U.S. Senate

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at U.S. Senate

Interview Details – They called me for a phone interview and asked some pretty standard questions and it lasted about 20 minutes. The lady one the phone was really polite but let me know that they typically interview around 200 candidates for this position so unless you know someone, you are going to have to find a way to stand out from the pack.

Interview Question – What do you know about the Senator? List everything you can, it is a test of knowledge and what you can recite off the top of your head.   Answer Question

Interviewed at U.S. Senate

Interview Details – I submitted a resume which was then kept on file. I received a call when a position became available about 6 months later and was asked to come in for a formal interview.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in twenty years?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Senate in May 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews; not very rigorous; attempted to gather whether or not I was familiar with the state and the issues I'd be working on.

Interview Question – What are some of the major issues, in your opinion, facing the agriculture sector currently?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation on salary

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview Details – Interview with Chief of Staff. Was offered internship on the spot.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not open for negotiation.

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview Details – I applied online through the senator's internship site. Got a call back within two weeks asking for an interview. Due to my location at that time, I requested a phone interview and they were happy to comply with my request.

Interview Question – How would you handle a frustrated constituent calling?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at U.S. Senate in February 2012.

Interview Details – You need to be referred to an office for any chance at a job. Blind mailing your resume or even replying to an online posting will get you nowhere. If you don't know anyone, make use of your LinkedIn network and get some coffees. Once an office is interested, you'll meet with the office manager (or possibly LD) and probably submit a writing sample. If that goes well, you then meet with the Chief of Staff.

Interview Question – Questions vary, it really depends on the office. I've been asked the plain vanilla, what's your greatest weakness, etc, questions. I've also been challenged about parts of my resume (you worked for X, but the Senator supports Y. Were you wrong or is the Senator wrong?).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There will be no negotiating. Salaries are standard, except for more senior positions. Most offices offer a student loan incentive, though.

Lincoln, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very straightforward and open. After submission of a cover letter and resume, letters of recommendation were requested so that character and work ethic could be reviewed. At least one needed to be from a professor or other educational person. Then, upon completion of resume review, I received a call asking for an in-person interview. I scheduled this, and was then interviewed by two staff members. I waited a couple of weeks and was offered the job.

Interview Question – Really, it was pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Legislative Correspondent Interview

Legislative Correspondent
Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at U.S. Senate in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interviews generally require the candidate to have a knowledge of the state the Member represents. A candidate should expect to show interest in politics, the political principles of the Member, and dedication to those principles.

A willingness to go "above and beyond" is essential. Hours in Congress can be long and require significant commitment. Interviewers are looking for someone who does not have a 9-5 mentality and is willing to work harder if the job requires.

An interviewee should be able to display strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with people - that's what good politics is.

Technical or analytic knowledge in areas such as economics is a plus because it shows that a candidate will be able to analyze data.

Interview Question – Writing samples are often required at the time of the interview. Often, they will provide the candidate with a list of one or two topics currently under debate in the public square (e.g. healthcare, unemployment, etc.) The candidate will have to choose a topic to write an essay on.   Answer Question

Legislative Assistant Interview

Legislative Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Senate in March 2009.

Interview Details – Heard about a junior LC job opening from a friend. Shot my resume to the Chief of Staff. Friend put in a good word. Had one interview. 1 week later received email offering me the job.

Interview Question – Was asked to demonstrate my writing ability on the spot.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at U.S. Senate in March 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process is fairly easy; you apply to the office then wait to hear back. These jobs have intense competition and as such, you need to be stellar and hopefully know someone in the office to guarantee getting in.

Interview Question – Discuss the details of one bill currently being discussed by the Senate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Interns aren't paid.

Interviews for Top Jobs at U.S. Senate

Worked for U.S. Senate? Contribute to the Community!