U.S. News & World Report Interview Questions

Updated Feb 11, 2015

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. News & World Report in December 2014.

I applied via LinkedIn and was promptly contacted for a phone screen with the HR Manager, another phone screen with the hiring manager and the rest of the team and then an in-person interview.

I want to add that I'd been looking for a job for six months, but was employed at the time so I took my time with looking for the right fit. While I interviewed at multiple places, U.S. News & World Report was by far the most down to earth process that I'd been through. I didn't felt like I was being quizzed, tested or rated on certain responses to questions asked.

The two phone screens, and even the in-person interview felt like a causal conversation just to talk about my background and learn about the position and the company.

While it did take a full month from the screenings to the offer letter, this was all done during the holiday season.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to my work experience and answers to certain REAL scenarios that I would face in the position and ways to resolve/approach. I capitalized "real" because I wasn't asked generic scenario questions that a lot of employers recite.   Answer Question

Manager In General Administration Department Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. News & World Report.

The application process was straightforward and didn't waste my time, I was contacted within a month and asked to come in for a face to face interview. I was given the opportunity to interview with more than one individual that I would be reporting to and had an answer within a week of interviewing. I accepted! The office staff was friendly, well dressed and well spoken. The interview questions were fair and easy to answer given my background. I was given an office tour so I could see all of the great amenities.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult or unexpected which I appreciated. There were questions specific to my background and the rest of the interview was very conversational.   View Answer
    I discussed my salary requirements during the interview and the offer was within the range that I was requesting so I did not negotiate.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. News & World Report in February 2014.

I received an email for a phone interview within the hour of submitting my application. After the phone interview, I was invited in to meet with six people from the Education/Hospitality teams. They were all incredibly friendly and intelligent. However, the process took a while (almost two months) to complete. I was a finalist for the position but never heard back about a decision despite several follow-ups. Really nice group, but the communication could have been better.

Interview Questions
    • What problems would we be inheriting from your previous employer?   View Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. News & World Report in July 2010.

I had a phone interview, then a writing test, then an in-person interview, then another phone interview. After the in-person interview, they invited me to come meet with them in DC (expenses paid) and then waited 2 weeks to tell me that airfare was too high and another phone interview would be better. None of the interviews were very hard but they just took forever to get back with me and after my last phone interview they still haven't sent me a rejection letter. I just didn't feel like they treated me with very much respect throughout the whole process.

Network Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at U.S. News & World Report in December 2009.

It was quite fun, I was interviewed initially by the head Network guy, Then by 5 others, that also worked it the IT dept. They asked me a lot of question, in a round table like manner, as long as you know what you're talking about, you should be good to go