U.S. PIRG

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

U S PIRG Fellow

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. PIRG in March 2014.

Interview Details – I met a representative at a fair in DC. I set up a phone interview with her. I had the interview and it went well. She just asked basic interview questions and wanted to know about my leadership abilities. I moved on to the next round and which was a Skype interview. I thought it went well as well and that i was clearly qualified for the job.

Interview Question – Gave me a political scenario that I may face on the job and how I would respond to it.   Answer Question

Interviewed at U.S. PIRG

Interview Details – I went through two rounds of interviews before I withdrew from the selection process. They were very nice and honest with me when I asked them questions that I read on a blog that absolutely hates them. However, I realized that if you don't like canvassing then this isn't the job for you. They want this job to become your entire life.

Interview Question – Tell us a time you failed.   Answer Question

Campus Organizer Interview

Campus Organizer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview Details – I was a member of a student PIRG and was recruited to USPIRG by my campus organizer. I had to fill out the online application before the first interview. The first interview I had was pleasant, enjoyable, and easy. She told me right then that she would recommend me for a second interview, which was the most insulting experience that I've had. I felt offended for most of the interview. It felt like the most negative employee review. I considered asking her to withdraw my application just so I wouldn't have to continue the process. USPIRG also makes little sense to me: they recruit and raise money to hold events to recruit to get people hired by USPIRG to work for campus organizations to recruit. I don't think they actually do many things of substance at all. And they've wrapped themselves in red tape in order to justify it.

Interview Question – Argue for an anti-smoking policy; argue against that policy.   View Answer

Interviewed at U.S. PIRG

Interview Details – The hiring process is very disorganized. The interviewer barely knew anything about me ie. had not reviewed my resume prior to speaking with me. The interview went well, I moved onto the next stage, and had a secondary interview. The second interview was great but I was not offered the position. Obviously this confused me and was disappointing.

Interview Question – I had to describe how I would foster awareness on a social issue for a senator.   Answer Question

U S PIRG Fellow

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. PIRG in March 2014.

Interview Details – The first round is very easy. I received an e-mail within a day of applying and the interview was conducted for about 30 minutes over the phone. I was told I would receive a 2nd round with a regional manager at the end of the call. my second round is still pending

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to lead something. (Like I said, the questions really were not difficult)   Answer Question
  • What is something you did that you are most proud of?   Answer Question

Interviewed at U.S. PIRG

Interview Details – Did a first round interview. Pretty basic behavioral interview. They really want to know what issues you are passionate about. Familiarize yourself with their current issues before you go in to the interview.

Interview Question – What issue is most important to you.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

U S PIRG Fellow

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. PIRG in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty average, no really hard questions, focused a lot on my resume, but did not appear to have really looked at my resume or cover letter beforehand. My first interview was conducted by an alum from my school who had only graduated 5 months previously and had only been working with US PIRG for 2.5 months, so that was very strange. I was also asked back to a second interview immediately during the end of the interview which was somewhat unexpected, but not hateful. I decided not to go through with the second interview because the job was not for me.

Interview Question – They asked a question about organization and how you would deal with managing an entire office/program to yourself (because apparently that is how it works).   Answer Question

Campus Organizer Interview

Campus Organizer
Notre Dame, IN

I applied through college or university - interviewed at U.S. PIRG in October 2013.

Interview Details – I received a mass email advertising an info session. I responded saying I would be unable to attend the info session but would like to learn more. I was invited to interview in what was also an info session. It was a bit strange, I thought, that they would ask to interview me without having heard anything other than my interest. I guess they had extra time on their hands.

Once I had agreed to interview, they asked me to apply for the job before the interview, and I complied. The job application asked some interesting questions like (paraphrasing here) "If you were suddenly given a large grant to change the world, what would you do?"

Interview Question – (something like) "What makes you think you would be a good enough people person to lead a movement?"   Answer Question

Issue Advocate Interview

Issue Advocate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview Details – I applied online for an issue advocate position. Initial writing test was no difficult, but phone interview that followed was one of the poorly conducted interviews I've ever experienced.

