U.S. Cellular Interview Questions

3.1

Retail Wireless Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greenville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, NC

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in April 2012.

I applied online, and got a call within 4 days. I went to the interview, got asked a few simple questions, and drug tested. Said they would contact me, but haven not heard anything.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in February 2012.

I received information on this position through a recruiter, phone interview was set up by the end of the next day. Very quick interview process compared to most companies (all in all 3 weeks from first contact to offer). Talent Acquisition contact was extremely pleasant to work with.

Interview Questions
    Non existent, I was offered what I expected / required.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in February 2012.

I had a phone screen with HR, a phone interview with the hiring manager, & an on-site interview for a Product Manager of Wireless Video Services. The hiring manager asked me to complete a case study on what wireless video services I would recommend that US Cellular offer. I was to include a marketing strategy and present my results to a panel in 3 weeks time. He actually mentioned to me that this was a good way to get ideas and to evaluate candidate skills for the position. I spent 3 weeks doing research after work and on weekends. I kinda knew I was being taken advantage of but didn't feel I had a choice if I wanted the position. I gave the presentation to 3 or 4 people at the site and they asked questions and took notes. Overall, I thought I did well but after the presentation the hiring manager told me that my ideas were too "narrow". Consequently I didn't get an offer.

I thought it was extremely unprofessional of US Cellular to get ideas from candidates on challenges / issues / problems they are working on. Then to turn me down because you didn't like my ideas??!!! Needless to say I did not have a positive interview experience at all.

Interview Questions
    • Marketing strategy case study that I spent 3 weeks working on   Answer Question

Credit Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in January 2012.

I applied online at their website with a simple submission of my resume and answering of a few basic questions. About one week later, I recieved a phone call from a recruiter. She scheduled a phone interview with me, which ended up lasting about 30 minutes, after which she scheduled a skills test with me at the location where I now work. After passing the skill test, I was given a group interview which was just three scenario questions, lasting about 20-25 minutes. I was contacted later that afternoon and notified that they wanted to proceed with the hiring process. From here, A background check was performed, which was outsourced to a third party (took a total of 10 days) and a drug test. I was notified I passed the drug test just a few days after and finally about 10 days later I was offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a situation when you had to adjust very quickly to a new environment or job tast that you were not familiar with   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in January 2012.

I applied via Indeed.com and they were very quick to respond to my application. I heard back from them within 2 weeks. It was a simple phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes. The interview consisted of behavioral questions. I was told the next round would be another in depth phone interview and if I passed that, the next one would be a site visit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation where you had to put yourself in someone else's shoes. Describe the situation and what you did to achieve the desired results.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to go beyond your line of duty. Describe the situation and explain what you did to ensure timely completion of your regular duties.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eureka, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eureka, KS

The process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in January 2012.

Sit down process

none

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Conway, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Conway, NH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in October 2011.

I first received a call from a recruiter that conducted an initial screening for the position. A subsequent interview with the recruiter was more in depth and included situational questions such as "Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an insubordinate employee..." Secondary parts to this question included: "How did you correct the solution?" "What steps did you take to follow up on the unsatisfactory behavior?". This interview was largely "scripted" and followed a series of questions that were outlined by corporate. The interviewers were "going through the motions"; however, given the scripted nature of the interview as well as the broad responses to my questions, I knew within an hour that the interviewers were not really interested in hiring me. I came into the interview with nearly twenty years experience in sales, technical support, and software engineering - ten of which included managing employees and/or volunteers. Yet, I felt that the panel had to "go through the motions" to satisfy a corporate mandate. The panel, in my opinion, had already chosen the candidate and wasted my time and theirs.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • How have you helped to improve an employee's poor job performance?   Answer Question

Retail Wireless Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Algonquin, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Algonquin, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in July 2011.

I was hired under the referral program and that supposedly is a quicker process. From referral and telephone interview (which was a very basic and standard 30-minute interview asking basic questions such as 'Why U.S. Cellular?' 'How did you hear about the position?' etc.) After I applied and did the phone interview (within a wk-two wk time frame), I was notified that a store manager would organize an interview with myself, as well as the sales manager. My sales manager was very good at keeping in contact with me during the process, even during his vacation. My store manager on the other hand, was very forgetful and she wasn't organized, so I feel like that's why the process took as long as it did. The interview structure was very long. I believe it took me nearly 2 hours. Some questions were pretty basic and standard... "why do you feel you fit this role?""Give an example of a time when..." But some of the questions were very oddly worded. I remember the first question really through me off.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot remember specifically which one it was, but it was the first question of the interview. IT WAS VERY ODD.   Answer Question

BE Weary of This Process It's Extremely LONG@ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3 months - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in June 2011.

I am all for company's promoting from within, but if that is your intent don't waste my time for three months. I had a phone interview in May, was told I would get a call back a week later. I didn't get a call back for over a month. How on earth this company thinks you can answer 11 behavioral questions in a hour is joke. I use to be a recruiter and hiring manager, these types of interviews area easily OVER a hour. US Cellular wasted my time and I would never apply to work for them again. Screen internal candidates before you waste the time of people outside the company. My time is precious and the entire process was drawn out and very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you handled a difficult situation at work.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Green Bay, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in June 2011.

online app
    phone screen / interview
    personality fit online survey
    interview based on results of personality fit
    back ground check
    drug screen

From what I have heard mgt position follow same format but add an all day role play assessment from a third party company

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you dealt with a difficult customer situation?   View Answer
    • Tell us about a time where you had many competing priorities?   View Answer