U.S. General Services Administration Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2015
Updated Mar 12, 2015

3.1

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at U.S. General Services Administration.

Interview

One technical telephonic interview followed by telephonic interview by hiring manager.

Technical interview was on java and related technologies, interview by hiring manager was on my role in previous job. Both interviews were to judge my skills and experience.

Interview Questions

• Java questions in tech interview
      General work related questions in interview by hiring manager

Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a contract position and the rate was decided before interview

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration.

Interview

Applied through University online. GSA came to campus to do an information session the night before the interview. Interview consisted of two people - one asking the questions, the other recording the answers. Questions were strictly behavioral and fairly predictable. They left plenty of time for questions at the end (45 min total). The next step was completing an assessment online that was so annoying. Questions were timed - mostly reading comprehension and basic thinking questions. There was also a personality test.

The next step was an interview over video call. Again, strictly behavioral.

I was notified about getting a position about a week after that.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at U.S. General Services Administration.

Interview

I applied through my school's website, there was no interview. Instructions were to email the hiring manager for that department. He replied back to me once my application was submitted and I was considered best. There was a lot of paper work to do as the government is very detailed.Spoke with a lady after who gave me details for the job and that was it.

Negotiation

none

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration.

Interview

The hiring process was very quick! Once I was referred for the position, I was interviewed within a couple of weeks and made the job offer a week after that. Since I was a current federal employee, I was able to transfer to GSA fairly quick.

Interview Questions

• All questions that were asked were relevant to my experience, so I did not find any that were difficult to respond to.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As a federal employee, there is not a lot of room for negotiation. There is not budget for relocation assistance, Student Loan Repayment, or Relocation Incentive.

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration (Telephone, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview was conducted telephonically and both interviewers were very nice. The interview lasted approximately one hour and asked knowledge based as well as situational (personality) based questions. The interview was pretty basic and easy to complete.

Interview Questions

• Discuss one event where you found an error that impacts the employee or organization in a negative way. How did you fix or address the situation? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at U.S. General Services Administration.

Interview

Panel Interview with 5 or 6 people.. Pre selected questions.

Interview Questions

• Situational questions regarding how you resolve conflict and difficult customers.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Submitted application on line in late summer, had a telephone interview in early September, a face to face interview in late October and was hired in December of 2006

Interview Questions

• What was your toughest decision to make in a disciplinary situation?   1 Answer
    • How do you rate your personal style of management and what is the most important part of that style?   1 Answer
    • How Long have you been unemployed?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was pretty straight forward as the salaries are set for specific grades

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

Interview with three recruiters. Interview lasted about 30 minutes

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you achieved a goal you set.   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in February 2014.

Interview

The general process seemed easy enough in terms of what was expected as part of the ELP (participate in webinar, general interview, etc.) however the way that they conducted the interview/review process for the program is highly misleading and a waste of time. Due to veterans' restrictions, they were unable to push any qualified candidates that did not have military service to the ELP.

The Emerging Leaders Program is geared towards students so that they get professional development and experience. The fact that students/recent grads could not get through the process is baffling. It took over 3 months to have any decision and they seemed surprised when each time, the students they had been speaking with couldn't get through. After receiving several updates to the effect that 'we're working on it', the final update was when they said they would update us in the near future of next steps. We did not hear back until a month later with a final 'sorry, but too many veterans applied'.

Additionally, in the future, they may want to think of not having interviews before getting through the USAJobs application to save everyone some time. Although something larger could be said about the flawed point system favoring veterans over other groups to an unfair amount, I think my overall experience with applying for the ELP program left a sour taste in my mouth toward the GSA.

Intern Interview

Interview

Did an unpaid internship with them during the spring and got my paid summer internship while doing the unpaid internship.

Interview Questions

• What do I know about the Federal Acquisitions Regulations (FAR).   Answer Question