U.S. Cellular Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2014

3.1

Consumer Insights Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in November 2012.

I applied online and about 2-3 weeks later I received a request from HR to do a phone interview. The phone interview lasted 30 minutes and I was told they would set up a 2nd phone interview with me (and the hiring manager). A couple weeks later that phone interview was set up, however it was not with the actual hiring manager; it was with someone filling in for her. Unfortunately, HR told me this would be a technical interview so I came prepared to answer more technical questions ... when in reality, the interview itself was almost a direct repeat of the initial HR interview with very general questions only.

Unfortunately I was not outspoken enough to re-direct the interview back to the area I was told it would be and I was so stunned/floored about what I was being asked that the interview actually ended after 15-20 minutes had gone by. I was told a couple weeks later that they would not take me further and were going to keep interviewing other candidates.

Retail Wireless Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at U.S. Cellular.

The hiring process was fine. The application is extensive. It will take a couple hours to complete every stage of the application. One stage is a psych test, one is a value statement, and one part is a game where you recommend items to a customer. My initial impressions of the company were positive. However, there was a mix up when I was hired about which store I was going to be working at, due to a store closure when I was brought on.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are situational. "Tell me about a time when...." I didn't find any of these particularly difficult.   Answer Question
    If you have customer service experience, ask for as much as you can. I found out later that despite having much more experience in the cust service field, I was hired at a much lower rate than others.

Customer Service Coach Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in June 2009.

US Cellular uses performance based interviewing techniques.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make an important decision quickly and were unable to reach your superior.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular.

phone screen, online test, face to face

there was none

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in September 2012.

The interview process includes two parts. One is Technical section, and this section includes most of the technical questions that would gauge person on the abilities to perform the job. The other part is non-technical part and the interview includes 3 different managers. The interview has a specific format (STAR). Each manager interviews for an hour asking different behaviour related questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a situation that you disagreed with your manager, and how did you handle the situation.   Answer Question
    They are flexible, but have a fix number in mind.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular.

Very detailed, behavioral based interview process.

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in March 2011.

interview was pretty straightforward like your strengths and weaknesses

got a call the next day

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in July 2012.

There was a interview with the hiring manager that consisted of behavioral and performance based questions. Then I met with and interviewed the peer team. Beyond that I met with the hiring manager's leader for an informal meet and greet before being offered the position. All in all the process was throrough without being too exhausting. The peer and hiring leader leader meeting were billed as meet and greet, but we all know they are also interviews in their own right.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember the exact questions. Specific examples are a key and in most cases the interviewers would dig for more information when the answers were not sufficient.   Answer Question
    The offer was within my acceptable range and I accepted without negotiation.

Retail Wireless Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in January 2010.

You apply on-line, have an over the phone interview, do a face to face, background check, 2 month training

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to tell a specific story that relates to how it is related to the job.   Answer Question
    Always negotiate for more...it is the only time the ball is in your court...they want you..it never hurts to ask.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at U.S. Cellular.

The interview process was quick and simple, but they did not provide a realistic job preview. They told me what I wanted to hear...or what they wanted the job/company to be but wasn't. I didn't get to interview with the team members, which was a huge miss.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. People at U.S. Cellular assume that anyone from the outside knows more than they do, and it's usually true because they don't challenge their employees to be experts in their field.   Answer Question
    They would not negotiate on vacation time, but they increased the salary offer when asked.