Twitter

Relevance Date Difficulty

Oracle P2P Consultant Interview

Oracle P2P Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Twitter in March 2014.

Interview Details – Oracle technical manager asked me a question and was busy doing some thing else while I was answering. He cut me midway during my interview and said he was busy and rescheduled the interview for next day. I never received a call after that.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. This was the only question asked before the Oracle technical hiring manager decided he had other things to do.I understand if there was an emergency situation but it has been over a month since I heard back. No one from Twitter bothered to call me and reschedule.So much for a BIG name company   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – One of the more excessive interviews I've had with a tech company. I went through 4 phone interviews and two onsites before it was all done. The second onsite visit was one of the worst interviews I've ever been through. 6 people for 30 minutes apiece, and they all asked nearly identical sets of questions, with maybe one or two variables each. By the end of the interview, I felt like I had developed a script through repetition. I definitely expected better from Twitter, and was not impressed.

Interview Question – Nothing really stood out here, pretty 'run of the mill'.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager II Interview

Technical Program Manager II
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – very professional and curtious; working w a recruiter from there, they give you as many details as possible to help you.
Had 2 interviews on the 2 phone + 2 interviews on site.
Everyone was nice ; it just makes me wonder why i didnt get the job..
They seem pretty casual but seem to work a lot.

Interview Question – give us a presentation about a past project you had.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Twitter in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online via the website. I was contacted promptly for a HR phone screen. This screen included basic personality tests. I then had two technical phone screens, both of which included collaborative coding, probability questions and algorithmic problems. I was invited onsite for the final set of interviews. I met with five data scientist and one data manager. All of them asked whiteboard coding / ML theory / algorithms questions. I received little information regarding the work life at Twitter.

Interview Question – Find the median of a large dataset   Answer Question

Ops Interview

Ops
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Twitter in May 2014.

Interview Details – Three phone interviews. Each about 30min. Applied online and heard back a few days later. Phone interviews went well. No strange questions. Not sure why the process ended. They must have had more qualified applicants or the requirements changed. One was on a speakerphone so that was difficult. Why companies do this is a mystery. You need the clearest line for important calls, but some companies don't get this for some reason.

Interview Question – The questions asked were expected. Just poor call quality for one of them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Software Engineer New Grad
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Twitter in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and the next day I got an email from a recruiter asking me for some more info and for me to do an online coding quiz. After I completed the quiz, the recruiter got back to me immediately and set up a phone interview very shortly afterward. The phone interviewer was really nice and was very helpful with answering questions. He had a couple fairly standard coding questions for me to do and that was about it. The phone interviewer gave me his email address to ask him any more questions that I had, which I did, and he got back to me with a very lengthy answer by the end of the day, which was really nice.

A few days later, the recruiter contacted me again and we set up a date for me to fly down for in-person interviews. At the Twoffice, I had 4 interviews - 3 with engineers and one with a manager. All of them involved coding though one was more general design and the one with the manager had some less technical questions. Most, if not all, asked some fairly open ended questions about previous experience. After the interviews, they gave me a quick tour of the office and that was it.

About a week later, I got a call from a recruiter who basically (but not explicitly) told me I was going to get an offer and wanted to set up some placement interviews with some managers of teams I could join. After doing that, I told the recruiter which team I liked the best and later that day (or maybe the next day) I got an official offer.

Interview Question – Most questions were fairly standard. Probably the hardest (to come up with a good answer quickly) were the less technical ones with the manager. These were mostly along the lines of "what would you change about product X?", "What do you want out of a manager?", etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had heard that Twitter does not negotiate much, if at all, and I didn't try to. The original offer was already very good.

Very Difficult Interview

UI Engineer Interview

UI Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – The interview process at Twitter is broken for Frontend engineers, as are many San Francisco employers seeking front end engineers.

I applied via their website and figured Twitter, a product I use daily and often would be a great company for an experienced frontend engineer to seek employment. I was contacted the next day by a recruiter there and things seemed to be going in a fantastic manner and I was extremely optimistic.

