Two Sigma Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2014

3.3

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Two Sigma.

Had 3 phone conversations with their FP&A team. Most of them were more on the technical side. They asked me a lot about my last job and some of the skills I learned there. Each call was about 30 min, people were often very aggressive.

I was called in to meet with their team. What I thought would be an hour long interview ended up being 3 hours (a little heads up would have been nice). I met with everyone I talked with on the phone plus another member of their team and their hiring manager. Each interview lasted about one hour. They were very technical, never tried to get to know me. Everything from excel questions, quadratic equations, case studies to a typical day and how I would behave.

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Two Sigma.

Phone screen - no technical questions, mostly about background and previous experience

Code test - two questions in two hours (which have already been posted), potential 30 min extension

Onsite - $30/day for food, coach ticket, Soho Grand
    4 one-on-one interviews of ~1hr and a lunch break with two "interviewers"
    One or two brainteasers (one of which was very interesting), a systems design question, and several coding questions (two interviewers let me use the whiteboard, and the other two specifically asked for code to be written down on paper?!) and lunch was mostly fit questions (What are you looking for etc)
    Two interviewers were very nice and professional, another was ok, and the last was downright unpleasant.
    Never met recruiter, was shown out by receptionist.

Hearing back - After a week without any contact, I wrote the recruiter an email asking when I should expect an update. Received no reply to this email by around 4:30 the next day, so I called the recruiter (phone number was difficult to find, information only in 1 of many emails) and nobody picked up. However, I received my rejection email literally 5 minutes later. Very sketchy to have received a response so soon after my unsuccessful call, seems like they could have shared the news with me much, much sooner, or, at a minimum, replied to my email.

Systems Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Two Sigma.

Exceptional company, some of the most brilliant people work here.

It began with a phone interview, where I was asked my background . Then they sent over a "coding test" that had 2 programming questions required to be done in 2 hours, I didnot find them very difficult. It has been put up here before, I got the same questions too.

Then they invited me to new york, paid for the coach plane ticket, put me up in the soho grand hotel and reimbursed upto 30$ per meal. The in-person interview was exclusively hard algorithmic questions, specifically the two below.

Interview Questions
    • 1. You have two strings. A test string and a glob

Test string can have a & b, any number of times, any location.

Glob can have a, b, ? and *, any number of times, any location.

E.g.
      test= {a,b,a,a,a,a,b,b,b,b,b,b}
      glob = {a,?, *, b}

Now, ? means ANY character, single occurrence. So it's either a or b, one time
      * means ANY OR NO character, any number of occurrences.

E.g. the above glob and test actually match.

Problem is: write an algorithm to match glob with test. You MAY NOT use regular expressions :D

2. The input is any string of any length of any characters.

Write a program to generate ALL unique permutations of those characters. Unique.

You may not store in an array or list, due to memory constraints.

e.g. for input of abc
      your program should give 6 permutations
      but for aba
      your program should give 3.

Hint: make the list alphabetical.
        View Answers (2)

Programmer In Portfolios Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Two Sigma in April 2012.

Referred through a recruitment firm, was given a phone interview of basic resume/personal questions and then a timed code test. Code test and phone interview went very well. After this I was contacted for a second round phone interview, this focused more on description of role and how I would fit in, discussing past projects etc. Took about two weeks after this for them to tell me they didn't feel like this was the position I was looking for, I think the reality is they only want Java programmers and I prefer C++.

Interview Questions
    • Sort a list containing words and numbers, so that if a number was in a position in the initial list, then it is a number in the result and likewise for words.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Two Sigma in April 2012.

Overall, the experience was good. They gave me a gift bag when I arrived at the hotel. The interview process was long. I was interviewed for four hours in the morning, and then went to to lunch with two of their employees. In the afternoon, I met another two people and then it was finally over after talking to HR. But the confusing part is some interviewers are not professional, which made me really want to leave as soon as possible since I have got an offer from another place.
    Some of the interview problems are as follows:
    1. how to compress a prefix tree?
    2. roman to int and int to roman

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Two Sigma in February 2010.

Two phone interviews, followed by a code test, followed by 2 full days of very technical on-site 1:1 interviews.

I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Two Sigma in February 2012.

This is the longest interview process I have experienced. I took a phone interview with one HR, and followed up with a code test. After that, I didn't get any response for almost one month. Until I contacted them, I was told that my test was forgotten to evaluate.
    Three days later, I was told to have an on-site in-person interview. The interviews are easy and I got positive feedbacks from all interviewers. However, one week later I was rejected.
    Then coming to the longest reimbursement process I have experienced. I mailed them several times to ask about reimbursement but get NO response. It seems that I beg them to give me money which make me feel frustrated. And they fail to send me check twice. After about one month communication, I finally got the check. What is ridiculous, they discount about $30 without any explanation before hand.
    The whole process is really uncomfortable and disrespected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Two Sigma in February 2012.

Application facilitated by a recruiting firm. Initially screened by HR representative over the phone. The next step was a timed coding test: two simple problems sent via email. Acceptable programming languages were Java, C++, and C. Solution had to be emailed back within two hours. Feedback on code test came within two or three days, and I was invited to an on-site interview. I had one-on-one interviews with five different people and was taken to lunch by two others. Altogether, the interviews lasted 8.5 hours. The interviews were primarily technical in nature. I was asked on multiple occasions to write Java code on a provided laptop. Interview topics included features and syntax of Java and C++, data structures and algorithms, UNIX commands, databases, concurrency, software design. No brain teasers. Everybody that I interacted with was first class; there was no condescension, smugness, or rudeness of any kind. Everyone seemed extremely intelligent, highly competent, and laid-back. I received notice of their decision within a couple of days after the interview. I believe they are an outstanding company and will be highly successful for years to come. I was disappointed not to receive an offer.

Data Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Two Sigma in May 2010.

Lots of logic questions. And questions about what type of work you enjoy doing.

Quantitative Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Two Sigma in May 2011.

I had phone interview with HR on general questions, then had 2 hour code test. The code test was reasonable and easy to solve if you deal with C++/STL data processing/number crunching on a regular basis. I was called for an onsite interview, the focus was very heavy on basic core technical topics (say OS/data structures). I definitely felt my years of experience in the financial area wasn't even looked at or asked anything about. I started to get sense that position might entail lot of generic development and I mostly lost interest because I was looking for a next step up in the ladder.

Interview Questions
    • Data structure run times, hash table, linked list, etc   Answer Question