U.S. General Services Administration

Updated Dec 23, 2014
Updated Dec 23, 2014

3.1

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at U.S. General Services Administration.

I applied through my school's website, there was no interview. Instructions were to email the hiring manager for that department. He replied back to me once my application was submitted and I was considered best. There was a lot of paper work to do as the government is very detailed.Spoke with a lady after who gave me details for the job and that was it.

none

Human Resources Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration.

The hiring process was very quick! Once I was referred for the position, I was interviewed within a couple of weeks and made the job offer a week after that. Since I was a current federal employee, I was able to transfer to GSA fairly quick.

Interview Questions
    • All questions that were asked were relevant to my experience, so I did not find any that were difficult to respond to.   Answer Question
    As a federal employee, there is not a lot of room for negotiation. There is not budget for relocation assistance, Student Loan Repayment, or Relocation Incentive.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at U.S. General Services Administration.

Panel Interview with 5 or 6 people.. Pre selected questions.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions regarding how you resolve conflict and difficult customers.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration.

Submitted application on line in late summer, had a telephone interview in early September, a face to face interview in late October and was hired in December of 2006

Interview Questions
    • What was your toughest decision to make in a disciplinary situation?   View Answer
    • How do you rate your personal style of management and what is the most important part of that style?   View Answer
    • How Long have you been unemployed?   View Answer
    It was pretty straight forward as the salaries are set for specific grades

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview with three recruiters. Interview lasted about 30 minutes

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you achieved a goal you set.   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in February 2014.

The general process seemed easy enough in terms of what was expected as part of the ELP (participate in webinar, general interview, etc.) however the way that they conducted the interview/review process for the program is highly misleading and a waste of time. Due to veterans' restrictions, they were unable to push any qualified candidates that did not have military service to the ELP.

The Emerging Leaders Program is geared towards students so that they get professional development and experience. The fact that students/recent grads could not get through the process is baffling. It took over 3 months to have any decision and they seemed surprised when each time, the students they had been speaking with couldn't get through. After receiving several updates to the effect that 'we're working on it', the final update was when they said they would update us in the near future of next steps. We did not hear back until a month later with a final 'sorry, but too many veterans applied'.

Additionally, in the future, they may want to think of not having interviews before getting through the USAJobs application to save everyone some time. Although something larger could be said about the flawed point system favoring veterans over other groups to an unfair amount, I think my overall experience with applying for the ELP program left a sour taste in my mouth toward the GSA.

Intern Interview

Did an unpaid internship with them during the spring and got my paid summer internship while doing the unpaid internship.

Interview Questions
    • What do I know about the Federal Acquisitions Regulations (FAR).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The intern position interview was your standard interview in their office. Their offices are really nice and it was a very straightforward interview. No out there questions or comments involved. I have interviewed for many places and this one didn't have the questions designed yo keep you on your toes.

Realty Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in April 2013.

I was recruited at a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Career fair in NY. They prescreened me. Interview is behavioral style & conducted by panel members. They want specific details-so be specific. Interview was via phone. I am still in beginning stages of interviewing. key: PRACTICE S.T.A.R.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to condense and distribute large amounts of information.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to deliver a project with an unreasonable deadline? What was the project? What steps did you take? And what were the results?   View Answer
    • Tell me about 2 occasions where you had to use analytic skills.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in February 2013.

Really, the interview processes at this level seem to change depending on the interviewers more so than on a particular specialization. Over the past several years, promoting from within has pretty much ceased to exist so, if you’re looking for a leadership position and you couldn’t get one at your current Agency, try GSA!

Interview Questions
    • After well over 20 years in Federal leadership, I was somewhat stumped when asked “What is the last leadership training opportunity you have taken advantage of?”   View Answer