U.S. Government Accountability Office Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through USA Jobs, same as I had for many, many other jobs. This one actually worked out. I received an e-mail asking to set up an in-person interview at the office in DC. All the while, the application on USA Jobs was never properly updated. I went down to the GAO building, and was met in the lobby by an analyst. She told me a bit about the organization, and walked me to a conference room to hold the interview. Two longtime employees interviewed me. They were very warm. They shared about their experience, and offered advice. There was some good back and forth. We exchanged cards, and the young lady who had shown me to the conference room showed me out, and gave me her card to ask if I had any questions. I received an offer letter about 3 weeks later, and began the security screening process.

Interview Questions

• Describe experiences in working on major research projects.   Answer Question
  • Discuss your experience with professional communication.   Answer Question
  • How do you stay organized / How do you prioritize tasks?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a paper you wrote   Answer Question
  • Describe a situation where you were required to work with as part of a team.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for U.S. Government Accountability Office

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position via USAJobs. Approximately three months later, I received an email and phone call about being considered for an interview, and whether I wanted to do the interview in DC or phone. I scheduled the phone interview approximately one week later. It was a panel of about three analysts who were at different career stages and in different offices. It was a very informative process, nothing too unexpected from what was wanted in the original vacancy announcement. Most of the questions strongly related to research experiences, teamwork, leadership, etc. I received an email approximately 2 and a half weeks after the interview with the offer. I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experiences working in a team setting. Describe experiences in working on major research projects. Have you ever experienced working in a difficult team circumstance and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in April 2010.

Interview

The interview included a simple phone interview that last about thirty minutes. I was asked the standard fit questions and briefly asked about my technical background. The interviewers seemed genuine and soundly like they actually enjoyed their work.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a situation where you were required to work with as part of a team. What was the biggest obstacle? How did you achieve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since it is the government there is very little room for negotiating.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office (Washington, DC) in February 2010.

Interview

I filled out the application on USAjobs.gov. I was called to set up an interview about two months later. My interview was scheduled for my half birthday (February 10, 2010) during the Washington D.C. snow storms so I was stood up for the first scheduled interview, but we re rescheduled :) I was supposed to be interviewed by a panel, but because there were people missing from the office there was only one gentleman and our conversation was recorded. They asked me about times when I was part of a team, how I prioritized projects, and my writing. It was very conversational and we talked more about his experience after the "interview" portion was over. We had a very honest conversation about the two positions I was being interviewed for and the pros and cons. The people I ended up working with were fantastic. The colleagues I found at the GAO were top notch.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were on a team and a team member didn't pull his/her weight.   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize tasks?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, although I probably could have.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Government Accountability Office in March 2009.

Interview

Applied online at USAjobs November 2008, received a call-back March 2009 and scheduled a 60 minute phone interview (with the 3 interviewers). Received my job offer in April 2009 and began working May 2009.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your approach to evaluating a policy or program   Answer Question