Turner Construction

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.9

Engineer Interview

After going through the initial screening interview, I was brought into the office for the second interview. I was told I would be reimbursed for gas (I was not) and after going through the entire interview, I was told there would not be an opening for another 6 months, but they would hold onto my resume in case there is an opening that I would fit in. However, the interviewers were friendly.

Interview Questions
    • At the end of the interview, I was asked "What are your best qualities that we have not covered yet?"   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Turner Construction in May 2013.

I submitted my resume for an advertised position approximately four months prior to being contacted for an interview. I had an initial telephone interview with Corporate HR, which led to a phone interview with an Executive in Seattle, WA. This led to a breakfast meeting / interview with the local Operations Manager. I then received an offer within one week.

Get as much as you can up-front prior to accepting. This is your last chance before falling into the typical company annual review, etc.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Turner Construction.

I went to an engineering convention where I got an interview on the spot. Three months later, the closest office to my location contacted me for an interview at their office. While there, I had a 1:1 interview with management then another 1:1 interview with an HR representative. It lasted about 1 hour. I had a response within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in construction/ for Turner?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation because it was an internship.

Entry Level Engineer (Civil Engineering/Construction) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Turner Construction.

I met Turner at a career fair on my university campus and talked with the recruiters at the booth. I had a very casual conversation about what I was looking for and asked more detailed questions about Turner. From their, the recruiter asked if I'd like an interview and I accepted. The next day, I had an on campus interview with the same two recruiters. These were very situationally based. If you were in this position or this conflict, what did you do etc. From there, I waited a few weeks and received a call to come into the Turner office for a second interview. It was a whole day interview with four, 45 minute interviews in the morning, each with one person. Then lunch mingling with all the employees. Then a visit to a project site. Overall, it was a very good experience regardless if I get the job or not, because it helped me get a better feel for the company.

Interview Questions
    • The toughest questions were about situations where conflict arose and how I handled it, especially in a team setting. And I had to be very detailed about the thought process etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source – interviewed at Turner Construction in March 2013.

I was part of a group of five other potential hires in the interview pool. The interviewers consisted of four Turner employees, each of whom interviewed each individual potential hire personally. The interviewers all came from different departments and positions: one was an HVAC engineer, one was a field engineer, one was an HR manager, one was a vice president.

Each interviewer asked you questions based on their own backgrounds and positions, and you could ask questions of your own based on the interviewer's background. Even though I didn't get the job, I did learn a good deal from some of the interviewers with the questions I asked. The vice president, who interviewed me last, even told me that I had a great interview based on the questions I asked. But I sort of knew that I probably wouldn't get the job because the other potential hires appeared more qualified than me.

Interview Questions
    • I had the most problems with the HR manager's questions, because I was more focused on asking construction/engineering-related questions than HR questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Met with Turner at a career fair held by NYU-Poly in Brooklyn, NY. Handed my resume and spoke with a Turner rep/recruiter for 3-5min. They asked pretty simple straight forward questions on background, experience and my interest to pursue a creer at Turner. About two weeks later I received an email from NYU liaison (career center) that I was offered an interview for Field Engineer position (not in their office rather on campus).

A day or two prior to the interview Turner held a information session at NYU-Poly and gave their spiel on Turner (its history & accomplishments) and how great it would be to be part of such a firm. Was nice, after all, they have done a lot. Many showed up (most were undergrads) but just a few had interviews, so the point was ....?

Interview:
    Supposed to be 30min but I was in there for 50. A lot of personal questions on background, hobbies, work experience, aspirations and goals (short term / long term). I thought it went well, some laughs and very approachable yet professional. Being that I had 5yrs field experience I was told that I was kinda "overqualified" for such position so I explained that it was at mom/pop company in NYC and I pursued a MS degree to bundle it together so I can transition into a larger firm and have a management position. I don't know if that got through though...

I have 2 friend that work their and are very happy. Two of my classmates, whom had interviews as well, received notifications one of which was an offer for a 2nd interview (she was the only grad student out of six and she got the job - best of luck CC!) and the other was a "sorry, take care". Bottom line for me was I never heard back for a yes or no.

Interview Questions
    • Imprecisely:
      Have you ever been in a position where you disagreed with your team's (or superior) decision for something or coarse of action? If yes, how did you deal with it/approach it? If not, how would you; what would you do?
        Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Turner Construction in February 2013.

I met my interviewer at a school career fair, so it was pretty helpful to have talked with him before. It was a more casual interview and he was very helpful, though I felt like he was talking more than I was. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever failed at something and how did you overcome it? (Something along those lines.)   View Answer

Field Engineer Interview

I was called in for an on campus interview about two weeks after first talking to a representative during a career fair. Nothing too out of the ordinary, gave the interviewer my resume and he went down the list and asked about my previous jobs as well as team projects I have worked on. However he claimed that he did not have a business card to hand out and that I ask the front desk for a contact which I found a bit ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions: Why Turner?, Why do you like construction? etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Turner Construction.

At first I got my interview on campus with Turner representative. Questions were mostly based on how you deal with certain situations at work. Also, how would you resolve conflict at the construction site and I got questions on ethic and your response.

Interview Questions
    • Name one situation that you made an ethically responsible choice. This does not have to be work-related
      Can you describe a situation where there was a conflict amongst a group that you tried to resolve?
      What do you like most about working in construction
        Answer Question

Assistant Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Turner Construction in October 2012.

Approached through a university job fair and was signed up to do interviews at the career center. Was allotted a half hour slot but my personal interview ran about 1 hr. Was asked primarily situational based questions. Eg. have you ever been in the middle of a conflict, how did you handle it? what would you do if you were asked to do something unethical, how would you handle that? etc.
    Ended the interview by being told I'd be contacted in late december, (the interview was in october, have not heard yet). Takes forever, i'll be graduated by then! Overall interview was fine. Interviewer was very personable and friendly. Wish i had more time to have a conversation and ask questions!

Interview Questions
    • I think the unethical questions was definitely hardest to answer. You know what the interviewer wants to hear, but how do you make it memorable?   Answer Question