U.S. PIRG Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2015

2.6

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Would consider this an unstructured interview, where the interviewers were trying to get a sense of my expertise in building campaigns around a particular issue area. It was very conversational, not the traditional interview with a particular slate of questions. Many questions surrounding my background and how I got to where I am today.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience in building a particular campaign that you had built. Did you work with the opposition or work against the opposition?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Boston, MA).

Interview

Easy phone interview and then a follow up interview in Boston (which I did not attend) because it was a full day and they did not provide anything. Very little communication between the organization and you

U S PIRG Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

Applied online and received a call to schedule an interview within the next week. First round interview entailed questions about why you want to work here and other behavioral questions. Was offered a second round interview on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Discuss an issue in the news you are following and why you are doing so.   Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Interview

Interview process was painless and quick... organization had me shadow an employee for a shift to learn what position was about. I gained great insight into the world of canvassing and leading others, it was a very valuable experience.

U S PIRG Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG in January 2015.

Interview

I was offered an in person interview with a local recruiter. Was very informal, with typical behavioral questions and why I cared about the issue/would be good at the job. I was offered a second round interview on the spot at the end of the interview, to be had over Skype with a director. The interview lasted about fifty minutes and went well. It was a similar behavioral interview, just with more depth all around. About a week later I received an email that they did not have a position for me, but offered an interview with a partner organization for a different position that aligned more closely with my interests. The partner organization took the initiative to call me themselves and say I was highly recommended, in this interview process now.

U S PIRG Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

US PIRG came to my campus's career fair to recruit, and held interviews the day after. I submitted my application and was quickly scheduled for an interview. The first interview was fairly easy; we talked about my background, issues I was passionate about, and why I was interested in the position. At the end of the interview, the interviewer told me that I would move on to the second round. I was then sent an email with instructions for a writing sample that I had 24 hours to write. The writing sample is easy - you just have to write about an article you read in the news recently. The second interview was at one of their offices and was much more difficult; a lot of the questions were hypothetical scenarios and I didn't think that I performed very well in that interview. The interview also asked me what other kinds of jobs I was applying to, and when I gave a general answer, she pushed me to give names of specific organizations, which made me very uncomfortable. However, two weeks later, I got a call inviting me to a third interview. However, I declined the interview, as I'd realized that the job was not a good fit for me due to the negative things I'd read online about the PIRG and how the interviewer described the job (intense hours especially in the summer when you run a canvassing office).

Interview Questions

• How I would run a campaign for campaign finance reform.   Answer Question

Campus Organizer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG in November 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by them and sent in an app with a resume. I was asked to schedule a phone interview with a first tier coordinator for an initial interview. It was pretty straight forward, I had sent in a resume so she was able to look at that while we spoke. It was super casual and lasted the promised 45 min. I was offered a second tier interview by the end of that interview. It was over skype but we ended up over the phone instead. That was also 45 min except she didnt seem to have had the same info the tier 1 girl had. I doubt she even read my c.v. or saw my resume. I was given to extend the conversation and ask questions.

Interview Questions

• What is an issue you would like to campaign for?   1 Answer
    • "Why should I hire you?" 2nd interview   1 Answer
    • When was a time you struggled for something to happen?   1 Answer
    • What would stop you from taking this position?   Answer Question
    • Team building experience?   1 Answer

U S PIRG Fellow Interview

Interview

I went through two rounds of interviews before I withdrew from the selection process. They were very nice and honest with me when I asked them questions that I read on a blog that absolutely hates them. However, I realized that if you don't like canvassing then this isn't the job for you. They want this job to become your entire life.

Campus Organizer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

I was a member of a student PIRG and was recruited to USPIRG by my campus organizer. I had to fill out the online application before the first interview. The first interview I had was pleasant, enjoyable, and easy. She told me right then that she would recommend me for a second interview, which was the most insulting experience that I've had. I felt offended for most of the interview. It felt like the most negative employee review. I considered asking her to withdraw my application just so I wouldn't have to continue the process. USPIRG also makes little sense to me: they recruit and raise money to hold events to recruit to get people hired by USPIRG to work for campus organizations to recruit. I don't think they actually do many things of substance at all. And they've wrapped themselves in red tape in order to justify it.

Interview Questions

• Argue for an anti-smoking policy; argue against that policy.   1 Answer

U S PIRG Fellow Interview

Interview

The hiring process is very disorganized. The interviewer barely knew anything about me ie. had not reviewed my resume prior to speaking with me. The interview went well, I moved onto the next stage, and had a secondary interview. The second interview was great but I was not offered the position. Obviously this confused me and was disappointing.

Interview Questions

• I had to describe how I would foster awareness on a social issue for a senator.   Answer Question