U.S. Bank

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Bank in August 2010.

I received a call from a store manager requesting an interview. Two weeks later i had an interview with the hiring store manager and her assistant. The questions were mostly situational questions, which is a dead giveaway that this person has no idea how to recognize talent by simply speaking with them, but must rely on scripted questions to get a sense of a candidate. The interview went extremely well, and they scheduled an interview with the district manager about a week later. When meeting with the dm, he occupied a building that was completely empty and was supposed to be used as the mortgage office. I spoke with him for about ten minutes and it went decent enough. He had concerns of my background with wells fargo and that previous hires from WF were product pushers and didnt fit into the us bank model. He then explained he came into banking from a retail background. This was a major concern for me.. Anyone who has ever worked for a financial leader like wells fargo or bank of america knows that NONE of their managers come from retail backgrounds. In my experience, managers with retail backgrounds have NO idea how to sell or manage in a finance environment. He then explained how at us bank they werent huge on making cold calls or working leads to acquire business, and that a big focus for them was to approach shoppers in the aisles and try to convince them to bank with us bank. During my 2 interview process it became clear to me that us bank is not even trying to compete with major banks. I have my investment licenses and asked if a brokerage referral needed to be made how that was handled, and they explained to me they had a man that worked out of encino (50 miles away) who came around a couple times a year. If you have any aspirations of working in a REAL banking environment where you're not just pushing checking accounts at the orders of a guy who used to manage a best buy, you can basically work at ANY other bank besides US Bank. It became clear that if working for them, it would be a joke to say that i work for a full service financial institution, because they are not. A week after not hearing anything from them i emailed the hiring manager telling her i had another offer i was going to take, and she emailed me back wishing me the best. I have over 5 years of banking with major financial institutions and a proven track record of being promoted several times by a leading competitor. It is almost impossible to find someone with a better resume willing to take the position and money they were offering. If US bank ever wants to become a legitimate finance power, they need to start offering full service banking and hire managers from within that can recognize talent.

Interview Questions
  • How comfortable are you with approaching people in the grocery store and striking up conversation?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for U.S. Bank

Senior Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kettering, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kettering, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at U.S. Bank in June 2010.

The district manager called me to schedule a 1 on 1 interview. They had not seen my resume and could not print it out, even though I had correctly added it to my usbank.com online profile. I interviewed very well, they seemed very interested in moving on with a second interview, even said I would hear from them in a couple days. Never heard back since....

Interview Questions
    • They asked for specific goals I reached for in my past jobs...hard to remember but I answered   View Answer