Turner Construction Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.9

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Turner Construction (Toledo, OH) in November 2011.

Interview

I worked for Turner for 6 months as a co-op. As full time interviews approached I entered my name into the hat. I was allowed to advance past the first round interview (which should be relatively simple) because of my prior experience with the company. The interview process took place over two days. The first day I met with some of the project managers and other candidates for a business-casual dinner to break the ice. The next day we were interviewed by three panels. Panel one consisted of three people, and they focused on my resume, prior experience and time with the company. Panel two (four people) asked a lot of situational questions relating to ethics (a big deal with Turner, and anywhere for that matter), conflict resolution, etc. This was probably the most challenging part of the process. Preparing for these types of questions will help you rank higher in the interview process. Next i met with a senior manager and we discussed my style, goals, type of personality, etc. He was really trying to figure out who I was. Next i met with the HR rep to discuss benefits. The last part was easy. As I came to understand, the panels get together and rank their favorite candidates. The candidates are then force ranked and there is some deliberation as to who the offers go to. The area HR manager also has some say, as he had sat in on all of the interviews in the business unit. Again, this is all heresay. They basically award the offers from the top down until they've filled all of the positions. Alas, I did not receive an offer. I was told I was ranked very high, but not quite high enough. It is a little bit frustrating that Turner does not put higher priority on "hiring from within" their co-op program, but it was known from the start that a co-op does not guarantee a job. Regardless, I had a good experience and would gladly go back to work given the chance.

Interview Questions

• Name one situation that you made an ethically responsible choice. This does not have to be work-related.   Answer Question
    • Tell us how you would diffuse an argument between two people.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Turner Construction in July 2010.

Interview

Employee referral contact set up meeting with General Manager, we had interview going over my resume, job history, clients, roles, challenges. Went to lunch, then met with other members of the office leadership or department managers. People all very professional, personable, approachable, clearly enjoyed working there and doing what they were doing with others around them.

Interview Questions

• What are some specific examples of things you did that showed you went above and beyond what a customer would expect?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Turner Construction (Miami, FL) in April 2012.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 3 interviews back to back, approximately 45 mins each one with an architect, engineer and human resources person with the company. They followed a script but want you to stand out by not only answering the question but also expanding with an example that will keep the flow of the conversation going. I would say the best way to prepare for an interview is by studying the company, projects that you can relate to and also become familiar with the types of questions they might ask you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not really negotiate since I have had zero experience in this field and was interested more in experience than money.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Turner Construction (Atlanta, GA) in January 2008.

Interview

Attended a Job fair at a campus with construction management and engineering programs. Submitted resume to attendant and requested an interview. 2 and 1 interview at the campus career center with two employees with approximately 5-8 years of experience, more casual and low key with questions about experience and extra curriculars. Then chosen for an interview at the local office for an all day adventure with 1 on 1 interviews with 4 to 7 people of varying experience levels and years. then a paid lunch and a visit to a local project site in the afternoon. Call with an offer by the next week,

Interview Questions

• Question regarding how to fix different construciton problems. Questions on previous experience. Questions on future career path.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can negogiate a starting salary but not by much. you can negogiate any relocation or moving charges up to a certain amount.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Turner Construction (Buffalo, NY).

Interview

At first I got my interview on campus with Turner representative. Questions were mostly based on how you deal with certain situations at work. Also, how would you resolve conflict at the construction site and I got questions on ethic and your response.

Interview Questions

Can you describe a situation where there was a conflict amongst a group that you tried to resolve?
      What do you like most about working in construction

Answer Question

Bim Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Turner Construction (Dallas, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

Round 1 - phone interview
    Round 2 - interviewed with multiple management staff all 1:1,

Assistant Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Turner Construction (Austin, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

The process included conversations with multiple figures within the company. The first was a face to face conversation with an HR representative that visited our campus during an employment expo. The representative took a hard copy of my resume and contacted me a few months later with an invitation to speak with a superintendent employed with the company which also happened at my campus. The interview materialized into an offer for an internship. During the internship, I met with numerous other figures including site employees and office leads.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me to relay the most challenging issue I'd encountered during my time managing projects. Attempting to collect the issue into the concise points requested was somewhat difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not attracted to the first offer and responded saying that I would wait approximately 6 mo to review my other opportunities. The company resent the offer with a slight increase in pay and a different position.

Civil Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Turner Construction (Boston, MA).

Interview

College Career Fair. I went and talked to recruiters. I explained them why I was interested in Turner Construction and what I can bring to the table. They scheduled me for a second interview with a regional manager. The guy was not cooperative at all.

Assistant Engineer Interview

Interview

On campus Interview after I applied online to the position. I waited for around a month to be contacted and I know for a fact that there is a second interview after you pass the first one so you need to wait for their call. Second interview is longer and more complicated.

Interview Questions

• When is the time you solved a Problem between subcontractors.
      A lot of questions long interview

1 Answer

Engineering Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Turner Construction (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

apply through campus career website and then got a phone call one month later. Then I went to the NYC office, which looks great. There were 6 candidates and 5 interviewers. Each candidate meets with every interviewer individually in a row. it lasted 3 hours. They asked behavior questions, background questions, and let you ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• which situation you perform better, working in team or working alone?
      do you ever encountered with conflicts between group project, and how did you react?

Answer Question