Two Sigma Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

3.4

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma (Houston, TX).

Interview

Resume drop at campus career fair, phone screen, a short take home writing exercise, and an on site interview day consisting of four interviews (technical, behavioral, all self contained and all pretty reasonable)

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone screen, coding test, as well as full day interview on-site that included meetings with HR, developers, and some managers. Each step and especially the in-person interviews seemed to go very well. Then there was a several week silence after which I was notified over email that I was declined with zero feedback of any kind provided.

Interview Questions

• You will definitely code something - starts simple and then gets more challenging. They will give you a simple algorithm to code and make sure you are covering corner cases.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Two Sigma in June 2015.

Interview

For the very first question, I misheard the phrase 'hash table' as 'test table', so I told the interviewer that I have never heard of 'test table'. Of course the interviewer was very surprised when I told him that I have never heard of 'hash table'. Fortunately, the misunderstanding got cleared out soon and the rest of the interview was ok.

Interview Questions

• Find the median in a stream of integers.   1 Answer

Quantitative Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen and then a 3 hour coding test, followed by another phone interview and an on-site interview. The initial phone screen was with one of their recruitment VPs. The coding test was pretty hard and I did it in Python. Then I had another phone interview with one of their quantitative analysts where we talked about ideas and then he asked 3 questions (1 probability, 1 statistics, 1 programming related). They invited me out for an in-person after this but I declined because I took another offer from another company.

Interview Questions

• Two questions for the coding test, one involving pure coding and the other involving some data analysis.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

Similar to what a lot of people have shared here, the process has four steps. The first step is a 30-minute phone chat with the HR. No technical questions were in the first round. The second step is a timed coding challenge hosted on HackerRank. I was asked to solve two problems using knowledge of data structures (trees, hash tables, etc.) The third step is an hour-long phone screen with one of the engineers. Some questions were about projects on my resume. These questions can sometimes go really deep into implementation details and reasons behind design decisions. The majority of questions emphasized on the theories and concepts from the CS undergrad core curriculum: data structure, algorithms, OS, networking, compilers, and software engineering. The fourth and last step is on-site. In the morning there were three technical interviews, each taking about fifty minutes. An engineer came in with me resume, from which he or she found some starter questions. After the resume questions, the interviewer started to ask coding questions. Depending on the interviewer, the questions, and how much time was left, the questions could be whiteboard coding only, or whiteboard coding plus peer-to-peer real coding on a computer. After three technical sessions, two engineers took me to lunch, which was explicitly stated to be not a part of the evaluation. I got to chat with them and ask a lot of questions. After returning from lunch, I met with a manager, who introduced his team and task to me. It was only about 20 minutes, since he was on a rush for a meeting. Then I met the HR whom I have been contacting throughout the recruiting process. The HR asked me some last questions, but nothing technical or behavioral.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

Four hours of people asking questions more relevant to a psychological study than a job interview. Clearly, the eight individuals I was questioned by were trying to see if I was the correct "cultural fit". However, the divergence of questions showed that these eight individuals were not on the same page as to what their company's culture actually was as I found contradictions in their answers to my questions. Unfortunately, this interview process was a waste of half of a day as the organization clearly did not understand what they were looking for. In other words, this was a fishing expedition that only cost me my time. In fact, nearly eight months later, I saw that they were still "looking" to fill this role.

Interview Questions

• What do you regret about your life? If you could do something over again, what would you do over?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

1st round hr interview 2nd online test 3rd phone interview major on os related high level questions 4th onsite interview For onsite are basically easy data structures and algorithm problem. One related to bug revise and another related to system design. Get to know bit manipulation and iterator would help a lot.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

im in the first round of interview process . 20 mins questions to see what you like and don't like. second round is 2hours coding questions, and the third one it behavior question. Then last one is on-site.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

There were two phone screens with Two Sigma. The first was a simply introduction with HR. The second phone screen was with a senior scientist at Two Sigma. It took about an hour and it was VERY DIFFICULT! She asked me to explain the projects in resume in very detailed implementation and then asked about 5~7 questions about data science. Each question needs a very detailed explanation with the reason using these approaches. I have to admit it was the hardest interview I have had and I did not do well.

Interview Questions

• Given a new dataset, how do you find it provides useful information or not?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Two Sigma in April 2015.

Interview

First round, HR screen to see if you're a good fit. Then a phone interview with the manager of the systems department. The interviewer did not know how to conduct an interview and was just awkward. They told me I would hear back very shortly. I found out I did not get the position, because someone else from the company contacted me on Linkedin a month later to ask if I was interested in the same position. The interview was mostly centered around network topology. Either the interviewer thought he was hiring a network engineer, or I was confused about the position, and I believe it is the first one. A support person does not need to be a network engineer to perform the tasks outlined in the job description. It was a basic onsite support position. You should keep your candidates more informed and not leave them hanging. Re-evaluate your interviewing practices. Very unprofessional!

Interview Questions

• Explain the OSI model in detail.   1 Answer