U.S. Cellular

Getting the Interview

20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

West Lebanon, NH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in July 2010.

Interview Details – The questions are mostly scripted, being specific and detailed is important. The interviewer asked for real life examples, that are applicable to the type of customer service and sales skills needed to be a successful sales rep for the company. Clear, direct language works well. Communication is an important asset in this job, being able to listen and express yourself well is key.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to communicate a difficult message?   Answer Question

Clinton, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular.

Interview Details – There were two over the phone interactions, the first is a get to know you type of interaction then if you are able to complete the computer assessment then they give a phone interview. If you then pass the phone interview you are passed onto the store and sales manager.

Interview Question – All of their questions are performance based questions and they like you to be very detailed. As an example, "tell me a time when you had to teach someone a new process in detail." Once you have answered the question they then ask you to expand even more.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't really have any sales experience so I wasn't able to negotiate, I just took what they offered.

Retail Wireless Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at U.S. Cellular.

Interview Details – The hiring process was fine. The application is extensive. It will take a couple hours to complete every stage of the application. One stage is a psych test, one is a value statement, and one part is a game where you recommend items to a customer. My initial impressions of the company were positive. However, there was a mix up when I was hired about which store I was going to be working at, due to a store closure when I was brought on.

Interview Question – All questions are situational. "Tell me about a time when...." I didn't find any of these particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you have customer service experience, ask for as much as you can. I found out later that despite having much more experience in the cust service field, I was hired at a much lower rate than others.

Retail Wireless Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in January 2010.

Interview Details – You apply on-line, have an over the phone interview, do a face to face, background check, 2 month training

Interview Question – They ask you to tell a specific story that relates to how it is related to the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Always negotiate for more...it is the only time the ball is in your court...they want you..it never hurts to ask.

Knoxville, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in June 2010.

Interview Details – There is a phone interview with a recruiter, and then a background check. There is also an online test where you're basically watching a cartoon and have to pick the best answers based on what is given. It MUST be done on a PC, and I didn't know anyone who didn't own a Mac, so I had to go to the library, which was strange. They need to verify your education as well (wanted my high school diploma, but I had no idea where it was, and my mother had just moved, so after a week of them insisting I gave them my high school diploma, I finally asked if they would take my college diploma, since I would obviously have to have graduated from high school to have a college diploma. She had to check with her manager and called me back the next day to say it would work, which seems silly to me). Then, there is a pretty informal interview at the store with the store and sales manager. Once you're through that, there is a drug test and then you're informed if you are hired or not.

Interview Question – Why do I want to work there?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Retail Wireless Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in September 2009.

Interview Details – Applied to position online and received an email communication to set up a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of a small number of questions where the interviewer scheduled an in person meeting with two store managers and I was required to take a personality test and fill out another questionnaire. An offer was made the day after the conclusion of the in person interview.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you sold something to a customer, what did you do to meet the needs of the customer?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular.

Interview Details – In preparation for the interview, individuals should research the company. Specifically, the individual should research the company's CEO, work environment, mission, values, and behaviors. The individual should be prepared to discuss ethics and the role it plays in the professional work environment. The individual should also be prepared to discuss how they handle difficult customer encounters, providing specific examples (i.e. There was a time when...). The individual should be equipped to answer the questions in SAR format (Situation, Action, Result).

Interview Question – The most difficult or unexpected questions that candidates encounter is one surrounding ethics. Example: What is your definition of ethics? Although this may be considered a simple question, it is one that often times requires thought to ensure that you do not stumble during the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was minimal. The offer that was extended to me initially was $10.50 per hour plus commission. However, it worked in my favor because my commission checks averaged between $5,000 & $7,000 monthly.

Algonquin, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was hired under the referral program and that supposedly is a quicker process. From referral and telephone interview (which was a very basic and standard 30-minute interview asking basic questions such as 'Why U.S. Cellular?' 'How did you hear about the position?' etc.) After I applied and did the phone interview (within a wk-two wk time frame), I was notified that a store manager would organize an interview with myself, as well as the sales manager. My sales manager was very good at keeping in contact with me during the process, even during his vacation. My store manager on the other hand, was very forgetful and she wasn't organized, so I feel like that's why the process took as long as it did. The interview structure was very long. I believe it took me nearly 2 hours. Some questions were pretty basic and standard... "why do you feel you fit this role?""Give an example of a time when..." But some of the questions were very oddly worded. I remember the first question really through me off.

Interview Question – Cannot remember specifically which one it was, but it was the first question of the interview. IT WAS VERY ODD.   Answer Question

Greenville, NC

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, and got a call within 4 days. I went to the interview, got asked a few simple questions, and drug tested. Said they would contact me, but haven not heard anything.

Interview Question – What is your greatest strengths/weaknesses?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 9 months - interviewed at U.S. Cellular in April 2010.

Interview Details – They contacted me from CareerBuilder, then took 9 months to hire me. I had to create a profile, list everything I've done for seven years. Then, in the middle of the process, they told me that they changed their talent database, and I had to do ANOTHER profile, ANOTHER 70+ question "personality" test, and everything else. I interviewed for four positions, and was told I was being considered for a couple more. But after every single time, I had to contact the recruiter, and I usually got no response for a week after my followup. The responses I did get would be one line emails like, "Did the store manager not reach out to you?", or, "They decided to go with another candidate." In the case of the first one, it took an entire week for the recruiter to tell me that the hiring manager was on vacation. Then it took another week to be told that they had gone with someone else, and there was no further explanation given. After I left\ my last interview, I fully believed that I would be working at one particular store. I was told that this part was just more of a "meet and greet". They kept me waiting for two days, and then the recruiter called me after 6:30PM to tell me that they had hired someone else... but, would I consider yet another job? I took it out of pure desperation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There is a little room, but in general, I feel that they take so long in the hiring process so that you feel lucky to have gotten the job. In my case, I just took what they offered because I needed something.

Interviews for Top Jobs at U.S. Cellular

Worked for U.S. Cellular? Contribute to the Community!

U.S. Cellular Videos

U.S. Cellular – Why Work for Us?

With over five million customers in 26 states, U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless service carriers in the nation. We owe every bit of success to our associates—people with a real passion for their work who are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U.S. Cellular Retail Wireless Consultant interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by U.S. Cellular employees and interview candidates.