While many of the questions were standard, I was constantly told by the interviewer that I "didn't understand what we do" based on my answers to questions. For example, I was asked what skills from my current job could be applied to the position I was applying for. I spoke about how I was involved in coalition building of lawmakers and a few interest groups for piece of legislation I was involved in drafting -- I gave this answer because "coalition building" was included in the issue advocate job description. I was told that I didn't understand PIRG's mission because they "don't build coalitions with lawmakers." OK, but you asked about skills, not specific communities.

All in all, the process was a lot more difficult than it should have been. I agree with the previous poster that they are looking for people who just need a job and are willing to get paid nothing to do it. I wouldn't recommend if you are a somewhat experienced professional.

Interview Question – How would some of the skills you use in your current position be applicable to this position?   Answer Question

U S PIRG Fellow

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview Details – The initial contact/outreach by Work for Progress was somewhat exciting, as it seemed that they were really interested in securing great talent for this important work. I was contacted numerous times, even when I didn't reach back out despite my hesitation after hearing feedback from sites like this one. I was able to secure an interview with both a State Advocate (for the PIRG Fellow position) and a Recruiting Directors at WFP (Campus Organizer position). Both interviews went really well from the feedback that was given.

I was then told that my application would be forwarded to the field office in Chicago where I would be furthered assessed, and potentially placed in a location for the the PIRG Fellow position. I NEVER received any follow-up or feedback, having sent THREE emails, and made numerous phone calls to the WFP and the individual who did the interview. This is highly unprofessional, and shows me the lack of professionalism and decorum that is displayed with this organization.Additionally, I was told that my qualifications didn't match what they wanted for the Campus Organizer position, but that they still wanted me for a field position (isn't the two the Organizer position and a Field Manager position the same thing?) The process made very little practical sense.

To all potential applicants, and those who are fortunate enough to get in contact with someone for an interview, be wary of your time being potentially wasted. They would rather have young, gullible individuals rather than young, vibrant, excited professionals with a passion for this work. They would rather have those coming directly out of school that are excited about the chance to make a quick buck for 22-23k for 60-80 hrs of work a week. To be honest, most the people that they pick over the more qualified candidates, DO NOT last because the time commitment they WILL NOT or DO NOT want to meet, they just want something to put on a resume and get some quick easy money.

I have attempted to follow-up even before writing this, and I am still getting the runaround and voicemails, so this only reinforces my feelings about this organization, I am comfortable with passing on it and accepting that I am not a good fit for such unprofessional behavior on the part of recruitment team at WFP and senior management, unresponsiveness of individuals for follow-up/feedback, and lack of organization/structure in their recruitment process. Honestly, this organization strives to do some good work, but their mission is subverted by their horrible recruitment process and their inability to discern between those TRULY dedicated to policy and campaign work, and those who are just talking to get a quick, easy buck. AVOID AT ALL COST IF YOU WANT A MEANINGFUL WORK EXPERIENCE TOWARDS MAKING A MEASURABLE DIFFERENCE WITH KEY ISSUES THAT MATTER TO YOU. PLEASE DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS ORGANIZATION IF YOU TRULY WANT TO DO SOME GOOD FOR GOOD POLITICS IN THIS COUNTRY. THEY SEEM LIKE A GREAT ORGANIZATION, BUT THEY ARE TRYING TO HOLD A MONOPOLY ON GRASSROOTS ORGANIZATION FOR NUMEROUS CAMPAIGNS AND PI ORGANIZATIONS, BUT THEY ARE FAILING MISERABLY, AND THEIR RETENTION AND SUCCESS RATES REFLECT THE NATURE OF THEIR RECRUITING/HIRING PROCESS AND THEIR LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM. There are other organizations that would be happy to have good talent. Please seek them out. Best

Interview Question – Questions asked are not difficult, Most questions center around leadership ability on a specific issue, most difficult challenge faced/overcoming any obstacles to achieving it, and just character questions centered on understanding how you relate to people and circumstances.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined an offer that was less than what I applied for (and less than what my qualifications are fit for) , and I still have NOT received any feedback on the first position I applied for (US PIRG Fellow). I was schedule for a Office Admin interview, and just declined to participate all together. I was really turned off after the unresponsive about the other positions, and the manner in which they handle the process behind the other two.

Interviews for Top Jobs at U.S. PIRG

Worked for U.S. PIRG? Contribute to the Community!