U.S. General Services Administration

Updated Dec 23, 2014
Updated Dec 23, 2014

3.1

Financial Management Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in October 2012.

Applied through University campus recruiting website and was contacted fairly quickly. The company held an information session a day prior to the interview.

The interview was conducted on-campus by 3 formal alumnae and they were very friendly
    and outgoing.

As for the interview, it was mainly behavioral based. The main recruiting head did the questioning while one typed the responses and the other sometimes helped in asking questions too. Questions were also targeted at getting to know the candidate's personal interests, hobbies, and academic study.

Reply back after interview took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project that you were working on and how you overcame any impending challenges.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in March 2012.

2 interviews

Pay was too low

Program Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in July 2011.

Three interviews; one dis-organized panel in-person at their downtown offices and two panels by phone. Participants were very cordial and after 3 interviews I really thought I was on my way to some level of a job offer. I was on told another candidate was selected after I emailed a followup several weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we select you over the other qualified applicants?   View Answer

Supervisory Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in June 2011.

Communication is typical Federal Government standard. The questions are comprised off of a standard list recommended and employed throughout the agency. Typically, there are at least two rounds of interviews if referred by HR and considered. If referred by HR, can be eliminated in first round. The division being considered was for the Public Building Services Division. History will show that the division typically hires from within. Pretty much wasted time to apply. Accountability is also questionable as part of the work culture. Since the hiring practice is to hire internally, benchmarking against the industry is limited. Have interfaced with the division in performing acquisitions of products and services. It is quite limited on its capabilities outside of construction services.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a situation that you provide a solution to when a decision had to made between established milestone and quality of a particular project.   Answer Question

Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in October 2010.

Although Fort Worth residents are generally super-friendly, the hiring manager who would have been my supervisor was not. From the start, she gave the impression that interviewing me was an imposition on her time. She appeared to be under a lot of pressure, possibly promoted past her ability to cope. Her supervisor seemed like a nice guy - very interested in computer skills and in my ability to perform under stress. Asked numerous questions about whether I could do two jobs at once, how I handle stress. They both gave the impression that they have little control over pointless changes in the way they operate that are imposed on them from above. And that it makes it hard to get their work done efficiently. Had to wonder how stressful the job would be, whether it was a good situation there. They also could not clearly describe exactly what I would do in the job. That made it difficult to match my skills to their needs. Find out what the job is before interviewing there - talk to human resources or the person currently in the job since the supervisors can't describe it very well.

Branch Chief Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auburn, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auburn, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in September 2010.

Flew me out for an interview. Had one interview and was offered the position the same week.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you failed at something and what you learned from it.   Answer Question
    Negotiated start date. Salary is not negotiable.

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in July 2010.

Very good. Panel interview style

I was able to negotiate

Federal Career Internship Program - Multiple Positions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in February 2010.

Interviewed through college career services. When I arrived there were 3 recent employee greeters from GSA who gave me a folder with all the pertinent information about the positions and process of getting hired and answered questions in an informal manner. Then I had a 1:1 interview with someone who I instantly clicked with. She was very personable and easy-going. She tried to put me at ease right from the start. They have a form that they fill out throughout the interview which included 4 detailed questions. For one of the questions I had to ask her to repeat it because I wanted to stay on track with my answer which she said beforehand was OK. She said that it would take up to 3 weeks before I hear anything one way or another. In the info packet there is a link for testing that you have to take for each one of the positions you want to apply for with a 2 weeks deadline. They encourage you to apply for as many as you want, it doesn't hurt you. These were the positions: Transportation Operations Specialist, Realty Specialist, Supply System Specialist, Program Analyst, Human Resource Analyst, Contract Specialist, Business Systems Specialist, Bulding Management Specialist, Asset Manager, IT Specialist, & Budget Analyst/Financial Management Analyst. You start at a GS-7 and each year automatically move up another grade to GS-12 (year 4) at which point you have to compete with everyone else for a promotion. Philly salaries are GS-7=$41,383, GS-9=$50,620, GS-11=$61,245, GS-12=$73,408 (automatic raises unless you don't measure up) + goverment benefits. Interview lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What was a negative situation that you were able to turn into a positive.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of an opportunity you had to be a leader.   Answer Question

Asset Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in February 2010.

The interview took place on my campus and was very brief (lasted less than 30 minutes). The company had some representatives in the lobby and gave me a brochure going over the company and some of their job descriptions and benefits. During the interview, they only asked a few questions. They asked me to give examples of my experiences with leadership, flexibility, teamwork, and oral presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time when you had to give an oral presentation.   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you exhibited leadership.   Answer Question

Division Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person – interviewed at U.S. General Services Administration in February 2010.

Submit a government resume electronically, being sure to address all requirements stated in the vacancy announcement. Wait for an interview and be ready to elaborate on all aspects of your experience, as you may be asked about anything regarding your professional background. In advance, learn about the organization to which you are applying and be ready to answer questions about what you might do to move the organization forward during if you were to get the job.