U.S. Senate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.6

Constituent Services Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

I learned of an opportunity in the district office through my university and sent an email with a cover letter/resume. A couple of weeks later I was contacted to scheduled an in-person interview. The interview was in the district office and required me to answer questions by a panel of three current employees. I was then asked to draft a response to a hypothetical letter from a constituent. It was only about a week before the office called and offered me the position.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you handle a call from an irate constituent?"   Answer Question
    I didn't think to negotiate, as this was my first job out of college. I get the impression there is an opportunity to negotiate a salary, but it depends on the individual office's budget.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at U.S. Senate.

interview with regional director and then sign papers understanding that you are going to not be paid for the position that you have been hired for. its really nice and really fun

Intern Interview

Basic questions such as why you feel your particular elected official is important to your state (mine was of New Jersey), what issues s/he supported that inspired you to want to work for said official, and what sort of background you possess that would lead to success at the office.

You don't need to major in anything political science-related, from my point of view--just be intelligent, look good on paper/presentable in person, and know how to answer the fundamental questions every interviewer asks.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

I submitted the online application which included answering some questions about my interests/past work, submitting a resume, and submitting a cover letter. There was only one interview round and I was notified of the decision 4 weeks after.

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy of the Senator's that you support and why?   Answer Question

Mail Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Had to undergo a series of questions from 3 supervisors, then had to cross train and learn the protocols for data processing and checking mail thoroughly, and lastly properly suit up before doing into the lab to screen the mail.

Interview Questions
    • What gets you most upset when perfoming your job?   View Answer
    8% increase from what I was making as a mail carrier

Speechwriter Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

It's all about who you know. Because I was well connected with someone politically, I felt the skids were greased beforehand. First round interview was on the phone with a chief of staff. The in-person interview was with the chief of staff and the principal. I felt I had already been vetted and approved and the in-person interview felt mostly pro forma.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated a bump in salary purely by bravado and luck

Staff Assistant Interview

They called me for a phone interview and asked some pretty standard questions and it lasted about 20 minutes. The lady one the phone was really polite but let me know that they typically interview around 200 candidates for this position so unless you know someone, you are going to have to find a way to stand out from the pack.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the Senator? List everything you can, it is a test of knowledge and what you can recite off the top of your head.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

I submitted a resume which was then kept on file. I received a call when a position became available about 6 months later and was asked to come in for a formal interview.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview with Chief of Staff. Was offered internship on the spot.

Interview Questions
    Not open for negotiation.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

I applied online through the senator's internship site. Got a call back within two weeks asking for an interview. Due to my location at that time, I requested a phone interview and they were happy to comply with my request.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a frustrated constituent calling?   Answer Question