U.S. Senate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2015

2.6

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

Sent in an application online, received an interview offer after two weeks. Process was smooth. Mostly a few behavioral questions, going through resume, and making sure I was a good fit. A few questions about what I knew about the office, my skill set, and what issues I'd like to work on, and received an answer after a few days.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

There was an application, which led to a phone interview. They asked questions about current affairs and policies the Senator was currently enacting. If you past the phone interview, you would interview once more in the district office. There would be similar questions, but they would go into more depth. Additionally, there were a lot of behavioral questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

The interview process included a short application provided by the office, a resume, cover letter, list of references and short writing sample. The writing sample was allowed to be an excerpt from another paper of relevance.

Interview Questions

• Is there an example of a challenging instance you had in your previous work experience? If so, how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Constituent Services Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

I learned of an opportunity in the district office through my university and sent an email with a cover letter/resume. A couple of weeks later I was contacted to scheduled an in-person interview. The interview was in the district office and required me to answer questions by a panel of three current employees. I was then asked to draft a response to a hypothetical letter from a constituent. It was only about a week before the office called and offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• "How would you handle a call from an irate constituent?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't think to negotiate, as this was my first job out of college. I get the impression there is an opportunity to negotiate a salary, but it depends on the individual office's budget.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

interview with regional director and then sign papers understanding that you are going to not be paid for the position that you have been hired for. its really nice and really fun

Intern Interview

Interview

Basic questions such as why you feel your particular elected official is important to your state (mine was of New Jersey), what issues s/he supported that inspired you to want to work for said official, and what sort of background you possess that would lead to success at the office.

You don't need to major in anything political science-related, from my point of view--just be intelligent, look good on paper/presentable in person, and know how to answer the fundamental questions every interviewer asks.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

I submitted the online application which included answering some questions about my interests/past work, submitting a resume, and submitting a cover letter. There was only one interview round and I was notified of the decision 4 weeks after.

Interview Questions

• What is a policy of the Senator's that you support and why?   Answer Question

Mail Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

Had to undergo a series of questions from 3 supervisors, then had to cross train and learn the protocols for data processing and checking mail thoroughly, and lastly properly suit up before doing into the lab to screen the mail.

Interview Questions

• What gets you most upset when perfoming your job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

8% increase from what I was making as a mail carrier

Speechwriter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

It's all about who you know. Because I was well connected with someone politically, I felt the skids were greased beforehand. First round interview was on the phone with a chief of staff. The in-person interview was with the chief of staff and the principal. I felt I had already been vetted and approved and the in-person interview felt mostly pro forma.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated a bump in salary purely by bravado and luck

Staff Assistant Interview

Interview

They called me for a phone interview and asked some pretty standard questions and it lasted about 20 minutes. The lady one the phone was really polite but let me know that they typically interview around 200 candidates for this position so unless you know someone, you are going to have to find a way to stand out from the pack.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Senator? List everything you can, it is a test of knowledge and what you can recite off the top of your head.   Answer Question