U.S. PIRG

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Campus Organizer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview Details – I was a member of a student PIRG and was recruited to USPIRG by my campus organizer. I had to fill out the online application before the first interview. The first interview I had was pleasant, enjoyable, and easy. She told me right then that she would recommend me for a second interview, which was the most insulting experience that I've had. I felt offended for most of the interview. It felt like the most negative employee review. I considered asking her to withdraw my application just so I wouldn't have to continue the process. USPIRG also makes little sense to me: they recruit and raise money to hold events to recruit to get people hired by USPIRG to work for campus organizations to recruit. I don't think they actually do many things of substance at all. And they've wrapped themselves in red tape in order to justify it.

Interview Question – Argue for an anti-smoking policy; argue against that policy.   View Answer

Notre Dame, IN

I applied through college or university - interviewed at U.S. PIRG in October 2013.

Interview Details – I received a mass email advertising an info session. I responded saying I would be unable to attend the info session but would like to learn more. I was invited to interview in what was also an info session. It was a bit strange, I thought, that they would ask to interview me without having heard anything other than my interest. I guess they had extra time on their hands.

Once I had agreed to interview, they asked me to apply for the job before the interview, and I complied. The job application asked some interesting questions like (paraphrasing here) "If you were suddenly given a large grant to change the world, what would you do?"

Interview Question – (something like) "What makes you think you would be a good enough people person to lead a movement?"   Answer Question

Campus Organizer

I applied through other source and interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview Details – The interview process took place over the phone. They asked standard questions about why you were interested in the job and what you could bring to the table. It was a very relaxed phone interview and I thought that everything went smoothly. However after the interview I heard nothing back even though I had contacted my interviewee. While I was not too upset about not hearing back I thought it was extremely rude to not even update me on the status of my application.

Interview Question – What is something that you have been passionate about and stuck with?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. PIRG in April 2012.

Interview Details – First was a phone interview with a fellow from Chicago, lasted about, 30 minutes give or take. Then he scheduled an interview for the following week. Went to the 1 on 1 interview, lasted about 1 hour in which she asked questions related to issues and campaign tactics. Main policy issue covered was smoking (tobacco) and to design a campaign around that.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The pay was incredibly low for the hours asked to work. 50-80 hours a week for 22k? No thank you, unless you are excessively passionate about these policies, and/or have another well paying job.

Interviews for Top Jobs at U.S. PIRG

Worked for U.S. PIRG? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U.S. PIRG Campus Organizer interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by U.S. PIRG employees and interview candidates.