TxDOT

Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Modeler Interview

Data Modeler
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in August 2012.

Interview Details – Short hire meaning one interview. Phone interview, than in person interview. Interview lasted approximately one hour. Questions regarding data modeling only as what the job for. Interviewer not a modeler so way over her head - kinda like a deer in the headlights.

Interview Question – No difficult questions or unexpected questions. Only technical questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – State employment, no interview negotation.

Transportation Engineer III Interview

Transportation Engineer III
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in February 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call from a newly promoted engineering supervisor calling me in for a position for which I had applied earlier in the week. As I had just started with another employer, I arranged for an after-hours interview about a week later.

The formal interview was rote- written questions, and interviewer spent time furiously transcribing my verbal answers, instead of conversing and observing body language. I tried to ask some questions of my own, to try to get a feel for the work and the business processes, but that didn't go very far. We got through all of the questions from the employer side, but I was cut short when the interviewer got a call after we had been talking a little less than 1 hour. I didn't get a chance to see any of the current projects, learn anything about workload & backlog, and being after-hours, didn't meet any of the rest of the team.

I got a call the next day expressing interest (and a few more calls over the next couple of weeks while references were checked), and a verbal offer about 3-1/2 weeks after the interview. No written offer was given. I declined the offer (it was very low), and countered with a compromise amount between the lowball offer and my current salary. The counter-offer was declined and the original offer repeated, with a short time to "take-it-or-leave-it".

Interview Question – N/A- the questions were all designed to probe level of experience/ expertise with job description requirements. Two of the six or seven questions were virtually identical in scope, only phrased differently.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Lowball offer, counter-offer which was well within advertised range was declined and lowball offer was repeated, unchanged, with a very short time to accept or decline (and no opportunity to learn more about the position or the work group).

In retrospect, I dodged a bullet when they declined my counter-offer. Based on behavior of the supervisor (and supposedly, his management), I would probably have been walking into a very unsatisfying workplace- and been taking a 10% pay cut for the privilege.

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in May 2013.

Interview Details – Meet representative at a job fair and applied online. First had a brief phone interview and then an on-site interview.

Interview Question – What is the difference between financial and managerial accounting?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Tech I Interview

Engineering Tech I
Austin, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at TxDOT in May 2012.

Interview Details – Just talked to the head engineer.

Interview Question – No questions, just talked about the job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Worked for TxDOT? Contribute to the Community!