Twitter

Getting the Interview

204 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – I was referred by an employee. The first phone screen was a very positive experience. The interviewer was very friendly. He made me very comfortable.

Phone screen: Is tree a mirror of itself?

Sourcer Interview

Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – contacted by recruiter- called in- met with recruiter- met with hiring managers

Interview Question – what is your pet peeve?   Answer Question

Account Coordinator Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – After applying online, I was emailed by a recruiter and asked to complete a series of questions, mostly about Twitter and online advertising. After this, I had my first interview, which lasted about 30 minutes over the phone. About 10 days later I was informed that they were interested in having a follow up interview, also over the phone for about 30 minutes. Within the following week, I was called by the recruiter and invited to an on-site interview, which took place over the course of 2 hours and was conducted by 4 different team members in 30 minute intervals. The office was modern and of course very exemplary of the tech culture. All the people were friendly and eager to make me feel at ease. I was informed of their decision about a week after the final round of interviews. In total, the process was about 6 weeks.

Interview Question – In what ways can Twitter attempt to address the challenges it currently faces with user growth?   View Answer

Media Partnerships Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Twitter in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a headhunter, who was super professional. Typically, he would ask me for 3 time slots and then a Twitter HR person would get back to me and confirm it. Sometimes, the process did not work so well and I was in limbo for 3 weeks because HR dropped the ball. But overall, it was smooth albeit a little long for a tech company. The only drawback of the whole process is that you do the interview via Skype exclusively. If the person has a funky username you are unable to connect with them until the last minute, which can lead to some anxiety (do they see me online?) etc. etc.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions but the entire process signaled that although the job description was meant for someone with not that much job experience, the expectations were super high. I felt that the fact that I did not work at a media company before was an excluding factor.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Twitter in January 2013.

Interview Details – Twitter really does prioritize employee referrals so on the one hand, you have a much better chance of landing an interview. On the other hand, in truth, you may not have been considered at all if you applied without a referral but you'll go through an obligatory process.

I was contacted by one of the head recruiters there. We had a 30 minute initial phone screening. She was so enthusiastic about the perks and benefits and very enthusiastic about my prospects for this job.

One week later, she scheduled a phone interview between myself and the hiring manager. That phone interview also took 30 minutes, no curveball questions. He asked thoughtful questions to suss my ability to do well in this role and I thought he was easy to talk to. He said he would send feedback to the recruiter and that I will hear from her.

All of this sounded great and promising at the time. However, HR really dragged the process out until it became a defeating ordeal. I followed up with the HR contact a total of five times over the course of three months. There was no response whatsoever over the three months. I finally received an automated email from Twitter informing me that they had filled the position. People deserve more respect than that. It's interactions (or I should say lack of communication) like these with HR that makes you look at the company in a much less favorable light. Even if they did not have any updates, a simple 1-2 line email to say "We are still reviewing candidates and we will follow up with once we have some news" would suffice. It's just common curtesy. People deserve some communication, especially if they've already moved through the first couple of steps in the interview process.

In the end, I realized that even with amazing perks and benefits, Twitter is not the end-all, be-all of dream jobs.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected in the phone interviews.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Twitter

Interview Details – First, a online coding test. Two small problems, very easy. Then, I got a campus interview first. One problem, finding k biggest number in a list, not difficult. Can use array, maximal heap, hadoop. After that, I got onsite interview. Two rounds, one about permutations, one about names, not very difficult.

Interview Question – Use what data structure to solve a problem about first names and last names.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Twitter in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and the recruiter contact me a week later. He told me the whole process would have 3 steps. The first is online coding challenge. The second is one round technical interview. The third is interview with the team.
The online coding challenge is easy. The first round technical interview is not difficult. However, I received a rejection after the first round interview. I guess the code must be bug free.

Interview Question – Design a class to implement a queue which supports pop from head, push from end and delete at any position of the queue.   View Answer

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – Process starts with a take home assignment which I felt was a bit too long. It involved building a Backbone application which due to its open requirements could easily suck up a lot of time for the applicant really concerned with the finer details. After coming in however the assignment wasn't even brought up or reviewed and was only discussed after my insistence that we go over it.

Overall I wasn't impressed with the types of questions. They seemed to focus more on knowing/studying the finer details of a language like JavaScript (pop quiz of random facts) vs the ability to produce results. I was told going in that they didn't like to ask questions like that but proceeded to anyway. I could tell early on that it wasn't a fit.

Interview Question – How would you build an email application?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Twitter in February 2014.

Interview Details – The initial phone call was a quick screening in which they determined which teams I would interview with and went over the basics of my background. It was pretty short and the interviewer gave me extremely valuable advice that helped with the rest of the interview process.

I had an online codility test which was fairly difficult but not much more difficult than the later questions.

This was followed up with only one more phone interview which was pretty easy for me. I don't remember the specifics but it was all I needed to advance to the on-campus interview.

They only paid for 1 night which made traveling across the country extremely difficult (red eye flights). They paid for $50/day of food which was nice considering the city cost and put me in a nice hotel. The office was gorgeous and every interviewer was friendly and on time. I was extremely impressed by their personalities and I loved the office. I couldn't tour much of the office but what I did see, I liked. The campus visit was less than 5 hours, probably only 4 including lunch. It was pretty informal, full of coding questions, theory questions, systems questions, and questions in which we mutually tried to solve problems. I had a great time at the office.

Interview Question – Questions about past projects that I haven't thought about in a while.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiating allowed.

User Services Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and heard back from them within 24 hours. I had my phone interview 2 days later and came into the office for the interview 2 weeks after that. Interviewed with 4 different members of the team.

Interview Question – Asked about my GPA though I had three years of work experience.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Twitter

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Twitter interview questions and advice. All 204 interview reviews posted anonymously by Twitter employees and interview candidates.