Twitter

238 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Twitter in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was introduced by a former employee and had a very long interview process. I had an online coding interview which was pretty easy. After that I had one coding and one data science interview. Then came the on-site interview which was two back-to-back data science/coding interviews on Skype. The process took so long (about 2 months since the first contact) that they told me that there are no positions left in Data Science team but they introduced me to Data Visualization team. I had 3 interviews with Data Visualization teams.
In overall, while the interview process was frustrating, all the interviews that I had was great source of learning. So many interesting people are working on Twitter and it'd be nice to get a chance to work along them.

Interview Question – I cannot disclose any question but the coding questions were quite common questions. The data science questions however was very challenging and of course interesting. They talked about some of the active projects that they are doing and asked me how I would solve some of the issues that they are facing right now. While the questions are open-ended (they are still trying to solve them themselves), you should be able to come with a reasonable solution and justify your answer. For the data visualization team, common questions are like "Suppose you want to visualize this scenario, what method would you use and why?". There were also some questions on basic of computer graphics which I was not very familiar with, but answered them anyway.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer came really late (around Mid-May for an internship starting on June!) and I already accepted another offer. The compensation was also lower than other big tech companies.

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – phone screen, then possible screen by hiring manager. Then onsite with a panel of 4-5. In some cases that is it, in others you may need to go back to do 2-3 more final rounds.

Interview Question – No real gotchas for the sales side   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – straightforward offer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Twitter in April 2014.

Interview Details – First took an online coding test. After I passed that, I had a phone screen about a week and a half later. I interviewed on-site about three weeks after the phone screen. The interviewers were great, the recruiter was great, and the questions were very reasonable.

The only negative aspect of the interview process was the delay time between the on-site and the offer. I received the offer about two weeks after the recruiter stated I would (through no fault of his own, however), despite disclosing that I had other offers on the table with deadlines. This really should have been handled more well, as it put me in a rather difficult position.

Interview Question – There weren't really any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The offer was beyond my expectations. Negotiating wouldn't have even been remotely reasonable.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – The company recruiters communicated very nicely through phone calls and emails to set up the phone interview and explained detailed interview process. After the interview set up, the actual phone interviews all have some sort of online white board to facilitate the coding questions. The interview time periods are generally set up for forty five minutes. The interaction during the phone interview would vary depending on the interview persons. The job descriptions or required skills area may not asked during the interview process.

Interview Question – The phone interview questions are very general and philosophical questions. It's very hard to respond with the right answers.   View Answer

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Twitter in July 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter after applying to arrange phone interview with hiring manager. Contacted about 1 month later by recruiter to arrange on-site interview. Met with 7 interviewers over 4-hour period in groups of 2 (aside from 1). Break in-between sessions to have lunch with group. Recruiter always responded to follow-up questions and inquiries post-interview. Nothing negative about overall experience.

Interview Question – Questions ranged from approaches to testing Twitter apps to offbeat questions testing troubleshooting skills.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

Interviewed at Twitter

Interview Details – Good communication with a re cru inter. Interesting de sign questions. Conversation s with employees we re pleasant and pro fession all. Gets very tiring at the end. Wish the format was a bit different. Great food in TH e cafeteria

Operations and Tools Domain Specialist Interview

Operations and Tools Domain Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Twitter in June 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview with the hiring manager. No small talk or talking about your resume, but more focused on why this positions, why Twitter and specific questions related to the function of the job.

Interview Question – How do you define abusive use and violation of privacy? What do you do if you find one?   Answer Question

Account Coordinator Interview

Account Coordinator
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – I made some connections on LinkedIn and spoke to them a few months before applying. I found the position open online and applied with a referral. I had two Skype interviews than a in person.

Interview Question – The position is entry level so the questions had more to do with my previous experience and personality   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Twitter in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for an AE position on their website and after 3 weeks received an email from an internal recruiter with some basic questions about my background, salary, location, etc after which I was invited to have a call with a senior recruiter. The call with the SR recruiter only lasted for 15 minutes and she was basically trying to understand how much I know about Twitter and if i would be a good fit. I am assuming I did well because she scheduled me for an onsite interview with the hiring manager and four other individuals. Due to many people's travel schedule; this onsite interview was scheduled two weeks out however two days before the interview I received a call from her basically canceling the interview due to "organizational changes". She mentioned that the position is still open but she didn't have any more information and was going to update me once she spoke to the VP of Sales. I followed up with her after a week with no response and since then I've accepted another position at a different company. I would rate the overall process 2.5 out of 5.

Interview Question – Why should brands use Twitter for advertising?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Twitter in January 2014.

Interview Details – Intro'd to a recruiter through an old friend. Did an intro call with recruiter, followed by another call with the hiring manager. Both perfectly nice folks, good conversations.

Was invited to, and attended, an on-site interview in the New York office. Spent a couple of hours there meeting with various folks from the Accounts group, though only for about 20-25mins each. Everyone was very polite and asked similar questions about my background, interests, why Twitter, etc. Some wanted details about my previous role and experience. Toward the end of the interview we got kicked out of the conference room by some other Tweeps and so we had to finish my interview in a hallway.

That day I sent thank you's to everyone I'd met, and expressed interest in continuing the process. The hiring manager wrote me back to thank me for my time as well, and told me he'd be in touch soon with next steps.

And that was it. I never heard from anyone at Twitter again after that exchange. I followed up a couple of times just for due diligence, but nobody ever responded. Again, everyone I met was courteous and genuine and seem passionate about making Twitter great. This is just a record of one persons' experience.

Interview Question – Nothing really. Boilerplate stuff.   Answer Question

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!