Two Sigma

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.3

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma.

Was contacted by a recruiter, who send a skills test. After that a phone interview with the company. Final stage was the interview in person which was very long (6-8 hrs).

Quantitative Research Analyst Interview

Skill test on coding and data analysis. All of your codes have to be run without errors. Data needed to be cleaned before the analysis, which took much more time than expected. Coding problem was straightforward. However, it is necessary to be familiar with languages you use before the test. Time limitation is important. So try to save time as much as possible, i.e. organize all the information that you can refer to before the test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma.

I was contacted by external recruiter. Then one phone screen with a recruiter from the company. Then coding test for 2 hours. Then another guy who is a software engineer contacted with me asked bunch of technical questions that are collected from internet. Nothing very original, probably all questions he asked were among top 50 interview questions. He was a nice guy. Then they invite me to onsite in Houston.

First interview was with a manager. General questions about my background. He asked some factual questions. Some of them were really stupid. I tried to answer all questions and I think my interpretations were good. I sometimes express that what he asks is not very meaningful because of xyz reason, he accepted etc.. Then he asked a coding question which was not hard. I solved it in less than 7-8 minutes I guess. You write code on a laptop. He look at the code and find a test case which fails the program. I suggest two ways to fix it and I fix it. Then he starts discussing which was is more efficient. I said express my idea. It was related with letters. I wrote the code in Java. He asked me, how can I efficiently convert uppercase letter to a lowercase letter. I answered using Java way of thinking. This guy was very interested in to the low level programming. He talks about a tricky way to do it. Actually before he mentioned, I gave an answer which was very similar to his answer. He did not like it for some reason. Then we talk about test cases. I gave two different answers. I tried to point out that I would test boundary conditions as well as regular conditions. I suggested an automated way to test the program that I wrote. He liked the idea. Then he tried to confuse me with an another idea which was actually identical. He said that details are very important for the company etc.. He even go into machine code level details of the implementation. It was a weird interview. I don't really like the guy. He was obsessed with stupid tricks. Even though, your answers are close to the tricks that he amazed with, he does not like to recognize that you know what he has in his mind. Weird guy, a type of guy which is impossible to make him happy.

Then another guy came, he asked some questions about my background previous work etc.. He seems like he was very interested in to what I did before. I recently finished my PhD, I talk about what I did for my dissertation etc.. He asked me to write a binary tree. I wrote it. Then he wanted me to test it by printing it. I wrote a method which had a slight problem, but I solved (he also give an idea while solving it). I tested the tree. Everything was working etc..

Two guys take me to lunch to a nice place. They told me that they won't give any feedback and I can ask any question that I want. I ask questions about the company and Houston. They seem like they were happy to work in Two Sigma and live in Houston. They tried to create an impression that very special people work in the company. They were nice guys.

We returned to the company. The secretary came and said that they did not feel that I am a good match. Then I left from the company. It was a bit surprising because I wrote the code for two programming questions without any problem. Second interviewer behaved so nice. I answered most of first interviewers questions, I discussed a little bit and persist correctness of my answers. Maybe he did not like me because I was not submissive lol :) .

Interview Questions
    • There was not very difficult questions, but there were meaningless questions. Some of them are created for interviews and some of them were reflection of weird obsessions of the first interviewer :). The most unexpected one was "what is Godel's incompleteness theorem?" from first interviewer. He was not normal :)   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma.

The interview process had four steps:
    (1) A brief phone interview with HR to see if background matched any openings
    (2) Online code challenge (2 hours to solve two coding questions)
    (3) A one-hour phone interview -- asked about my background then asked several CS 101 questions
    (4) An all-day onsite interview

The onsite interview questions were relatively easy and straight-forward, no trick questions. The focus was on solving simple questions quickly and flawlessly.

Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Two Sigma in November 2014.

Talked to recruiter at a career fair who recommended I apply. Waited 6 or 7 weeks with no response and then received an invitation to an onsite interview. The interview was a sequence of one hour interviews. I was told after lunch I was done. Nice accommodations for candidates although the hiring manager told me to expect a certain type of interview question that I was never asked. Seems like quality firm.

Systems Support Engineer Position Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma in October 2014.

I was referred by a friend who works there. The process was fairly quick but slightly messy. One person from HR scheduled the 1st interview with another HR person. Then that person had to scheduled another phone interview for the technical part. That's where it gets slightly messy, apparently they had to scramble for the second interviewer and contacted me after I emailed them for an update. The second interview was not so bad, he asked great questions. Unfortunately he had a rather thick accent and likes to mumble. I had to ask him quite a few times to repeat the questions.

To HR: Try not to scramble for interviewers at the last minute. Do not set up potential candidates with people that are fairly new and/or have a slightly difficult accent to understand.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how your browser gets the website, how does it know which website goes to which tab. Explain private and public ip. What do you do if your computer beeps, what does it mean.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma.

the whole process took about 4 weeks. My feeling is not to apply this company any more. The interviewees themselves are not very clear about their questions. They also are very arrogant ad pushy.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Two Sigma.

I applied in job fair. Got a phone interview. All behavior questions. Then got a test of 6 questions. The first question is SQL. Then some other Linux question and then data validation.

Interview Questions
    • Never get a feedback. They interview a lot of people to give out only one offer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma.

Response was really fast. It is relatively easy to pass the phone screening process and get on-site. But the onsite was very hard. Need to mention that HR was quite nice and the on-site arrangement is satisfactory.

Interview Questions
    • The technique challenge questions are not that difficult compared to other IT companies. But it requires clean, bug-free and timely coding. The on-site part could end up earlier than planned if you don't perform well.   Answer Question

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

External recruiter reached out for me in regards to the job. Interviewed with him, and one of the HR members on the team.