U.S. Senate

Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.3

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at U.S. Senate.

interview with regional director and then sign papers understanding that you are going to not be paid for the position that you have been hired for. its really nice and really fun

Other Interview Reviews for U.S. Senate

Intern Interview

Basic questions such as why you feel your particular elected official is important to your state (mine was of New Jersey), what issues s/he supported that inspired you to want to work for said official, and what sort of background you possess that would lead to success at the office.

You don't need to major in anything political science-related, from my point of view--just be intelligent, look good on paper/presentable in person, and know how to answer the fundamental questions every interviewer asks.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

I submitted the online application which included answering some questions about my interests/past work, submitting a resume, and submitting a cover letter. There was only one interview round and I was notified of the decision 4 weeks after.

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy of the Senator's that you support and why?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview with Chief of Staff. Was offered internship on the spot.

Interview Questions
    Not open for negotiation.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

I applied online through the senator's internship site. Got a call back within two weeks asking for an interview. Due to my location at that time, I requested a phone interview and they were happy to comply with my request.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a frustrated constituent calling?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

The hiring process was very straightforward and open. After submission of a cover letter and resume, letters of recommendation were requested so that character and work ethic could be reviewed. At least one needed to be from a professor or other educational person. Then, upon completion of resume review, I received a call asking for an in-person interview. I scheduled this, and was then interviewed by two staff members. I waited a couple of weeks and was offered the job.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate in January 2014.

I went through both a phone and in-person interview (since I lived in the area). The questions were pretty basic for me, like "Tell Me about yourself?" "What are your strength and weaknesses?" "How are you working with people?," etc. The whole process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions for me, they're pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied for the summer internship. I sent in all of the information required for the application, and hear back from them less than a week later. One member of the office staff set up a phone interview via email, and they called me maybe 5 minutes after the designated time. The phone interview was with two members of the office staff. They honestly didn't really ask me any classic interview questions, I think they were already decided on who they were giving the job to. However, because a lot of the job is handling constituents on the phone, they are constantly paying attention to how you interact on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think that you are best suited for to work for the Senator of this state and region?   Answer Question
    There was none, but there are a few Senators that do pay their Interns! Many don't though.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate in April 2012.

The application process was fairly straightforward and had a quick turnaround. The information is publicly available on the Senator's website - letters of recommendation, resume, and a few essays or written sample requirements. Then I didn't hear back for awhile, until the internship coordinator at the Senator's office called unexpectedly. He then asked me questions about my leadership experience at college and why I wanted to work for the particular Senator. It was a pretty easy.

Interview Questions
    • What about the Senator made you want to work for them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at U.S. Senate in March 2011.

The hiring and interview process is fairly easy; you apply to the office then wait to hear back. These jobs have intense competition and as such, you need to be stellar and hopefully know someone in the office to guarantee getting in.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss the details of one bill currently being discussed by the Senate.   Answer Question
    Interns aren't paid.