in that Wednesday and met with the Director, Trafficking supervisor and Sales Manager. Each asked questions about my abilities to fulfill the position, why was I interested in Turner, what was my familiarity with Turner and their product, and how my experience would allow me to excel. Luckily I had prepared myself thoroughly and knew the job description well, so I was able to successfully relate my experience to what the position would require of me. I was told that all the people I met with would get together to discuss my interviews and I would know soon due to the desire to fill the position quickly. Later that evening, I received a call from the supervisor officially offering me the position and I accepted. They said I would require a background check to verify my previous employment and as soon as that cleared, I could begin. Although the questions required creativity and preparedness, every single person I met with was very friendly and only strengthened my interest in pursuing a career at Turner. Very positive experience overall (and I actually turned down another job offer at CBS to work at Turner as well).

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in February 2012.

The atmosphere of the company was good. Everyone was warm and welcoming. I first was introduced to the senior financial analyst who briefly gave me an overview of the company and then I was interviewed by the person I would be working directly under. There were a lot of behavior questions and questions about your knowledge of the company.

Graphics, CNN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in January 2012.

Very surprising. I submitted a resume through an inside contact, then received a call from a recruiter who asked only 3 questions. None of them were related to my skills, and the call lasted less than 15 minutes:

1) How long did you work for Turner? (I'm a former employee.)
    2) What year did you graduate from college? (shocking)
    3) What's your salary goal? (we agreed my goal was within their range)

Then she said, "Well, the hiring manager is going to re-write the position description. If you still qualify, you'll be contacted." I never heard anything further. So disappointing!

Executive Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in January 2012.

Initially contacted by a recruited from Turner. She was very nice and very helpful; I was able to ask as many questions as I needed. Towards the end of the week, a different recruiter emailed me to schedule the date for the interviews. I had in-person interviews with an HR Generalist, then one VP, then another VP. That same afternoon, I got a phone call from the initial Turner Recruiter, giving me good news. I was then able to ask even more questions: salary? travel? hours?, etc. The process seemed effortless - as though all I had to do was show up. Very nice!

Interview Questions
    • How can you help me to get organized and not miss appointments?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in five years? (Pretty typical question...)   Answer Question
    No negotiation room, I didn't think.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in May 2010.

I had a phone interview with an HR person from Turner and scheduled an interview. On my interview day, I interviewed with the a couple of managers and then met the client and had a few interviews with them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about 3 difficult situations you encountered with a client and how did you over come them?   View Answer
    No need, since they offered 10K more than I was making

Vice President Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in November 2010.

Great company! Strong leadership and a corporate vision. Committed to diversity - walks the walk, doesn't just talk the talk. A bit wedded to the core business of linear television, but making efforts in digital and mobile. there are some old TV "fossils" employed that should probably move on.
    Relationships are very important at Turner. Who you know will make a difference. Networking will be critical to getting an interview and will remain critical to your success as an employee. Unless you're applying to a junior position, just applying online is unlikely to get a response. Get a referral from someone who matters in the industry or ideally within the company.

Interview Questions
    • Turner is a producer and distributor of content, usually video content, across linear, digital and mobile platforms. Turner is part of the Time Warner media empire. Any candidate for a senior role should understand Turner's place in the media ecosystem as well as the technical and market dynamics involved in the migration to great digitization of content.   Answer Question
    Brief, fair and to the point. A refreshing lack of games being played. I felt like I got to a good result. Figure out the levers that matter within the group you're targeting and work those levers. Perhaps they can be ore flexible with bonus but less with salary. Executive levels will generally be under an employment contract.

Account Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in February 2010.

Interning there really helped - gained some ground with employee referral.

You do have to take a mediocre math aptitude test - percentages and simple formulaic expressions.

Interview was with 2 direct account supervisors - questions were geared towards background and skills that you could bring to the department. You may also meet with some of the Account Executives on the sale side. Those interviews are not really difficult, but, some curve balls can be thrown at you. For example, an AE may say 'you don't have the personality to do this sort of work.' That is a total test to see if you balk or just simply agree with them - stand your ground and be confident as to why you can benefit the organization - sales takes guts and confidence most times.

Customer Service is a key aspect, so, expect that "if you were faced with a difficult customer/client, how would go about solving issue x, y, or z,"question.

Otherwise, the interview process was not that difficult.

Booking and Copy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Turner Broadcasting in July 2011.

I got a phone interview with HR, and the lady was very nice and casual. She reviewed my resume and provided me details via phone. By the end of the convo, we set up a time for a one on one interview at CNN. Once there, it got a little intimidating. The supervisor did all those typical questions to try to get you. She tested me with the most ridiculous questions, such as "How many people can you fit in a tent that's 10x10x10ft?" Not expecting that. It just adds more stress, because she kept on throwing curveballs. I didn't get the offer. However, I was interviewed at CNN again about a month or two later and the supervisor was very laid back. She openly stated she wasn't going to play games with me--just get to know me better. So it varies.

Interview Questions
    • How many people can you fit in a tent that is 10x10x10 ft?   View Answer