Twitter

Getting the Interview

68 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Twitter

Interview Details – First, a online coding test. Two small problems, very easy. Then, I got a campus interview first. One problem, finding k biggest number in a list, not difficult. Can use array, maximal heap, hadoop. After that, I got onsite interview. Two rounds, one about permutations, one about names, not very difficult.

Interview Question – Use what data structure to solve a problem about first names and last names.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Twitter in February 2014.

Interview Details – The initial phone call was a quick screening in which they determined which teams I would interview with and went over the basics of my background. It was pretty short and the interviewer gave me extremely valuable advice that helped with the rest of the interview process.

I had an online codility test which was fairly difficult but not much more difficult than the later questions.

This was followed up with only one more phone interview which was pretty easy for me. I don't remember the specifics but it was all I needed to advance to the on-campus interview.

They only paid for 1 night which made traveling across the country extremely difficult (red eye flights). They paid for $50/day of food which was nice considering the city cost and put me in a nice hotel. The office was gorgeous and every interviewer was friendly and on time. I was extremely impressed by their personalities and I loved the office. I couldn't tour much of the office but what I did see, I liked. The campus visit was less than 5 hours, probably only 4 including lunch. It was pretty informal, full of coding questions, theory questions, systems questions, and questions in which we mutually tried to solve problems. I had a great time at the office.

Interview Question – Questions about past projects that I haven't thought about in a while.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiating allowed.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Twitter in February 2014.

Interview Details – Did the online screening, then was scheduled for an on-campus interview. Was asked a series of facts and other odd questions including the following:

- (some other question I don't remember) That was a joke. Why is it funny?
- What do you need to turn lead into gold?
- Why do we need the theory of relativity?

I'm 100% serious, and not trolling.

Interview Question – No coding question was asked. Everything was unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Twitter

Interview Details – Applied through their website. Got a response after 2 weeks. The interview was conducted over the phone on a weekend. Nothing too special, just be confident and be yourself and you will do fine. There will be some technical questions, but most of the questions were behavioral. The interviewer was nice and professional.

Interview Question – Why is the Earth round?   View Answer

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Twitter in June 2013.

Interview Details – Had four technical phone screens (coding in a shared document) before on site interview. Recruiter did a good job of rushing me through the process because I had another offer. Everyone was very friendly.

Interview Question – Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. No trick questions. Know the runtime for any algorithm you may code in the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – I applied online and was later contacted to take an online coding assignment on codility. I recommend doing some of the training exercises on codility before hand just to get use to how it works. The questions weren't too difficult. Just be conscious of the restrictions it specifies (time and space complexities).

After that I was contacted to have a phone interview with an engineer. We talked about my past projects I worked on and we talked about some of the frameworks/technologies I used. Then we moved onto a coding question where I coded on collabedit. The question wasn't too difficult. After that I was allowed to ask some questions.

After that I was contacted to schedule a second phone interview, which went similarly. The coding question this time was easier but I forgot to make an optimization for space complexity that I should have (although this wasn't pointed out to me, just something I realized later on). I was then asked some follow up questions about turning the function I had written into part of an API, which I wasn't prepared for but think I did fine. I was then allowed to ask some questions.

Unfortunately I was told that I wouldn't be moving forward. I felt I did well on the interviews and suspect my background didn't appeal to any open positions they had. The recruiter was very polite and helpful. Overall I had a positive experience.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Similar to questions at other top tech companies.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Twitter

Interview Details – Get a codiltiy online test. Two questions: 1) Find the single number in a array, all other elements are paired. 2) Give a array A[k], define the set S{k} := { A[k], A[A[k]], A[A[A[k]]], ... }, write program to count the maximum size of Sks. I did poorly in the second one, and thus failed.

Interview Question – First code interview every, a little nervous. I should have passed if I was not that nervous. I overestimated the difficulty of the second problem, tried to come up with a dynamic programming solution, but it turns out not that complicated actually. A simple scan with a bit vector will solve the problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – Applied at the campus recruiting. The first phone call is from the team manager who explains to me what they are doing to see if it interests me. Then there are two phone technical phone interview. Questions are not particular difficult.

Interview Question – Determine if a binary search tree is valid or not.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Twitter.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through a contact. A recruiter contacted within a few days. She asked to take a coding test through codility. After the coding test they scheduled two phone interviews with their engineers. Questions were easy, but they were looking for error free code without overflow error or anything.

Interview Question – Questions were not difficult. Similar to the ones you find in career cup.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Twitter in January 2014.

Interview Details – I got an initial referral for Twitter through a friend, and ended up having two phone screens with them.

Both screens were a mix of an evaluation of background and communication abilities, and technical abilities. Both required me to have open a browser window and type code that was evaluated by the interviewer.

After each screen, I heard back from a recruiter at Twitter within a week (though the second time, I had to prod my contact there after not hearing back within 7 days)

Interview Question – The hardest question I was hit with was to write a function that takes an integer N and returns an NxN matrix with incrementing integers in a spiral, from outside in.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Twitter

Worked for Twitter? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Twitter Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 68 interview reviews posted anonymously by Twitter employees and interview candidates.