Twitter Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.2

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Interview

I was referred by an employee at Twitter for a product design position. I had a brief phone screening where I learned more about the role and they asked for information on my background. Afterwards, we setup a call for the interview. An emergency came up on my end, and while I was able to chat briefly for a couple of minutes with the interviewer, I asked them if we could reschedule. Since that point, the people at Twitter have completely dodged and ignored all of my emails and I can't get any information out of them. They are completely unresponsive. This has really disappointed me, and I won't be applying for Twitter again. Their HR team is completely scattered, and the applicants are the ones suffering.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Terrible experience. These guys serious look into your resume/background after you clear your technical phone screens. I had two technical rounds (phone and 1 round face-to-face) during which I was asked 2-3 coding questions (algorithms/problem solving). My solutions were good, and the interviewers acknowledged it. But, to my surprise I get a reject saying my background was not a fit for the positions. Why would you waste the candidate's time if you think he was not a fit for the role.

Interview Questions

• 1. Check if the expression is valid (simple valid parenthesis problem) 2. Generate valid permutations of expressions based on the count of parenthesis pair 3. Check if two strings are One Edit distance away.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied through an internal referral. Got a 30 minute phone interview with a product director for one group. Got an email back a little over a week later from the recruiter saying they want me to talk to a different product director for a few different groups for a 30 min phone interview. A little over a week later got an email saying they wanted me to come in for an on-site to interview for a PM role within one of the last director's groups. Once I got to on-site I learned that it was actually for a different group, but still under same director. Seemed to be a little confusion over that. On-site was about 4 hours long and I think I met with 8 people total (some were shadows). Overall process was very fun. Everyone was very nice and I felt comfortable. Definitely get there early for the on-site because it takes a while to get checked in and I had to park my bike, etc. After that I went back for the final round to do a final presentation (google slides) on a prompt they gave me to a room full of the same people that I met with during the on-site. It seemed like it went well, but ended up not getting an offer. Found out through an email unfortunately because my recruiter was on vacation. Really enjoyed the process though.

Interview Questions

• If Twitter were to get into payments, how should they do it? How many logins are there in a day into Gmail? How would you make the perception of the airline industry better across America? Problem solving through a fake accounts flow. How does Facebook oauth work?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial phone screen with Recruiter, where we did a deep dive into my experience. Also talked about the role in more detail and what the team was looking for. Once i completed the initial phone screen, it followed by In-Person interview. I met with a mix of members from the Recruiting team and the team I would be supporting. Once the in-person interview was completed, feedback was sent to recruiting from the team.

Interview Questions

• Successes that I have had in previous roles. What was I most challenged in my past roles? What am I looking for in this role? Why I would like to work at Twitter   Answer Question

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

2 phone screens (with hypotheticals), followed by 4.5 hours of interviews with 8 employees. Each interview lasted 30 minutes and was composed of answering numerous hypotheticals. Interviewers were pleasant, though each would continue to twist hypotheticals into very challenging situations. After the first few hours, it was pretty exhausting. They do not give you any breaks and most would just start right off with hypotheticals. It might be easier if Twitter just set up a room, brought in a bunch of people and gave you an all day essay exam. I have interviewed at other top tech companies, and their interviews focused much more on experience and character. If they treat you like this as an candidate, I can't even image what it would be like to work there.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Twitter? What value would you bring to Twitter? Why do you want this role at Twitter?   Answer Question

Director of Sales Learning Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied and was contacted by the recruiter pretty quickly. After the initial screening I interviewed with the hiring manager and passed that. I was then brought to their corporate office and Interviewed with 7 people in one day, it was exhausting. Even though I drove a fairly long distance, Twitter doesn't pay for parking and even though my interview spanned over lunch, I was not offered anything other than water. The experience with the interviewers was mostly cordial, but they asked me questions primarily about their business, with very little emphasis on my experience. One of my final interviewers actually got a little hostile with me and accused me of inflating my resume titles (manager, director etc.) I had no idea how to respond to those questions but maybe that was the plan to see how I reacted to that type of interaction. Overall a pretty strange experience.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is wrong with Twitter?   Answer Question
    • I don't like your titles on your resume, why do you think you're a good fit for this role?   Answer Question

Design Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Multiple phone/hangout interviews, with internal recruiters and hiring manager, called in for group interview plus full day of 1:1s. Some interviewers seemed a little hostile, like they didn't want to be part of the interview panel, or had already made up their mind before we talked. Other interviews went very well. In the end I received strange feedback, that seemed inaccurate, and was told I was being passed on due to the panel's inability to get unanimous agreement. Internal recruiter although nice, gave instruction that might have contributed to me not bringing in the kinds of work the team was looking for. Although the position was described as primarily UX the team was looking for more of a visual design manager.

Product Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very quick by the recruiter to set up a phone call interview -2 days after submission. Great generic call, selling Twitter etc. Next step was to speak to hiring manager. Recruiter did not give me the hiring manager's last name, title or any other detail about the role other than posted on the company's job listing. A week later spoke to the hiring manager. Hiring manager introduced by the first name and quickly rushed into knowing my background without any pleasantries. My initial thoughts were perhaps there is a lot to cover. Tail end of the interview I was given 2.5 mins to "ask any questions" and when i asked more about specifics about the role was told that this is privileged information and would be provided should I be accepted at Twitter. I've had better interview exchanges at stiffed educational institutions than here. Culture is a critical ingredient for a successful team of any size. Needless to say, I'm aborting the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Product marketing requires creative thinking, how did you think differently that stood out in your past roles?   Answer Question

Business Insights Manager/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter. That was fine. Next was video web cast with hiring manager. Interview was fine but expect a project (which is fine) tailored to the position and/or a sample of recent work that can be sent externally. HOWEVER, I sent an example of work and NEVER even got an email to say thank for the work you put together or any form of response, despite 3 emails to the hiring manager and 2 to the recruiter. My experience is that Twitter has got a bit ahead of themselves.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of major mistake you made in the work environment? How did you rectify this mistake   Answer Question

Brand Strategy Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Reached out to by Recruiter. 30 minute call with Hiring Manager who was very brief, frank, and straight forward to the point. Tried to have a flowing conversation with them whenever asking a question, but they just answered the question in one sentence and went silent. When asking about why they are passionate about the job, their response was very frank and not inspiring. Working for a company like Twitter you would expect that all their employees have a strong and experienced background and it didn't see the case with this person. They were very uninspiring and after the 30 minute call and asking all my questions to try to get a better grasp on the role and department, I was very un-interested in the position. Surprisingly got another 30 minute call with someone who was in a lower level position and they seemed more passionate about the company and their role. I gained much more insight in the position from this person who didn't even work directly in this department that I interviewed for. Was rejected that position later that day, even though I felt more confident in my second interview than my first. Overall, glad I didn't get the position, didn't seem as though it was my fit.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Twitter? How did you hear about this role? Why do you want to work in this department? Tell me about your experience and what you currently do. Do you have any experience in Keynote? Do you have experience in Photoshop? (Even though the role didn't mention anything about requiring experience in Photoshop)   Answer Question