Two Sigma Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2014

3.4

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Two Sigma.

the whole process took about 4 weeks. My feeling is not to apply this company any more. The interviewees themselves are not very clear about their questions. They also are very arrogant ad pushy.

Other Interview Reviews for Two Sigma

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Two Sigma.

Response was really fast. It is relatively easy to pass the phone screening process and get on-site. But the onsite was very hard. Need to mention that HR was quite nice and the on-site arrangement is satisfactory.

Interview Questions
    • The technique challenge questions are not that difficult compared to other IT companies. But it requires clean, bug-free and timely coding. The on-site part could end up earlier than planned if you don't perform well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Two Sigma.

Submitted my resume at a career fair. Got email a month later. Had a code challenge and a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • questions on data structure, design pattern, floats and threads.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Two Sigma in November 2013.

Applied online, and HR contacted me and give me the link of the online code test.

Interview Questions
    • The code test, they give you 4 test case, which is regular format. But there is a button for additional 20 test case. They are hidden the content of test case. I always failed two of them. and didn't know why. So I cannot improve my code.   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Two Sigma in July 2013.

You will be given a code assessment, and have to finish it in 2 hrs. But you can choose the time you want to start, and email the solution back in 2hrs. The question is not difficult. And then you will have a phone screen, and you will be asked some question about the projects on the resume, and some technical questions. I was asked several questions about OS. The final round will be onsite interview, but I didn't perform well in the phone screen, so I don't have that chance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Two Sigma.

Got a mail from the recruiter who then set up a phone interview. It wasn't technical, just what I like and what I don't like. Why I'd like to work at TS?

Then there was this technical interview over phone. Where you had to solve couple of programming problems. If you have good experience with Data Structure and Algorithms, you should pass that round easily.

Then there was onsite round. It consisted of 5 interview. It was a bit different from other tech companies in the sense that each interview was 1hr30mins. In other tech companies, it's usually 45 mins per interview. They asked lots of technical and behavioral questions. You are given a laptop for coding and white board for discussion your ideas. The interview questions are similar to other giant tech companies, however they ask more mathematical questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Two Sigma.

The interview is very technical; studying the CLR algorithms book in advance is the best route to take before submitting your resume. There is typically a screening interview by HR just to find out if the candidate is a good fit attitude-wise, followed by a code test and then potentially two days of in-person interviews. HR will send a candidate home early in the day if the interviewers don't think the candidate is a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember a specific question, and even if I did; I don't necessarily think that posting it online is positive thing to do for the candidates or the company. As I mentioned above, studying the CLR book is the best route to success.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Had a code test followed by a ph interview and a full day of tech interview. Code test questions same as mentioned before - sorting strings and numbers in place, data center sync problem. phone interview was ok, just a chat about the past project and simple questions. Onsite questions were tricky and covered data structures, algos, string matching, tries etc.

Interview Questions
    • sorting strings and numbers in place, data center sync problem   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Two Sigma.

I initially applied through a headhunter. The process began with an HR interview, which mostly asked about my background and why I was interested in applying. The HR interview was followed by a timed coding test that, if I recall correctly, had a 2 hour time limit. The test can be taken in Java, C++, and another language that I'm not remembering; it wasn't particularly difficult, and I didn't need the two full hours to complete the two problems.

The next step was a full day of technical interviews. I met with seven or eight people from different teams over the course of the day, and all of the interviews were technical. I mostly solved problems by writing on paper, but later in the day I wrote code on a computer as well. The day ended with a meeting with HR, who outlined the offer process.

Next was a series of phone calls with different team members in order to help me make a choice between the two teams I was being considered for. Once I chose a team, the formal offer was extended.

Interview Questions
    • An interviewer asked me to intuitively walk through basic market concepts, ending with an intuitive definition of "beta," despite me having no finance background.   Answer Question

While Two Sigma was my favorite out of the offers I received, locational constraints prevented me from accepting the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Two Sigma in January 2013.

Get interview by a recruiter, first phone interview wish HR. Then a coding test for two question in 2 hours, follower by a tech engineering interview. No coding on that interview, just small question like what the difference of process and thread.

Interview Questions

Worked for Two Sigma? Contribute to the Community!