Twitter Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume, got contacted by a recruiter and asked to take an online coding challenge. I submitted the coding challenge and am currently still waiting for a response, but overall I found that what they asked of me was very fair, especially as these internships are competitive.

Brand Strategy Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Reached out to by Recruiter. 30 minute call with Hiring Manager who was very brief, frank, and straight forward to the point. Tried to have a flowing conversation with them whenever asking a question, but they just answered the question in one sentence and went silent. When asking about why they are passionate about the job, their response was very frank and not inspiring. Working for a company like Twitter you would expect that all their employees have a strong and experienced background and it didn't see the case with this person. They were very uninspiring and after the 30 minute call and asking all my questions to try to get a better grasp on the role and department, I was very un-interested in the position. Surprisingly got another 30 minute call with someone who was in a lower level position and they seemed more passionate about the company and their role. I gained much more insight in the position from this person who didn't even work directly in this department that I interviewed for. Was rejected that position later that day, even though I felt more confident in my second interview than my first. Overall, glad I didn't get the position, didn't seem as though it was my fit.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Twitter? How did you hear about this role? Why do you want to work in this department? Tell me about your experience and what you currently do. Do you have any experience in Keynote? Do you have experience in Photoshop? (Even though the role didn't mention anything about requiring experience in Photoshop)   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was a telephonic interview, Very monotonous.

Interviewer was asking for pre-written standard questions without any further discussion. Looks like he was not interested from the start itself.

One week later, I got the standard email

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Two rounds of phone interview with standard questions. One of the interviewers was very inquisitive of my current projects at my current employer, to the extent that it made me uncomfortable. Besides that the rest of the interview was pretty standard. They also asked a few 'behavioral' type of questions.

Interview Questions

• What if you were told by the CEO of Instagram to design a 'trending photos' feature? How would you go about it?   Answer Question
    • A company that you really like and want to be a PM in makes you an offer -- but it's not a PM position. You have choice of being an eng, a data scientist, a marketing person, or a designer. Which one would you choose? Why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Firstly we did a online coding challenge. It won't take much time. After that I was informed to have phone interview for 45 minutes. The interviewer is an software engineer and I think he is really nice. We had some discussion about what I did before and proceed into the coding problem. It was not a really tough one, but somehow I didn't get the best solution. Hope I will be lucky next time.

Interview Questions

• Something about my experience and a problem about b Tree.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

For the onsite interview I had the questions outlined below. Nothing was particularly hard, but nothing was particularly defined either. My greatest qualm was the fact that (1) several of the interviewers seemed to have not prepped their questions (in one case the interviewer said "i haven't asked this in a while" and then proceeded how to frame it -- that's stuff that has to be done before the interview when i'm not there -- in another case, the interviewer said, "i like to talk about what i'm currently working on" which triggered me to think -- "then how do you benchmark me against the people you saw 3 months ago"), (2) one interviewer fielded a phonecall during an interview (epic?!), and (3) during my lunch chat, the person left me for 10 minutes, alone, to eat lunch, at twitter (ALONE).

Interview Questions

• Describe the lifecycle of a tweet?
      Infer a working alphabet from a set of words?
      Design and write a CSV parser.

Questions that were clearly made up on the spot / just related to current work life:
      How would you handle a text to tweet system?

Answer Question

Partner Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by their Talent Acquisitions team and we spoke on the phone for 15 min. This call was merely just to check the boxes and confirm that I was actually interested in the job opportunity.

Next step: phone call with Hiring Manager. She was traveling so the call didn't happen until 2wk later. I didn't have to answer "Tell me about yourself" questions because she had my resume at hand, but she did ask a couple behavioral example questions based on my resume so be prepared to talk about your work experience in detail.

Onsites: I didn't hear back for another 2 weeks, so I followed up with my Talent Acquisitions contact. He apologized for the delay (mgr traveling again) and I was invited in for onsite interviews. I had 6 interviews in 4 hours with no breaks, so bring a snack.

Following the Onsites, I waited 3 weeks without feedback so I followed up with the recruiter again. I was told that same day that they went with a different candidate. There's a clear communication gap between HR & hiring teams which is understandable at a bigger company - so be patient and proactive if there's radio silence and you haven't heard back.

Interview Questions

• General behavioral questions "Tell me about a time" - so prepare examples and share details, results, learnings. Include quantifiable results if any.

Each interviewer is focusing on a different quality and/or attribute. The behavioral questions per interviewer will fall into one of the attribute buckets.

Answer Question

Software Engineer - Entry Level Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Twitter (Berkeley, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I handed my resume at a campus event. The next day, I was contacted by a recruiter and asked to fill out some information about myself and my preferences, and asked to do an online coding challenge. I did well enough (not perfect) and moved on to a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard: the man asked me about some points on my resume, ran through a technical question (with some hints when necessary), and then allowed me to ask some questions. I didn't think I did terribly, but I guess not well enough. It was all fairly pleasant and standard. Not much out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Tree-related with optimization at scale in mind.   4 Answers

Exchange Analyst (Mopob) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, VC with team analyst, On-site interview with group.The recruiter took a long time getting back and it's an even longer process for them to keep you updated on the status. You would think that if you took an entire day to interview, they would have the courtesy to tell you whether or not you got the job within 2 weeks. They still have not responded back and the job is no longer posted on the site. TL;DR, communication timeline from recruiter needs to be improved. I was extremely turned off and was actually excited about the role.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think Twitter acquired Mopub? What is Mopub's value prop?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Twitter (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

First, I completed an online coding test. This was really simple and designed to weed out people who are unqualified to apply. Next, I had a phone interview and then an online collaborative coding interview. After this, I was notified that I would not receive an internship offer; this surprised me, as I had thought that I nailed the question. I may have been too late in the process (mid December) so apply early!

Interview Questions

• Show how to rank items in an array using linear space.   Answer Question