TxDOT

11 candidate interviews

Data Modeler Interview

Data Modeler
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in August 2012.

Interview Details – Short hire meaning one interview. Phone interview, than in person interview. Interview lasted approximately one hour. Questions regarding data modeling only as what the job for. Interviewer not a modeler so way over her head - kinda like a deer in the headlights.

Interview Question – No difficult questions or unexpected questions. Only technical questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – State employment, no interview negotation.

Summer Intern (Traffic Operations) Interview

Summer Intern (Traffic Operations)

Interviewed at TxDOT

Interview Details – - Very informal interview, was called in to the office to talk to who would be my supervisor
- Asked general questions about past work experience, knowledge of the field, etc.
- Was told they'd let me know within a week or two

Negotiation Details – The hourly wage for a summer intern was based off of hours completed. As a junior with almost senior credits, I was paid about $12.50

Transportation Engineer III Interview

Transportation Engineer III
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in February 2014.

Interview Details – I received a call from a newly promoted engineering supervisor calling me in for a position for which I had applied earlier in the week. As I had just started with another employer, I arranged for an after-hours interview about a week later.

The formal interview was rote- written questions, and interviewer spent time furiously transcribing my verbal answers, instead of conversing and observing body language. I tried to ask some questions of my own, to try to get a feel for the work and the business processes, but that didn't go very far. We got through all of the questions from the employer side, but I was cut short when the interviewer got a call after we had been talking a little less than 1 hour. I didn't get a chance to see any of the current projects, learn anything about workload & backlog, and being after-hours, didn't meet any of the rest of the team.

I got a call the next day expressing interest (and a few more calls over the next couple of weeks while references were checked), and a verbal offer about 3-1/2 weeks after the interview. No written offer was given. I declined the offer (it was very low), and countered with a compromise amount between the lowball offer and my current salary. The counter-offer was declined and the original offer repeated, with a short time to "take-it-or-leave-it".

Interview Question – N/A- the questions were all designed to probe level of experience/ expertise with job description requirements. Two of the six or seven questions were virtually identical in scope, only phrased differently.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Lowball offer, counter-offer which was well within advertised range was declined and lowball offer was repeated, unchanged, with a very short time to accept or decline (and no opportunity to learn more about the position or the work group).

In retrospect, I dodged a bullet when they declined my counter-offer. Based on behavior of the supervisor (and supposedly, his management), I would probably have been walking into a very unsatisfying workplace- and been taking a 10% pay cut for the privilege.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in May 2013.

Interview Details – Meet representative at a job fair and applied online. First had a brief phone interview and then an on-site interview.

Interview Question – What is the difference between financial and managerial accounting?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Welder Interview

Welder
El Paso, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in December 2009.

Interview Details – no high school diploma required,did application passed a welding exam passed a driving license background check went to several unnecessary interviews no high school diploma needed for this work passed probationary period

Interview Question – when will i continue my high school graduation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – told my boss i would finish my high school diploma later

Auditor Interview

Auditor
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at TxDOT in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position in June and was called in July for an interview. I meet with the supervisor and had the interview. 3 weeks past and I got a call informing me that they had made a decision on the candidate and they had decided on me. I was a happy camper. 2 weeks later I received my official paperwork and will start on Oct 1.

Interview Question – What is determined to be clear evidence by IIA standards?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary is already set by the state. Your offered will be based on your perceived skill level. I was offered the max for the position and I accepted. Once you are in the door and can prove your value the raise will come with the promotions.

Planner Interview

Planner

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at TxDOT.

Interview Details – Only those with inside connections get hired.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would handle a false accusation by a co-worker.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Baby steps.

Maintenance Tech Interview

Maintenance Tech
Gainesville, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TxDOT in March 2011.

Interview Details – took way to long

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – they wanted me to take a pay cut ( this is at the same I have been working at for 15 years)

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Tech I Interview

Engineering Tech I
Austin, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at TxDOT in May 2012.

Interview Details – Just talked to the head engineer.

Interview Question – No questions, just talked about the job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Engineering Tech I Summer Intern Interview

Engineering Tech I Summer Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at TxDOT in May 2009.

Interview Details – They called me in, asked me questions about my experience and how much math I knew. They said mostly basic algebra was necessary.

Interview Question – What was an experience you've had working in the field.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for TxDOT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TxDOT interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by TxDOT employees and interview candidates.