The recruiter informed me that there would be a phone-screen interview first, and we would use collabedit to work on a challenge, and that it would be fun. I was excited and started prepping myself for you're typical front end challenges, from building a carousel, to laying out a design.

Once on the call the engineer was extremely friendly and nice, however the challenge was not relevant to anything regarding frontend application development. The question was challenging, and a complete curve-ball from what I was prepped for. "Build a word ladder between two different words."

I was not prepped for such a question, and a question which had no relevancy to the position applied for, thus failed.

Interview Question – Create an application which displays a word ladder between two strings.

createWordLadder('cat', 'dog') // returns array of words in-between two strings and displays them.
  Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Twitter in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was referred in by a friend of a friend. A recruiter contacted me very quickly to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was really great, probably the best experience I've had. Recruiter was super friendly and gave me a LOT of information about the company, specifically about their perks and benefits which was nice. She didn't give me a chance to ask questions but it wasn't really needed since she was so informative. After over a week I had to follow up myself to find out next steps which was a bit annoying. She then assured me that the hiring manager was very interested and wanted to skip a phone interview and bring me right on-site. Awesome! Though my interview ended up first being scheduled 2 weeks away and then being RE-SCHEDULED for another week. The whole process was so extremely slow but luckily they were the only company i was entertaining at the moment so I didn't mind. If you have other offers in the mix with Twitter, it might not be such a great experience for you because I've heard from many people you have to constantly bug them to find basic timeframe information. The on-site interview was a bit exhausting since I was there about 5 hours and talked to six people. They were all pretty nice though some seemed like they wanted to be off doing other things. One interviewer particularly gave some pretty intense questions in a rapid-fire sort of way. Typical for big name start-ups I guess. I was taken to lunch at the end of the interview and felt it went extremely well. After having to attempt to contact SEVERAL people over a time span of two weeks (with no response), I was finally called by the recruiter to tell me I didn't get the job. Disappointing, but mostly just because I felt extremely out-of-the-loop during the process. Twitter's recruiting department really needs to step up! I didn't even get an idea of what to expect timeframe-wise at any point during the process which is just rude, really. Twitter is not the only company in the world - and I kind of got that pretentious vibe from them.

Interview Questions

Account Associate Interview

Account Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – Went to a job fair and met some of the recruiters. They liked me and brought me in for an onsite interview where I met with 3 people. I met with each interviewer individually for 30 min. They were laidback, friendly, and made me feel comfortable. The whole process was very smooth. Unfortunately, they went with someone who had more experience.

Interview Question – What is the most controversial decision you have ever had to make?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Twitter in January 2013.

Interview Details – Twitter really does prioritize employee referrals so on the one hand, you have a much better chance of landing an interview. On the other hand, in truth, you may not have been considered at all if you applied without a referral but you'll go through an obligatory process.

I was contacted by one of the head recruiters there. We had a 30 minute initial phone screening. She was so enthusiastic about the perks and benefits and very enthusiastic about my prospects for this job.

One week later, she scheduled a phone interview between myself and the hiring manager. That phone interview also took 30 minutes, no curveball questions. He asked thoughtful questions to suss my ability to do well in this role and I thought he was easy to talk to. He said he would send feedback to the recruiter and that I will hear from her.

All of this sounded great and promising at the time. However, HR really dragged the process out until it became a defeating ordeal. I followed up with the HR contact a total of five times over the course of three months. There was no response whatsoever over the three months. I finally received an automated email from Twitter informing me that they had filled the position. People deserve more respect than that. It's interactions (or I should say lack of communication) like these with HR that makes you look at the company in a much less favorable light. Even if they did not have any updates, a simple 1-2 line email to say "We are still reviewing candidates and we will follow up with once we have some news" would suffice. It's just common curtesy. People deserve some communication, especially if they've already moved through the first couple of steps in the interview process.

In the end, I realized that even with amazing perks and benefits, Twitter is not the end-all, be-all of dream jobs.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected in the phone interviews.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Twitter

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!

Twitter – Why Work for Us?

Twitter helps you create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers. An information network Twitter is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest stories, ideas, opinions and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Twitter interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 101 interview reviews posted anonymously by Twitter employees and interview candidates.