Tutor.com

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Tutor.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – I took several tests. I found the Calculus one to be easier than Geometry. After you apply and pass tests, you will be trained a little bit, then begin.

Interview Question – The geometry test had problems about secant lines in circles that were difficult if you have not studied their formulas recently. Also, they expect calculus tutors to tutor calculus 2. Sometimes financial questions have passed through the filter, which can be difficult since finance is taught in different ways.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you want to move up, you need to work a lot.

Interviewed at Tutor.com

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward, no hard questions or anything. I was called to schedule an interview and then I had that, then a team of three interviewed me. The interview wasn't onsite, i guess they were internet company anyways.

Interview Question – Not any difficult question.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Tutor.com

Interview Details – You take a subject exam and then have to complete a mock interview. For physics, there are 50 questions and you must get an 84% to pass. The interview wasnt that bad. The guy plays the role of a student, and you must help without giving the answer. Make sure you dont use text speak.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Tutor.com in July 2010.

Interview Details – Online application; background check; credentials submitted; online testing x2

Interview Question – Online testing was a little nerve-wracking.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I have said all I need to say.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tutor.com in December 2013.

Interview Details – Resume and test

Negotiation Details – Very straightforward

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tutor.com in June 2013.

Interview Details – The Mock Session was like it said it would be. The Mentor was fine with the subject evaluation but as the session went on, I felt that he wanted to log off. Our session was scheduled late in the evening. The questions that I asked him I already knew but was looking for clarity and also to see if he knew or if anything changed. He basically lied to me. For example, the resources said that there will be a final exam. He said that only exam is the initial subject test. I wanted to know how to prepare. Another question was will there be a post survey after the mock session. He said no and immediately logged out with out us concluding formally. Sure enough, I had to submit a post Mock Session survey when he logged out. I got the feeling that he was in a rush, had another Mock Session scheduled or wanted to get ready for the next day as it was a national holiday and a long holiday weekend coming up.

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected question. I prepared as specified in the video resources.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Still in the negotiation process.....

Tutor

I applied online and interviewed at Tutor.com.

Interview Details – You fill out an online application, take tests in the subjects you want to tutor, provide a writing sample, and do a mock session. It is best to initially take exams for subjects you wouldn't mind having your mock session in. You can always add extra subjects later.

The mock session process was pretty simple. I requested a mock session and the mentor promptly accepted the session date. During the mock session, the mentor first gives you some prescripts about what is going to happen and other basic info. Then, she/he poses as a student and asks one question from a subject that you passed. After 20 minutes, the mentor tells you you can stop and goes over some more general information about tutoring.

Interview Question – The mentor uploaded the worst-written essay I have ever seen in my life. I tried to take the approach of explaining concepts and guiding rather than fixing the errors. However, the mentor made it extremely difficult, saying she didn't understand and taking a long time to make the proper corrections. We only got through the first couple sentences in the 20 minutes we had.
There is a sample mock session available on their site and another available if you do an internet search.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. You are an independent contractor subject to their terms of employment. Probationary tutors get $9 an hour when in session. It goes up based on which subjects you tutor if you get promoted.

Philadelphia, PA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Tutor.com in May 2011.

Interview Details – After you finished the test online, you will be contacted by tutor.com to set up a one-one interview. It was pretty easy and smooth. You just need to read some sample scripts to get some ideas about how to act and react in the classroom environment. That's it

Interview Question – Probability question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Tutor.com in July 2008.

Interview Details – Applied online and completed a few subject tests in areas I'd like to tutor. Was then put on a wait list, and one month later received an invitation to complete more steps in the process. You have to put in a lot of time to do the training, *then* you have a mock interview session--it's not an easy process, but if you make it to the mock session I can't imagine it being too difficult.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Tutor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tutor.com in February 2012.

Interview Details – Apply online. Take some aptitude tests for various subjects. If they need more tutors, you go through a background check and do a mock tutor session.

Interview Question – Mock tutor session: On a particular day, 500 people went to the circus. Adult tickets are $7.50 and children tickets are $5. If the total profit for the day was $2250, what how many adults and children attended the circus?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Tutor.com

Worked for Tutor.com? Contribute to the Community!