U.S. PIRG Campus Organizer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Boston, MA).

Interview

Easy phone interview and then a follow up interview in Boston (which I did not attend) because it was a full day and they did not provide anything. Very little communication between the organization and you

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for U.S. PIRG

Campus Organizer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at U.S. PIRG in November 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by them and sent in an app with a resume. I was asked to schedule a phone interview with a first tier coordinator for an initial interview. It was pretty straight forward, I had sent in a resume so she was able to look at that while we spoke. It was super casual and lasted the promised 45 min. I was offered a second tier interview by the end of that interview. It was over skype but we ended up over the phone instead. That was also 45 min except she didnt seem to have had the same info the tier 1 girl had. I doubt she even read my c.v. or saw my resume. I was given to extend the conversation and ask questions.

Interview Questions

• What is an issue you would like to campaign for?   1 Answer
    • "Why should I hire you?" 2nd interview   1 Answer
    • When was a time you struggled for something to happen?   1 Answer
    • What would stop you from taking this position?   Answer Question
    • Team building experience?   1 Answer

Campus Organizer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

I was a member of a student PIRG and was recruited to USPIRG by my campus organizer. I had to fill out the online application before the first interview. The first interview I had was pleasant, enjoyable, and easy. She told me right then that she would recommend me for a second interview, which was the most insulting experience that I've had. I felt offended for most of the interview. It felt like the most negative employee review. I considered asking her to withdraw my application just so I wouldn't have to continue the process. USPIRG also makes little sense to me: they recruit and raise money to hold events to recruit to get people hired by USPIRG to work for campus organizations to recruit. I don't think they actually do many things of substance at all. And they've wrapped themselves in red tape in order to justify it.

Interview Questions

• Argue for an anti-smoking policy; argue against that policy.   1 Answer

Campus Organizer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. PIRG in December 2013.

Interview

Interview was all done over the phone or via skype. PIRG doesn't really have any rhyme or reason behind where they send new hires, so your interviewer could be from anywhere in the country. When you apply specify where you want to be, otherwise you might have to relocate. I had 3 interviews before being hired. Usually takes up to a month or more to get hired with PIRG.

Anonymous Employee in Notre Dame, IN

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Notre Dame, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

I received a mass email advertising an info session. I responded saying I would be unable to attend the info session but would like to learn more. I was invited to interview in what was also an info session. It was a bit strange, I thought, that they would ask to interview me without having heard anything other than my interest. I guess they had extra time on their hands.

Once I had agreed to interview, they asked me to apply for the job before the interview, and I complied. The job application asked some interesting questions like (paraphrasing here) "If you were suddenly given a large grant to change the world, what would you do?"

Interview Questions

• (something like) "What makes you think you would be a good enough people person to lead a movement?"   Answer Question

Campus Organizer Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

The interview process took place over the phone. They asked standard questions about why you were interested in the job and what you could bring to the table. It was a very relaxed phone interview and I thought that everything went smoothly. However after the interview I heard nothing back even though I had contacted my interviewee. While I was not too upset about not hearing back I thought it was extremely rude to not even update me on the status of my application.

Interview Questions

• What is something that you have been passionate about and stuck with?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. PIRG (Washington, DC) in April 2012.

Interview

First was a phone interview with a fellow from Chicago, lasted about, 30 minutes give or take. Then he scheduled an interview for the following week. Went to the 1 on 1 interview, lasted about 1 hour in which she asked questions related to issues and campaign tactics. Main policy issue covered was smoking (tobacco) and to design a campaign around that.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a campaign for a city council to ban smoking in public areas?   Answer Question
    • Who do you believe is at fault for not allowing these laws for a smoke free environment from passing?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • What is a challenge you have had to overcome in your life?   Answer Question
    • What is a policy that you are passionate about and why?   Answer Question

The pay was incredibly low for the hours asked to work. 50-80 hours a week for 22k? No thank you, unless you are excessively passionate about these policies, and/or have another well paying job.