Turner Construction

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.9

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Turner Construction.

Submitted my resume in person via my universities career fair. Was contacted via email about 2 weeks later for an interview. First interview was with two younger employees and was very structured. They asked questions out of a packet and wrote down my responses. I was emailed a few days later for a final interview. This interview was with higher ranking, older, employees and was much less structured. It was more of a conversation where relevant questions were asked as the conversation carried on Naturally. He first interview was more based on situations you have previously encountered specifically. The second was more personality and work ethic based.

Interview Questions
    • First Interview: Name a time where you began a task with good intentions, and the situation went horribly wrong. What were the results? How did you handle it?

Second Interview: In ten years from now what do you think you will attribute your success to, such as particular traits or morals.
        Answer Question
    Intern- Non-negotiable

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Turner Construction.

Started off by meeting the employees of Turner at the career fair and hit it off well, they told me to come to the on campus info session and also to sign up for the on campus interview. Did both and just received a call back for the second round at their office.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Turner Construction in October 2014.

Started with an on campus interview. Some what laid back with a few simple questions about my resume. Got invited to second round interview about a week later. Second round consisted of a dinner with Turner employees and about 10 other candidates. The next morning we all interviewed with about 6 people in the office. The office interviews are very laid back. Their main goal is to see if you are personable and that you would get along with everyone else at the company. Express your interest and be personable and you will do fine. Received an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Explain an unethical situation you had to deal with and how did you come to a solution   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Met at a career expo. Hit it off with recruiter. Received a follow up interview the next week. Interview wasn't intense, and asked all of the typical questions, but was slightly formal in comparison to other companies. I honestly expected an offer the way he was talking, but received nothing, while I know others who did receive offers.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Turner Construction.

Very structured interview, split into resume review and behavioral question. Answers to questions were written down as I answered them. Recruiter seemed rather emotionless which gave the entire interview a rather uncomfortable feel. Picked two items from my resume and asked me to tell me about them, with minimal follow up questions. During the behavioral sections the recruiter said to answer the questions with as much detail as possible, and that he will be looking for specific answers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you had to convince someone of your work and capabilities, and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Turner Construction.

Applied through college career fair, and took them months to make decisions, but yet they wouldn't tell you if you were declined - you have to find out yourself. And it took them 5 months to get me my reimbursement to interview back (it was 600+ dollars) after I kept bugging the HR. Don't like this company.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Turner Construction.

College career fair - phone interview - in person interview - offer. Straight forward process and they will keep in contact through email and phone. If you do well on phone interview they will invite you to in person interview

None

Project Manager Interview

Two separate interviews. First interview was with two project executives and the office vice president. Real easy and relaxed interview style. The project executives were asking behavioral questions. Second interview with human resource manager and another vice president and one project executive.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Turner Construction in July 2014.

Interview was obained via an internal employee recommendation. Met with two HR associates and the direct report in the Marketing dept. Discussed job responsibilities and expectations of the position. They asked me to go through details on a recent project I worked on for my previous employer. I felt the interview was very much two sided as I asked many questions to help me determine if the position would be a good fit for both parties. The conversation was fluid and candid and I felt resulted in a very good interview. I followed up with three separate thank you letters to the individuals I met with. Never heard back from the company and heard through the grapevine the position has been filled.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question is always salary expectation. Having been employed with my previous employer for over 20 years and also in a higher paying industry, my salary was on the higher end for an executive assistant. I answered "while salary is important, it is not the most important thing for me. I am more interested in the total package of a company. I would prefer to fit into your company's pay structure." This allows me the opportunity to not provide an actual $ amount which could help get me to the next round. Unfortunately, sometimes they will follow up with, "what did you make at your last job?" Once I give the number, I'm always told the position doesn't pay anywhere near that amount. If I'm interviewing for a position in a different industry I then counter with, "I realize having worked in the financial industry, the salaries are somewhat higher and all I would ask is that I be paid a marketable salary comparable to a person with my experience within your industry.
      The most unexpected question I was asked was, "what made my writing skills excellent?" That threw me and I'm still not sure if my response was adequate but I responded with, "In these times with communication being conducted mainly via e-mail, I have had to hone my writing skills in order to be effective in my job. The fact that my boss consistently asks me to respond to correspondence on his behalf indicates to me that my writing skills are up to par with his expectations. I personally think they are excellent but realize that is subjective.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Turner Construction in April 2011.

I applied online. The HR rep called me in for an interview. Lunch, Round Robin interview with 3 managers and site visit. Interviewed with the HR manager and two project managers

Interview Questions
    • Field engineer is an entry level position. No difficult questions were asked.   Answer Question