U.S. Senate Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

2.4

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

There was an application, which led to a phone interview. They asked questions about current affairs and policies the Senator was currently enacting. If you past the phone interview, you would interview once more in the district office. There would be similar questions, but they would go into more depth. Additionally, there were a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for U.S. Senate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

After submitting an online application, a brief five minute interview occurred. The interviewer only asked two questions that were not very difficult to answer. The initial packet included a personal narrative as well as questions about education and past experiences.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

The interview process included a short application provided by the office, a resume, cover letter, list of references and short writing sample. The writing sample was allowed to be an excerpt from another paper of relevance.

Interview Questions

• Is there an example of a challenging instance you had in your previous work experience? If so, how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at U.S. Senate (Columbia, SC) in January 2015.

Interview

Was referred by an employee who already worked there. Straight forward interview, they took on interns to test their skills as they went. They seemed to base hiring on personality and dedication. Focused on hard working individuals

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

interview with regional director and then sign papers understanding that you are going to not be paid for the position that you have been hired for. its really nice and really fun

Intern Interview

Interview

Basic questions such as why you feel your particular elected official is important to your state (mine was of New Jersey), what issues s/he supported that inspired you to want to work for said official, and what sort of background you possess that would lead to success at the office. You don't need to major in anything political science-related, from my point of view--just be intelligent, look good on paper/presentable in person, and know how to answer the fundamental questions every interviewer asks.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

I submitted the online application which included answering some questions about my interests/past work, submitting a resume, and submitting a cover letter. There was only one interview round and I was notified of the decision 4 weeks after.

Interview Questions

• What is a policy of the Senator's that you support and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, all the questions were easy, mostly behavioral, a few easy technical questions about my specific member. The interviewers were lower level staffers and were very nice. I would suggest reading the members wikipedia page and his/her personal website before your interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

Interview with Chief of Staff. Was offered internship on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not open for negotiation.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

I applied online through the senator's internship site. Got a call back within two weeks asking for an interview. Due to my location at that time, I requested a phone interview and they were happy to comply with my request.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a frustrated constituent calling?   Answer Question