TxDOT Interview Questions in Austin, TX

2.0

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Transportation Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TxDOT in February 2014.

I received a call from a newly promoted engineering supervisor calling me in for a position for which I had applied earlier in the week. As I had just started with another employer, I arranged for an after-hours interview about a week later.

The formal interview was rote- written questions, and interviewer spent time furiously transcribing my verbal answers, instead of conversing and observing body language. I tried to ask some questions of my own, to try to get a feel for the work and the business processes, but that didn't go very far. We got through all of the questions from the employer side, but I was cut short when the interviewer got a call after we had been talking a little less than 1 hour. I didn't get a chance to see any of the current projects, learn anything about workload & backlog, and being after-hours, didn't meet any of the rest of the team.

I got a call the next day expressing interest (and a few more calls over the next couple of weeks while references were checked), and a verbal offer about 3-1/2 weeks after the interview. No written offer was given. I declined the offer (it was very low), and countered with a compromise amount between the lowball offer and my current salary. The counter-offer was declined and the original offer repeated, with a short time to "take-it-or-leave-it".

Interview Questions
    • N/A- the questions were all designed to probe level of experience/ expertise with job description requirements. Two of the six or seven questions were virtually identical in scope, only phrased differently.   Answer Question

Lowball offer, counter-offer which was well within advertised range was declined and lowball offer was repeated, unchanged, with a very short time to accept or decline (and no opportunity to learn more about the position or the work group).

In retrospect, I dodged a bullet when they declined my counter-offer. Based on behavior of the supervisor (and supposedly, his management), I would probably have been walking into a very unsatisfying workplace- and been taking a 10% pay cut for the privilege.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TxDOT in May 2013.

Meet representative at a job fair and applied online. First had a brief phone interview and then an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between financial and managerial accounting?   Answer Question

Data Modeler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TxDOT in August 2012.

Short hire meaning one interview. Phone interview, than in person interview. Interview lasted approximately one hour. Questions regarding data modeling only as what the job for. Interviewer not a modeler so way over her head - kinda like a deer in the headlights.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions or unexpected questions. Only technical questions asked.   Answer Question
    State employment, no interview negotation.

Engineering Tech I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at TxDOT in May 2012.

Just talked to the head engineer.

No negotiation